1,034 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely great phone
Published 18 months ago by realessence101

Published on 12 Jun 2012 by D Francis

4.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely great phone, 14 Mar 2013
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy SIII Smartphone (16GB, UK Sim Free Unlocked) - Pebble Blue (Electronics)
This phone is both a beauty and a brain. I was unsure about its size at first, but after reading lots of good things, I decided that this is probably the best one in the market right now. I found it to be a bit big and heavier than my old SI and my hand got tired when I held it for a long time. However, it took me only a couple of days to get used to it. Now I don't find the size to be a problem at all. The design looks better than I had expected. As I have the blue one, I love the glossy back cover. It makes the phone look more sleek. Plus, it fits well in the hand because of the curvy sides (but it can be a tiny bit wobbly if you want to type when it lies on the desk).

As for the software, mine comes with Jelly Bean 4.1.2, which I think is a great improvement from my old Gingerbread. With this update, you can install Google Now, which people say is better than the in-built Samsung S-Voice. Although I don't really use it much in my daily life, I'm impressed by how clever it is. The innovative Smart Stay works in a limited condition. If your face is not directly looking at the screen or if the light is not enough, it won't work. It is nice to have, but I won't depend on it. A big screen means a big keyboard, which helps my chubby finger to type faster and more accurately. The clarity and vividness of the display is stunning. I heard some complaints the dimness. I have to disagree. I don't even have to set it to half the brightness level to get a good picture.

Regarding battery life, which is everyone's concern, I think it is pretty decent, if you know how to handle it. For example, turn off the functions that are not in use, like GPS, Wi-Fi or Mobile data. Don't set the screen too bright (it's even better if you use a darker colour wallpaper). Clear the running applications by using the Task Manager (long press at the home button and then delete). Set reasonable frequency of data syncing. If the phone has to constantly download something all the time, the juice is sure to run out fast (so is your data quota). Importantly, install an energy-saving application. I have been using Juice Defender for many years and I highly recommend it. Especially in the paid version (only costs a couple of pounds), you can select the level of saving mode. I choose Custom Mode, which will turn off the Internet connection when the screen shuts down, but let you select the programmes that you want to keep connecting. This means you can still receive emails and instant messages real time. I did all this and I got my phone battery to last over 18 hours with moderate use (browsing, making calls, watching a few youtube videos). That is quite impressive by a smartphone standard.

Now, the S3 owner's biggest nightmare - the vulnerability of the screen. The phone huge display makes it more likely to crack when dropped on a hard surface. Gorillaz glass can prevent minor scratches, but not a direct impact. A good screen protector is still a must, and for a peace of mind, use a protective case. Sadly, it may compromise the gorgeous design of the phone. But if you will, you might want to choose the one that also covers all the rim of the front screen because it will help if you drop the phone on the side or face down. From many drop tests that I've watched, I notice that the screen tends to crack while the software still works fine.

Sorry for the long review. Like many have said, this phone is outstanding, but it's not perfect. That's why I gave 4 stars. However, so far I am very happy with it and think I made the right decision.

5.0 out of 5 stars S3, 7 Nov 2012
This phone is super quick, responsive and has such quirky features you never knew you needed. There are quite a few movement based gestures which are handy once you've got used to them.

The S3 is very lightweight and comfortable to use, I agree with others that the plasticky back is slightly cheap looking when compared to aluminium of an iPhone, that being said once you put a cover on either device who would know.

It's much larger than an iPhone but as I changed from a Note to S3 it seemed a sizing smaller for me. The screen although reported to be not as good as the newest iPhone I saw no difference personally, the OLED screen is very sharp and colours are very bright.

Jellybean was recently released on these unlocked devices so definitely worth a look if you are in the market for a new phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best smartphone, 8 Jun 2012
Reza (Leeds, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Previous S2 user, before upgrading to S3 I have tried HTC one X, Nokia Lumia 710, and Iphone 4S to make sure that Android is the best operation system and Samsung is the best android handset provider. Now I am sure that it is the best smartphone.

