5.0 out of 5 stars The best smartphone
Previous S2 user, before upgrading to S3 I have tried HTC one X, Nokia Lumia 710, and Iphone 4S to make sure that Android is the best operation system and Samsung is the best android handset provider. Now I am sure that it is the best smartphone.

Published on 8 Jun 2012 by Reza

Published on 12 Jun 2012 by D Francis

5.0 out of 5 stars The best smartphone, 8 Jun 2012
Reza (Leeds, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy SIII Smartphone (16GB, UK Sim Free Unlocked) - Pebble Blue (Electronics)

The only phone that you can actually compare with S3 is HTC One X, both of them are very nice phones. I am not going to explain everything here (you can find plenty of reviews and comparisons on-line) I chose S3 (I paid almost 75 more) mainly because of:

1.Better battery,

2.Better grip; Because both phones are relatively large, when you want to wake them up with one hand, on HTC it is almost difficult as you should press the top of the phone but on Samsung it is on the side of the phone and is hassle free (from my view). In addition to that the curves on Samsung make it to feel smaller in hand than its actual size.

3.From my experience generally S3 is faster on everyday use and I think (not sure) it is due to the fact that HTC sense is heavier than Touchwiz. On HTC if you check your task manager regularly you can see that usually about 70-80% of the ram is used but on Samsung it is usually 50-60%

4.I love the hardware home button on Samsung compared to touch home button on HTC.

5.In case you want to sell your phone in future, Samsung showed historically that it does not lose value as much as HTC does.

4.0 out of 5 stars Initially disappointed but now love it!, 17 Jun 2012
I've had my iPhone 3GS for over two years now so it was time to upgrade. I felt there was no point paying the premium for an iPhone contract for a technically inferior product, so an S3 was duly ordered.

Never having used Android before, it took a while to get used to. There are some really basic oddities out of the box. Why can't you turn off the background image? (I had to draw a black rectangle) Why is the minimum brightness (1/255) still so bright? At night it was ridiculous. Thankfully this was fixed by downloading an app called "Lux", but surely this should be built into the device?

Anyway, once I'd got past the slight nuances of Android I began to download apps and widgets (a new novelty for a previous iPhone user). I had to learn from you-tube how to do certain things, such as screen shot (swipe palm left to right) and how to access the camera really quickly (setting up the icons on the lock screen is buried in the settings->security menu). Now I know what I'm doing the phone is an absolute dream!

The screen is magnificent. The camera is magnificent inside and outside. I can unlock the screen and take a photo within 3 seconds, brilliant!

I have noticed a few slow downs which is surprising, but nothing like my old 3GS which was basically a dog but to be fair, pretty old).

My only gripe is that the construction lets it down and it's also a bit slippery in dry hands. I've had to buy a soft silicone case, but that's no bad thing for extra protection.

In conclusion, Android is not as intuitive as iOS out the box, but once everything is configured correctly it completely blows the iPhone away. A good value S3 contract seems to be at least five pounds a month cheaper than an equivalent iPhone contract. You would have to be completely deranged to get the iPhone, it is medieval in comparison. I'll never go back to rip-off Apple.

Get the S3, you won't be disappointed (after a bit of tinkering and configuring)!

4.0 out of 5 stars From an iPhone 4 to a Galaxy S3, 5 Oct 2012
Woody (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Just to put things into perspective, I've been using this phone for around 6 weeks now and have found it to be the best phone I've owned. I had an iPhone 4 before this and although it was a great phone it has nothing on the Galaxy S3. Here are a few of my thoughts on why I did not upgrade my old iPhone 4 to an iPhone 5 and bought the Galaxy S3 instead.

Firstly to start off, if you're thinking of buying this phone and/or making the switch from IOS to Android, try it out in store which is exactly what I did before taking the plunge, then I came here and bought it on Amazon for a whole lot cheaper ;)

I chose the SGS3 mainly because of its shear hardware power. It's very fast and responsive and has some great features like the ability to switch on or off the Wi-Fi, mobile data network, GPS etc all via the pulldown notification menu instead of going through a ton of menus. The 8MP camera is great too with its HDR feature which I use often with great results. Browsing the web on this phone is beautiful with its ultra sharp bright display, this was another great reason why I chose this handset.

