on 18 January 2013
I use one PC for a variety of tasks from web browsing to doing university work to gaming and I built my latest machine to be as quiet as I could reasonably make it. Before buying a GTX 670 I did some research and checked out a number of reviews and this appears to be one of the quietest, if not the quietest.

If you're not gaming or doing something graphically intensive, the fans on this card are as close to silent as you could reasonably expect. Under load, the fans ramp up, but they're still very quiet in comparison to other cards of similar performance. When you're gaming you'll usually have the speakers cranked up a bit or you'll have headphones on anyway.

Performance of the card is excellent. I have a monitor with a 2,560 x 1,440 resolution which obviously stresses the GPU more than average sized screens. In Sleeping Dogs with everything on the highest setting, but no anti-aliasing, I get an average of 59 FPS in the benchmark at 2,560 x 1,440. The resolution is so high that to be honest, I could barely see a difference between having no AA and having it set as high as it'll go. My previous monitor had a resolution of 1,680 x 1,050 and I could play any game I tried at 60+ FPS with everything maxed out.

All in all, this is absolutely a 5 star product. The performance is top notch and the card runs cool and incredibly quiet.
on 14 December 2012
I expected pretty high things front his card, and it has certainly exceeded my best expectations. BF3 - ultra everything, never dips below 50 fps, even on the most demanding and glitchy maps. Never even dipping below 40 fps when recording with FRAPS.

I'm surprised also by just how silent the 3 fans are, it makes me feel like the card isnt even stretched by even the most demanding games out there at the minute.
on 26 May 2013
Unfortunately the first card that got sent to me kept crashing but the superb amazon returns policy (i returned over a month) is why I will always use amazon from now on. I thought i would have to send the card back so i would be without one (like what aria done to me) and wait for it to be checked and then they will send another but they immediately sent out a replacement card and gave me a month to send back the old when it is most convenient. so apart from the first one being defective this card is absolutely amazing. runs everything maxed out with ease apart from crysis 3 which it can run maxed out but there is a notable drop in fps so turning down a couple things helps. The 3 fans help keep it very cool but despite the 3 fans it is pretty quiet. so if your looking for a great card which isnt too expensive then i would recomend this.
on 5 March 2013
Having only built my Shuttle PC 9 months ago, I was quietly smug about its capabilities. And then Crysis 3 came out, and pulled my PC's pants down. My GTX 570 had run everything else at maximum settings at 1080p with a steady 30-60 fps. Even Planetside 2 I was seeing 50 to 60 fps in large battles. Far Cry 3 was a steady 30fps on ultra settings.

For reference my other specs are: Intel Core i7 3770K CPU, 8GB 1600MHz G Skill RAM, 120GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD.

Crysis 3 however seems to have gone back to its original roots of embarrassing all but the highest end gaming rigs. How it should be I suppose. But I was unable to run it on anything other than medium settings and still then only got 30 fps which dipped to 25 in intense situations. That's just not cricket so I looked to upgrade my card.

My issue is that I have to be careful with a SFF Shuttle PC. I have my rig behind my TV in the front room so full sized towers are out for me. This limits me to carefully choose cards not just by price but by size and power consumption too. Triple width cards are out. I simply can't fit one in the case (without hacking the case up). Also I was pushing my luck originally with the 570 which had a max consumption of 215W. I have only a 500W PSU which I can't upgrade easily.

The Gigabyte GTX 670 made the most sense. Lower power consumption at 170W and dual width meant it would at least fit in my case and not kill my PSU. A lot of the 680 cards would not be suitable for either or both of these limiting factors. This factory overclocked 670 seems to come close to stock 680 performance, plus I really wanted to keep the cost down after only recently building my "new" rig. I was also pleased to read many reviews applauding the very quiet cooler as the stock cooler on my 570 goes into Dyson Mode over 70 degrees.

This card is outstanding. While I still can't max all the details on Crysis 3 out and get over 60fps (think you'd need a dual GPU 690 or SLI for that), I can at least have all settings on high, shadows, textures and water detail on very high and still get a very playable 40-50fps out of it. Needless to say it laughs at Planetside 2 where I now get 80 to 90 fps. Skyrim is permanently sitting on the capped 60fps. The card is also much quieter than my 570, and looks nicer too. Very, very pleased with it, and have had no crashes or system freezes using nvidia's recent 314.07 driver upgrade either.

With Furmark 3D it ran the 1080p torture test in its stride. It kept a steady 45fps, and temperature topped out at 76 degrees, even in my cramped case with limited air-flow. My old 570 shot up to 90 degrees in 60 seconds and kept rising so I chickened out and stopped the test! The cooler on this thing is really something else. Even during this test it was quieter than normal gaming on my 570.