The only phone that you can actually compare with S3 is HTC One X, both of them are very nice phones. I am not going to explain everything here (you can find plenty of reviews and comparisons on-line) I chose S3 (I paid almost £75 more) mainly because of:

1.Better battery,

2.Better grip; Because both phones are relatively large, when you want to wake them up with one hand, on HTC it is almost difficult as you should press the top of the phone but on Samsung it is on the side of the phone and is hassle free (from my view). In addition to that the curves on Samsung make it to feel smaller in hand than its actual size.

3.From my experience generally S3 is faster on everyday use and I think (not sure) it is due to the fact that HTC sense is heavier than Touchwiz. On HTC if you check your task manager regularly you can see that usually about 70-80% of the ram is used but on Samsung it is usually 50-60%

4.I love the hardware home button on Samsung compared to touch home button on HTC.

5.In case you want to sell your phone in future, Samsung showed historically that it does not lose value as much as HTC does.

4.0 out of 5 stars From an iPhone 4 to a Galaxy S3, 5 Oct 2012
Woody (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Just to put things into perspective, I've been using this phone for around 6 weeks now and have found it to be the best phone I've owned. I had an iPhone 4 before this and although it was a great phone it has nothing on the Galaxy S3. Here are a few of my thoughts on why I did not upgrade my old iPhone 4 to an iPhone 5 and bought the Galaxy S3 instead.

Firstly to start off, if you're thinking of buying this phone and/or making the switch from IOS to Android, try it out in store which is exactly what I did before taking the plunge, then I came here and bought it on Amazon for a whole lot cheaper ;)

I chose the SGS3 mainly because of its shear hardware power. It's very fast and responsive and has some great features like the ability to switch on or off the Wi-Fi, mobile data network, GPS etc all via the pulldown notification menu instead of going through a ton of menus. The 8MP camera is great too with its HDR feature which I use often with great results. Browsing the web on this phone is beautiful with its ultra sharp bright display, this was another great reason why I chose this handset.

I also like the fact that Android is so customisable and very easy to share with other devices to boot. The best thing about using Android is that it's so much less restrictive than Apple's IOS platform, for example something which really bothered me before when using the iPhone was how useless its Bluetooth sharing options were, only allowing me to share with other IOS devices but now with Android I can send what I like to whoever I like.

As for its touch responsiveness I think it's definitely on par with my previous iPhone. I was very wary when trying it out in store and found that it didn't miss a beat unlike a friends old Android phone running Gingerbread 2.3 software which left me constantly re-typing odd characters here or there when the touch response failed (but this could have been the phone and not the software I can't be sure).

When it came to battery life I wasn't that impressed... at first anyway. Then I installed a free app call Juice Defender which improved my battery life a LOT! It switches off the mobile data network and/or Wi-Fi when the phone's screen is off and checks for data syncing every 15mins in the background whilst the phone is asleep and this makes a huge difference on saving precious battery life.

Now for my main gripes;

1* Although not a big problem the only downside to using Android for me is its Play store. I've found that Apple's app store has more apps of a higher quality and that some of Google's Play store apps aren't quite up to scratch, an example of this would be where I came across a few apps on IOS that run fine and were up to date on my iPhone but were months out of date with the latest features / bug fixes on the Android platform. This is probably due to the fact that many developers prefer IOS over Android (I've heard they make more money through IOS?). I managed to find just over half of the apps I had on my iPhone in the Play store and then a few more which weren't available on IOS, so it's a bit of give and take on that one.