I also like the fact that Android is so customisable and very easy to share with other devices to boot. The best thing about using Android is that it's so much less restrictive than Apple's IOS platform, for example something which really bothered me before when using the iPhone was how useless its Bluetooth sharing options were, only allowing me to share with other IOS devices but now with Android I can send what I like to whoever I like.

As for its touch responsiveness I think it's definitely on par with my previous iPhone. I was very wary when trying it out in store and found that it didn't miss a beat unlike a friends old Android phone running Gingerbread 2.3 software which left me constantly re-typing odd characters here or there when the touch response failed (but this could have been the phone and not the software I can't be sure).

When it came to battery life I wasn't that impressed... at first anyway. Then I installed a free app call Juice Defender which improved my battery life a LOT! It switches off the mobile data network and/or Wi-Fi when the phone's screen is off and checks for data syncing every 15mins in the background whilst the phone is asleep and this makes a huge difference on saving precious battery life.

Now for my main gripes;

1* Although not a big problem the only downside to using Android for me is its Play store. I've found that Apple's app store has more apps of a higher quality and that some of Google's Play store apps aren't quite up to scratch, an example of this would be where I came across a few apps on IOS that run fine and were up to date on my iPhone but were months out of date with the latest features / bug fixes on the Android platform. This is probably due to the fact that many developers prefer IOS over Android (I've heard they make more money through IOS?). I managed to find just over half of the apps I had on my iPhone in the Play store and then a few more which weren't available on IOS, so it's a bit of give and take on that one.

2* The Samsung Kies software is terrible. Not only is it outdated (for Mac OS X Mountain Lion anyway) but when I run it through the Mac Unarchiver (which is the only way to get it to work) it more often than not fails to sync my device no matter what I try. I'm not gonna list all the things I've tried as it's probably unnecessary but let's just say I've got it to sync about 3 times randomly in about 20 attempts! Even the Android File Transfer (AFT) program will not sync (in MTP or PTP mode with or without USB debugging checked) maybe this program is out of date with OS X Mountain Lion too? Either way I had to use a 3rd party app like AirDroid to be able to sync it and that's why it lost out on a five star rating. If you own a Mac like me this could be a serious deal breaker.
I've heard it syncs fine on Windows so don't be put off if you're a Windows user.

For those of you still wondering whether or not to buy this phone or are still even here reading this review, here is my small list I used, for and against choosing the Galaxy S3 in reference to an iPhone;

For:

# More freedom with apps compared to Apple's restrictive regulations with certain apps in their app store,
# A more customisable experience with widgets & lock screen shortcuts,
# Expandable memory,
# Replaceable battery,
# Large 4.8" display,
# True multitasking,
# More hardware for your money,
# 2 year manufacturers warranty (as opposed to Apple where you have to pay extra for a second years warranty),

Against:

# Not as many Android OS updates,
# Doesn't have a complete premium quality feel being made mostly of plastic,
# Doesn't have as much resale value as an iPhone,
# Can at the best of times be touch and go syncing with Samsung Kies software.

(I could probably add more to the list but these were my main personal concerns in choosing this phone)

It really does depend on what you want in a smartphone, for me I chose hardware over software and by that I mean the specs on my Galaxy S3 are far superior to the iPhone 4 and a fair bit better than the latest iPhone 5 IMHO (others may feel differently). But when it comes to software I feel that IOS wins on that front and that's mainly because Apple don't have to make their software run on so many different devices which causes less problems with compatibility and stability with certain apps and software etc.

Don't get me wrong there are definitely things I miss about using my old iPhone/IOS but it's not enough to warrant me buying back into the iPhone franchise. I still love Apple hardware and will continue to use my Mac but I feel Apple has lost its edge in the smartphone industry... at the moment anyhow.

There are many more points I could make about this wonderful handset but many other reviewers have probably already mentioned them and I feel I've gone on far too much already.

CONCLUSION:

If you want simplicity / basic functions in a smartphone alongside a bit more of a premium feel, get an iPhone, But if like me you want a more customisable experience with really powerful hardware specs, larger screen, memory expansion, replaceable battery, longer battery life etc then get the Samsung Galaxy S3. Trust me you won't regret it.