The only negatives are software-based so not really important. Don't bother with Gigabyte's utility software. It's clunky, limited, and for the life of me I could not get their on-screen display or screen capture to work. It also can't do video capture at all. I went back to MSI Afterbuner. The other issue is the "incentive" NVidia offered when buying a GTX 660 or above, which was advertised as £100 worth of in-game cash for any three free-2-play titles. This was a big draw for me as I am a big fan of Planetside 2 which is one of the games they say qualifies. Unfortunately what this really means is that it is split up between the three qualifying titles. So Planetside 2 only gets £33. You lose out if you don't play the other titles. More disappointing still was that if you are in the UK, you don't actually get £33 of in-game cash either. You get fixed, dictated unlocks of a weapon for a vehicle you may not even use (and I don't), and some daft cammo pattern for your guns and armour. Both useless to me. Americans actually do get station cash to spend as they please. Thanks NVidia. What possible reason could there be for differing between UK and USA for virtual money in an international on-line MMOFPS? I've written to them to ask but no response as yet.

Importantly though, hardware-wise this card is a winner. Powerful, cool, quiet, good looking and excellent value for money. Buy with confidence.
on 11 November 2012
Roughly 7/8 the performance of a GTX680 for 3/4 of the price.
Tom's Hardware 2012 Recommended Buy: All-Around Best GeForce GTX 670.
Can't go wrong if you want this year's power without going mad with your money.
on 5 November 2012
This card obliterates my old gtx 470, Bf3 maxed out on everything pushing 80fps, similar story with crysis 2
Would recommend this card to a freind, for the money it is amazing, now i just need to wait for the games
to catch up, at the moment nothing I can find chalenges it....

Edit: I have since upgraded to a 990fx chipset and fx8350 and bf3 is nor running @ 130fps all @ stock settings
get Evga precision x and bump the power to max, the cooler oon this thing is awsum, i've never seen it go over 51c
on 10 April 2013
I've spent a monstrous amount of time looking trough the specs and reviews of countless graphics cards and surfed along i don't know how many blogs and forums in search of the perfect card to my new and limited budget system.

I came to find that its a preoccupation that hits the majority of the users now a days.

When i narrowed it down to 2 final contenders: GTX 660Ti SC 3GB or GTX 670 OC 2GB, I had to review all the specs as the pros and cons of witch one.

To be short ; i don't have the need so it seems to have 3GB since i already have 16GB in the mobo and the 1GB in difference will not pose as a problem, past that we know that the kindle on the GTX 670 is much more powerful and energy friendly and presents a 256 bus interface versus the 192 bus interface of the GTX 660Ti SC preventing bottle-necking with the CPU.

So since the price range was not that much i considered the purchase of the GTX 670 OC 2GB from Gygabyte Frz 3 that carries the cooling of 3 80mm fans the you most of the times have a hard time noticing they are there.

I know play all games in Ultra at both 1920x1080 and 2560 as well at high fps, Crysis 3 plays at ultra at 75fps, never going over 58ºC

Cheers
33 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 November 2012
Powerful, cool & quiet i could go on. I bought one of these several months back to replace a troublesome HD7870 at the time, not a peep out of it since.
on 9 February 2013
Bought this when it dropped below £300 and it it totally worth it. The card itself is surprisingly light for a 670 (I've heard that other models need some support to sit in the mobo properly) however it is pretty large, so I'd check whether it will fit inside your case comfortably. It comes with a "Windforce" cooling system which incorporates 3 very quiet fans, a good heatsink and a copper heat dissipating system. It's currently maxing out every game I've tried (Crysis 2, Far Cry 3 and Skyrim with HD texture mods) on 60+ FPS, remaining relatively cool and quiet so it looks like a good card for the next few years. It comes pre-overclocked to 980 MHz and according to other reports you can get it even higher, but this is something I've not tried yet. One thing to note is that it only comes with DVI and HDMI slots, so if you're using a VGA connection you'll have to get a new cable. Overall a very solid 670 that is at a comparable price to the reference models, I cannot recommend it enough. 5/5 stars.
on 29 January 2013
I bought this card with the intention of clocking it further to get the most out of it. I had read some very impressive reports from the users on overclock.net so wanted to try and get up to their sorts of scores. I got an additional 103mhz out of the core clock, and 280mhz out of the memory before it became unstable in Heaven (all settings on max, 1920 x 1080, full screen).

Whilst I have not had a single problem with FPS in any of the games I play (in fact, they are all very high indeed) it would have been nice to get a bit more out of it but it's all down to luck of the draw based on the chipset you get. Some users are reported +170 core clocks and +700 memory clocks!

Still, a really great card that never goes beyond 58 degrees with all these fans on. Just be advised that whilst it runs very cool, it's not necessarily heat that will hold you back from overclocking a great deal further.