2* The Samsung Kies software is terrible. Not only is it outdated (for Mac OS X Mountain Lion anyway) but when I run it through the Mac Unarchiver (which is the only way to get it to work) it more often than not fails to sync my device no matter what I try. I'm not gonna list all the things I've tried as it's probably unnecessary but let's just say I've got it to sync about 3 times randomly in about 20 attempts! Even the Android File Transfer (AFT) program will not sync (in MTP or PTP mode with or without USB debugging checked) maybe this program is out of date with OS X Mountain Lion too? Either way I had to use a 3rd party app like AirDroid to be able to sync it and that's why it lost out on a five star rating. If you own a Mac like me this could be a serious deal breaker.
I've heard it syncs fine on Windows so don't be put off if you're a Windows user.

For those of you still wondering whether or not to buy this phone or are still even here reading this review, here is my small list I used, for and against choosing the Galaxy S3 in reference to an iPhone;

For:

# More freedom with apps compared to Apple's restrictive regulations with certain apps in their app store,
# A more customisable experience with widgets & lock screen shortcuts,
# Expandable memory,
# Replaceable battery,
# Large 4.8" display,
# True multitasking,
# More hardware for your money,
# 2 year manufacturers warranty (as opposed to Apple where you have to pay extra for a second years warranty),

Against:

# Not as many Android OS updates,
# Doesn't have a complete premium quality feel being made mostly of plastic,
# Doesn't have as much resale value as an iPhone,
# Can at the best of times be touch and go syncing with Samsung Kies software.

(I could probably add more to the list but these were my main personal concerns in choosing this phone)

It really does depend on what you want in a smartphone, for me I chose hardware over software and by that I mean the specs on my Galaxy S3 are far superior to the iPhone 4 and a fair bit better than the latest iPhone 5 IMHO (others may feel differently). But when it comes to software I feel that IOS wins on that front and that's mainly because Apple don't have to make their software run on so many different devices which causes less problems with compatibility and stability with certain apps and software etc.

Don't get me wrong there are definitely things I miss about using my old iPhone/IOS but it's not enough to warrant me buying back into the iPhone franchise. I still love Apple hardware and will continue to use my Mac but I feel Apple has lost its edge in the smartphone industry... at the moment anyhow.

There are many more points I could make about this wonderful handset but many other reviewers have probably already mentioned them and I feel I've gone on far too much already.

CONCLUSION:

If you want simplicity / basic functions in a smartphone alongside a bit more of a premium feel, get an iPhone, But if like me you want a more customisable experience with really powerful hardware specs, larger screen, memory expansion, replaceable battery, longer battery life etc then get the Samsung Galaxy S3. Trust me you won't regret it.

----------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE!!! (13/11/2012)

It appears that both Samsung and Android File Transfer have released updates to their syncing software for Mac OS X Mountain Lion. My Galaxy S3 is still a bit temperamental with Kies but syncs perfectly with AFT (Android File Transfer). It worked with ICS 4.0.4 and also with the latest through the air update to Jelly Bean 4.1.1

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent upgrade from the S2, 13 Aug 2014
Mr. R. Holden "roger" (England) - See all my reviews
Actually I rate this 4.5 stars. There are not enough negatives to dock a whole star but 5 implies perfection, and while close, it's not quite there.

Deciding on a phone from reviews is tricky as everyone has different expectations. I have had various `smart' phones over the years but the Galaxy S2 was the first 'proper one' with a decent screen and good selection of apps etc. However, 18 months into owning the S2 its limitations began to annoy me. Firstly the Android version was getting old as Samsung wouldn't update it, the 2gb partition for apps was frustrating but above all its performance was a problem with apps crashing or freezing and the phone being slow and unresponsive (even after a factory reset).

So my requirements for a replacement? Well I like Samsung so thought I'd stick with the brand. I wanted more power above anything else so the S3 seemed the logical choice. Despite being a Mac user for the past 14 years I had no desire to buy an iPhone. Why people spend so much on a phone that has a small screen and a non-replaceable battery I'll never know. Most people I know with iPhones don't even know about FaceTime, Siri, PhotoStream etc and just use them for calls, texts, email and camera. Why buy an expensive iPhone for that when there are plenty of Android phones for a fraction of the price?