----------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE!!! (13/11/2012)

It appears that both Samsung and Android File Transfer have released updates to their syncing software for Mac OS X Mountain Lion. My Galaxy S3 is still a bit temperamental with Kies but syncs perfectly with AFT (Android File Transfer). It worked with ICS 4.0.4 and also with the latest through the air update to Jelly Bean 4.1.1

3.0 out of 5 stars Was nearly the perfect all in one device for reading, music, videos and games., 12 Jun 2012
D Francis - See all my reviews
Update 14/11/13 - Reflecting some of the comments below, at 268 this device is overpriced. Google via Motorola have released the Moto G, while the screen is smaller, the specs bar the SD card slot are very similar and it is nearly half price at 135. The Nexus 5 is only 32 more, and has a 1080P screen, better CPU and RAM. I'm amazed how fast the market has changed in 15 months, but at this price I can't give the phone 5 stars any longer. If it drops to below 200 I could change it to 4 stars, but the Moto G would leave you a lot of change for a dedicated camera or MP3 player and a good mobile device.

Update 24/05/13 - I've sold the S3 and replaced it with the HTC One that I got free on contract. The S3 was definitively the mobile king of 2012, but for 2013 the new king is the HTC One, not the S4.

Update 13/06/12 - If you head over to Blog Clove, you will see a PS3/XBOX 360 controller, USB keyboard and most importantly USB storage in the form of flash and hard disks being able to be connected directly to the device! Once I've managed to try out storage I will update the review.

Update 17/06/12 - USB OTG works, means you can connect to a usb stick or hard drive to use additional storage. You'll need a micro usb adapter connect, but media files work flawlessly.

My Galaxy S2 was lost a few weeks ago and I decided to ditch my contract and go for the S3. My only regret in buying the phone was that I didn't wait until the 64GB version came out, I'll explain why a bit later. Here are the improvements over the S2 and should answer some questions people have about the phone. Please note, this requires a microsim if you have a standard sim.

Positives:
1. Form factor, feels much better built than the S2, not in the same league as the HTC One or Iphone. Fits easily into a trouser or jean pocket, it only weighs a few more grams than the S2. Today in the office the new one has been weighed and compared to nearly every other phone out there and no one has remarked it is too big.

2. Indicator light, there is a flashing indicator light that can indicate missed calls, messages and charging status. This can be controlled by software to when it comes on and I prefer phones with this functionality as it saves powering the screen on and off, so saves battery life.

3. Speaking of battery life, it is nearly 5PM here and the phone is at 68% battery. I've listened to a few albums, played a few games, read the paper on the train and shock horror actually used it for a few phone calls. I took the phone off charge at 8AM this morning and it has lasted a lot longer than my S2. Impressive.

4. Screen is brilliant, as mentioned above being able to read media on the train is even better now with the larger resolution screen. Not sure I would chuck my Kindle just yet due to sunlight, but a brilliant screen with Flipboard included on one of the home screens. Eye tracking software means the phone doesn't lock when reading articles unlike the S2. Playing Cut The Rope is also easier, the bigger screens makes the action more precise.

5. SD card slot, neither the Iphone nor the HTC one have expandable memory.

6. Big enough to replace your TomTom or Garmin Device for the car or on foot. And the phone based application seems to make better routes than the desktop application which may be due to the GPS plotting your location more accurately.

7. Finally, the biggest improvement, enough to justify the upgrade over the S2 is the audio chip. I used to crank up my S2 on the tube, train and it wasn't loud enough. The S3 chip is a Wolfson (used in the S1) and it outshines my Ipod Classic. I've listened to FLAC and 320KBPS MP3 files and the sound is crisp and dynamic and almost analogue like (I'm a vinyl fan). And for that reason, I'm kicking myself for not waiting to get the 64GB version with a 64GB microSD card to hold all my music. Once the new SD card arrives I will be listening to all my favourite tracks to hear how they sound, it is that good. The Ipod is now sitting on Ebay and I'll cross my fingers for an 128GB SD card or resist the urge to trade this in for an S3 64GB when they come out. Audio calls are crystal clear.

8. Seems to notify you of where an incoming call is coming from. I've only seen it recently so not sure if it is a new feature with revised firmware.

Negatives:
1. It is expensive not on contract, 500 could buy a tablet/laptop, MP3 player and low range phone, granted that is three devices to lug about but 500 is a lot of money.

2. Battery still needs to improve if this is to be a true multimedia powerhouse. It's an improvement over the S2, but I still think the smartphone market has much more work to do here.

3. Privacy concerns over Android. As I was updating the software for the apps I had linked to my S2 quite a few had manual updates stating that applications would have the ability to take pictures or/and video at will. The smarter the phone, the more of our life is on there and the more precious our data becomes. The standalone devices mentioned in point 1 would not have those issues (bar the tablet). Android and Apple still lag behind the corporate security standards of RIM devices. So you'll have to check your (manual) updates frequently to see if there are opportunities to take data from the phone without your consent.

Conclusion: It's a brilliant device, as close to a convergence device as you can get right now. These devices will never compete with a camera for pictures or video, sensor size will always be a limitation. But for reading, video, games and most importantly for me music, one device can serve those functions and the S3 is the best device to do that currently.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, much better value than i-phone., 24 Oct 2012
D. G. Atkin (Maidenhead, UK) - See all my reviews
I've given the phone 5 stars because it's worth more than 4, but 5 stars suggests it's perfect and it isn't.

We all know the back is a bit flimsy and plasticky on the S3 but that's not a problem for me. I have the blue version, it has been dropped numerous times and no problem.

It is the best phone out there by a long way for the price. I've had mine for nearly 3 months now and I'm very happy with it.

I'm not technical when it comes to phones so my review comes from a non- technical stand point.
The phone is noticeably quicker than my previous Samsung Galaxy S (at least twice as fast), the battery life is as good if not better. I can get 2 days on moderate use or 24 hours on heavy use.

The camera on it is excellent, the apps that come with it are great and as it's android there are loads of free ones out there rather than having to pay.
My main reason to buy one rather than an Apple is that you have options to add extra memory cheaply and easily which is a very expensive option with Apple. You can also put a spare battery in as and when needed.

I also prefer it's looks to i-phone which looks chunky, but that's just personal taste. It's light and feels good in my hand and pocket. Some people may say it's too big if they have small hands, but the flipside is the screen which reacts brilliantly is also better and easier to look at, especially if like me you wear glasses.

My advice is to try one and see for yourself.

By the way 23 months into a contract on my old galaxy S, I had a problem with the phone. Orange said to inform Samsung as they had a 24 month no quibble fix it policy. It was away less than a week, fixed, updated with the latest software and Samsung paid for everything including postage. That's the service you want from a company.

If you are a bit of a technophobe and like things really simple, never want to add more memory or change your battery and don't mind paying over the odds and feeding a corporate giant buy the i-phone. For everyone else get this phone.

4.0 out of 5 stars From 5 years with iPhone, 23 Sep 2012
This is a review I never thought I would ever write.

After owner every iPhone variation from day one to change to another brand seemed inconceivable to me, but here we go.

Following waiting 18 months for the iPhone 5 to be released I, like many others, felt the new model just couldn't hack it any more and a change was needed.

Bring in the Galaxy S3!

Following buying a Nexus 7 and getting my first taste of the Android operating system I decided to try the new Samsung flagship phone.

I've been using it now for a couple of weeks and although it takes some getting used to the learning curve is actually very easy.

The S3 is extremely fast, the web browser and speed of surfing really does leave the iPhone way behind. The antennas are much stronger and pick up a signal for WiFi and browsing quickly.

Emails, texts etc etc are intuitive and its so much easier to attach a photo to an email than the iPhone ever was.

My only gripe is the camera. Its faster than the iPhone to shoot but there is way too much glare in bright conditions. This could be the settings but I've tried to change them, could be a software glitch, who knows but its very annoying.
Overall for anyone looking to change from an iPhone then the S3 is probably the only good option. The iPhone is still one of the best phones out there but honestly, the S3 is better!

Whether the operating system will prove to be as robust as IOS only time will tell but from revieesn the internet from long term owners its seems all is OK.