I guess there's a sweet spot for people where the right tech comes at the right price. The proliferation of Android phones has widened this with devices to suit all at various price ranges and for me it means being one or two versions behind the latest model. Would I have liked an S5 or even an S4? Of course, but I couldn't justify that kind of expense whereas the S3, at just over £200 seemed to me about right and I simply have no need for things like fingerprint recognition when a PIN works fine for screen lock. Neither do I need an uber-mega pixel camera. 8MP is plenty.

So to get to the point, I am really pleased with it. If you're looking for an upgrade from the S2 then there is a lot to like about it.

Good points (mainly compared with the S2)

More up-to-date version of Android (4.3 - no idea if it'll go higher though)
Faster
No 2gb partition on the internal storage which limits the number of apps
Excellent camera for both video and stills. I have a DSLR and like photography and I'm finding I'm shooting more and more with this phone.
Nice large screen
Much better battery life. I'd get a working day out of my S2 now I get a full day
It's light and feels comfortable in hand

Not so good

Sadly there still seem to be some bugs. Although generally faster, some things are still sometimes annoyingly slow. Viewing a photo directly after shooting for example sometimes takes an age.

Sometimes it just doesn't respond. I'll hit an icon (usually the `share' one) and it really isn't that responsive. This disappoints me the most as this is the main reason I wanted to upgrade from my S2

Annoying Samsung bloatware. Why does Samsung put on all this garbage? None of it I need and the S Apps I've tried don't even work. There's one called VideoHub. I start it and it tells me it needs to be updated so takes me to Samsung's store where it duly updates. I start it again, it tells me it needs to be updated and takes me too... you get the picture. There's a sharing app that refuses to work with my DLNA devices as it should and a ChatOn app which also seems completely useless.

However, the Samsung account is useful. The online `find my phone' option seems to work speedily every time I use it unlike the Sony equivalent for my wife's Xperia L which only seems to manage to locate hers about one time in ten.

I probably use it less as a phone than anything else, racking up 20 minutes talk a month if I'm lucky, but, as long as there's a strong signal, call quality is good.

All in all this is an excellent phone and I'm really pleased with it. If a few of the software bugs could be ironed out I'd genuinely give it 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Initially disappointed but now love it!, 17 Jun 2012
I've had my iPhone 3GS for over two years now so it was time to upgrade. I felt there was no point paying the premium for an iPhone contract for a technically inferior product, so an S3 was duly ordered.

Never having used Android before, it took a while to get used to. There are some really basic oddities out of the box. Why can't you turn off the background image? (I had to draw a black rectangle) Why is the minimum brightness (1/255) still so bright? At night it was ridiculous. Thankfully this was fixed by downloading an app called "Lux", but surely this should be built into the device?

Anyway, once I'd got past the slight nuances of Android I began to download apps and widgets (a new novelty for a previous iPhone user). I had to learn from you-tube how to do certain things, such as screen shot (swipe palm left to right) and how to access the camera really quickly (setting up the icons on the lock screen is buried in the settings->security menu). Now I know what I'm doing the phone is an absolute dream!

The screen is magnificent. The camera is magnificent inside and outside. I can unlock the screen and take a photo within 3 seconds, brilliant!

I have noticed a few slow downs which is surprising, but nothing like my old 3GS which was basically a dog but to be fair, pretty old).

My only gripe is that the construction lets it down and it's also a bit slippery in dry hands. I've had to buy a soft silicone case, but that's no bad thing for extra protection.

In conclusion, Android is not as intuitive as iOS out the box, but once everything is configured correctly it completely blows the iPhone away. A good value S3 contract seems to be at least five pounds a month cheaper than an equivalent iPhone contract. You would have to be completely deranged to get the iPhone, it is medieval in comparison. I'll never go back to rip-off Apple.

Get the S3, you won't be disappointed (after a bit of tinkering and configuring)!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best android phone ever, 22 Oct 2012
Got my Samsung Galaxy S3 this morning and i must say i am extremely impressed and you will never get bored with the packed full features, The touchscreen is highly responsive which means you don't get any lag when surfing the internet even on 3g!

However, i didn't realise when i bought the phone so i thought i'd point it out to prevent any others from making the same mistakes. The phone is unlocked to any network which is a bonus, but the phone does not use the old style SIM card and instead you need to request one from the network provider, The phone only takes a Nano SIM. I contacted O2 and they said that they could give me one free of charge and i can still keep my number and bolt on tarriff. So not too much trouble.

IPhone eat your heart out!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great phone, 23 Nov 2012
Dr. R. R. Hilton (London UK) - See all my reviews
Don't get me wrong this is a great phone however one things bugs me. The battery life. I use the phone to its full capacity. I get a reasonable number of emails per day which require answering or checking out in some form or other. I receive more phone calls than I make. Certainly at the beginning I downloaded many apps and so the fact that the battery life seemed short did not worry me inititially. However, now my use is well past the initial setup phase and still the battery does not last for a day. If I manage to get to early evening with 20 per cent I have done well and been pretty economic. As a result I bought myself a second battery and charger. The phone requires a larger capacity battery Samsung!

3.0 out of 5 stars Was nearly the perfect all in one device for reading, music, videos and games., 12 Jun 2012
D Francis - See all my reviews
Update 14/11/13 - Reflecting some of the comments below, at £268 this device is overpriced. Google via Motorola have released the Moto G, while the screen is smaller, the specs bar the SD card slot are very similar and it is nearly half price at £135. The Nexus 5 is only £32 more, and has a 1080P screen, better CPU and RAM. I'm amazed how fast the market has changed in 15 months, but at this price I can't give the phone 5 stars any longer. If it drops to below £200 I could change it to 4 stars, but the Moto G would leave you a lot of change for a dedicated camera or MP3 player and a good mobile device.

Update 24/05/13 - I've sold the S3 and replaced it with the HTC One that I got free on contract. The S3 was definitively the mobile king of 2012, but for 2013 the new king is the HTC One, not the S4.

Update 13/06/12 - If you head over to Blog Clove, you will see a PS3/XBOX 360 controller, USB keyboard and most importantly USB storage in the form of flash and hard disks being able to be connected directly to the device! Once I've managed to try out storage I will update the review.

Update 17/06/12 - USB OTG works, means you can connect to a usb stick or hard drive to use additional storage. You'll need a micro usb adapter connect, but media files work flawlessly.

My Galaxy S2 was lost a few weeks ago and I decided to ditch my contract and go for the S3. My only regret in buying the phone was that I didn't wait until the 64GB version came out, I'll explain why a bit later. Here are the improvements over the S2 and should answer some questions people have about the phone. Please note, this requires a microsim if you have a standard sim.

Positives:
1. Form factor, feels much better built than the S2, not in the same league as the HTC One or Iphone. Fits easily into a trouser or jean pocket, it only weighs a few more grams than the S2. Today in the office the new one has been weighed and compared to nearly every other phone out there and no one has remarked it is too big.

2. Indicator light, there is a flashing indicator light that can indicate missed calls, messages and charging status. This can be controlled by software to when it comes on and I prefer phones with this functionality as it saves powering the screen on and off, so saves battery life.

3. Speaking of battery life, it is nearly 5PM here and the phone is at 68% battery. I've listened to a few albums, played a few games, read the paper on the train and shock horror actually used it for a few phone calls. I took the phone off charge at 8AM this morning and it has lasted a lot longer than my S2. Impressive.

4. Screen is brilliant, as mentioned above being able to read media on the train is even better now with the larger resolution screen. Not sure I would chuck my Kindle just yet due to sunlight, but a brilliant screen with Flipboard included on one of the home screens. Eye tracking software means the phone doesn't lock when reading articles unlike the S2. Playing Cut The Rope is also easier, the bigger screens makes the action more precise.

5. SD card slot, neither the Iphone nor the HTC one have expandable memory.

6. Big enough to replace your TomTom or Garmin Device for the car or on foot. And the phone based application seems to make better routes than the desktop application which may be due to the GPS plotting your location more accurately.

7. Finally, the biggest improvement, enough to justify the upgrade over the S2 is the audio chip. I used to crank up my S2 on the tube, train and it wasn't loud enough. The S3 chip is a Wolfson (used in the S1) and it outshines my Ipod Classic. I've listened to FLAC and 320KBPS MP3 files and the sound is crisp and dynamic and almost analogue like (I'm a vinyl fan). And for that reason, I'm kicking myself for not waiting to get the 64GB version with a 64GB microSD card to hold all my music. Once the new SD card arrives I will be listening to all my favourite tracks to hear how they sound, it is that good. The Ipod is now sitting on Ebay and I'll cross my fingers for an 128GB SD card or resist the urge to trade this in for an S3 64GB when they come out. Audio calls are crystal clear.

8. Seems to notify you of where an incoming call is coming from. I've only seen it recently so not sure if it is a new feature with revised firmware.

Negatives:
1. It is expensive not on contract, £500 could buy a tablet/laptop, MP3 player and low range phone, granted that is three devices to lug about but £500 is a lot of money.

2. Battery still needs to improve if this is to be a true multimedia powerhouse. It's an improvement over the S2, but I still think the smartphone market has much more work to do here.

3. Privacy concerns over Android. As I was updating the software for the apps I had linked to my S2 quite a few had manual updates stating that applications would have the ability to take pictures or/and video at will. The smarter the phone, the more of our life is on there and the more precious our data becomes. The standalone devices mentioned in point 1 would not have those issues (bar the tablet). Android and Apple still lag behind the corporate security standards of RIM devices. So you'll have to check your (manual) updates frequently to see if there are opportunities to take data from the phone without your consent.

Conclusion: It's a brilliant device, as close to a convergence device as you can get right now. These devices will never compete with a camera for pictures or video, sensor size will always be a limitation. But for reading, video, games and most importantly for me music, one device can serve those functions and the S3 is the best device to do that currently.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, much better value than i-phone., 24 Oct 2012
D. G. Atkin (Maidenhead, UK) - See all my reviews
I've given the phone 5 stars because it's worth more than 4, but 5 stars suggests it's perfect and it isn't.

We all know the back is a bit flimsy and plasticky on the S3 but that's not a problem for me. I have the blue version, it has been dropped numerous times and no problem.

It is the best phone out there by a long way for the price. I've had mine for nearly 3 months now and I'm very happy with it.

I'm not technical when it comes to phones so my review comes from a non- technical stand point.
The phone is noticeably quicker than my previous Samsung Galaxy S (at least twice as fast), the battery life is as good if not better. I can get 2 days on moderate use or 24 hours on heavy use.

The camera on it is excellent, the apps that come with it are great and as it's android there are loads of free ones out there rather than having to pay.
My main reason to buy one rather than an Apple is that you have options to add extra memory cheaply and easily which is a very expensive option with Apple. You can also put a spare battery in as and when needed.

I also prefer it's looks to i-phone which looks chunky, but that's just personal taste. It's light and feels good in my hand and pocket. Some people may say it's too big if they have small hands, but the flipside is the screen which reacts brilliantly is also better and easier to look at, especially if like me you wear glasses.

My advice is to try one and see for yourself.

By the way 23 months into a contract on my old galaxy S, I had a problem with the phone. Orange said to inform Samsung as they had a 24 month no quibble fix it policy. It was away less than a week, fixed, updated with the latest software and Samsung paid for everything including postage. That's the service you want from a company.

If you are a bit of a technophobe and like things really simple, never want to add more memory or change your battery and don't mind paying over the odds and feeding a corporate giant buy the i-phone. For everyone else get this phone.