5.0 out of 5 stars Old Fogey Finds First smartphone a success, 14 Oct 2012
B. Miller (uk) - See all my reviews
Finally retired my faithful ancient Nokia brick and gone for a smartphone....As I already had an amazing sim only deal I went for buying outright rather than a plan and this worked out as good value divided by 24months!
Very pleased with the S3. I like - turning it over to instantly mute, how it looks, large screen, good colour and sound. The case is gorgeous but almost too smooth - I constantly worried about it slipping out of my hands, so I put a gel case on.The screen blanks when you put it to your ear which baffled me how to finish a call till I discovered that if you look at it the buttons come back.
Reasonably intuitive controls even for grandma like me - did resort to the online handbook for a few things.
Battery life seems really good - admitedly I'm not downloading music videos or playing games or whatever but that was one of the things that put me off getting a smartphone was seeing people having to keep charging them.
It came unlocked and my Sim worked straight away though I had to replace my ordinary sim with a 'mini'? sim.
Still taking some getting used to a different way of connecting with a phone - most things currently take me longer than on my old one! - especially texting but I accept that I have to practice and I'm loving being able to get online when I'm out. I'm sure I'm not using it to it's fullest yet and still a bit nervous with it but getting there. I've tried using a little stylus thingy on it that came with the case - very good.
It picks up wifi indoors and network out and about without a glitch. So yes - 5* for the Galaxy S3- loving it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Smartphone 5*, 7 Sep 2012
I bought my S3 2 days after it was available at amazon and because there was no blue version at the time I went for the white version. Let me tell you that I don't regret it because its beautiful. The reason I haven't done a review until now is that I wanted to see how it will perform as my daily device for more than a month.

After unboxing my S3, my first impressions were positive and than after looking at the device I booted up the phone. The booting time was very very fast and I was very impressed. Here are a few things I love about this device.

1) The screen is just awesome and although being a pentile display that some people might not like I don't have any problems at all

2) This phone is a beast, it makes multitasking easy and runs anything that you put on it. I haven't experienced any lag on anything so far.

3) Removable battery which for me is a must and many phone makers now don't do this anymore.

4) GPS on this device is really really good. It locks up in seconds and it faster than any other device I have used. Sometimes I open Google navigation and by the time I enter the address to my destination GPS is ready to go.

5) Battery life is amazing and a big improvement from the S2 which I also have and used previous. More battery would be nice but being a slim device sometimes you have to sacrifice the battery a little bit.

6) Micro SD is a great thing for me and a must have. Yet again something that other company's are avoiding. I agree that in phone storage is faster but if you need the extra storage for music, videos, books, magazines etc Micro SD class 10 does just fine. Watch out for the new Samsung SD cards at Amazon, they're amazing.

Conclusion: I wanted a device to be able to read books, browse the web fast, play HD videos well and play a few games at times. This phone does all this fast and well which makes up for the price which was 499 when I bought it. Yes there will be better phones in future but if you want to enjoy a brilliant multimedia device which is elegant, fast and well build buy the S3.

4.0 out of 5 stars Android Heaven, 29 Mar 2013
Excellent phone. I foolishly bought a Windows phone - well three actually (the first two crashed after a couple of days!) the other one worked well enough, but it is so nice now to be back with an Android phone, and this is a excellent one! I thought about an S4 but being nearly 200 more thought that a bit excessive, and anyway the rumours are that many of the upgrades on S4 are to be made available for S3 download.

I have only had the phone for a week or so but apart from the very thin backcover - which I half expect to snap in two when ever I remove it - I have no problems with it. I used to like my HTC Sensation but this is superior.

I have been downloading quite a few apps and there is still plenty of memory left,and even if I run out I can add an SD Card up to 64 GB if I choose to. Removable battery also - I know this might seem like a silly point to make - but never very comfortable with Windows phones not having removable battery. It might be biggish compared to many phones but you have got a 4.8" screen - despite that it is easy to handle and feels quite light in the hand.

Screen is great very good colours etc. Range of apps superb including Samsung's own apps.

I would recommend this phone to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely great phone, 14 Mar 2013
This phone is both a beauty and a brain. I was unsure about its size at first, but after reading lots of good things, I decided that this is probably the best one in the market right now. I found it to be a bit big and heavier than my old SI and my hand got tired when I held it for a long time. However, it took me only a couple of days to get used to it. Now I don't find the size to be a problem at all. The design looks better than I had expected. As I have the blue one, I love the glossy back cover. It makes the phone look more sleek. Plus, it fits well in the hand because of the curvy sides (but it can be a tiny bit wobbly if you want to type when it lies on the desk).

As for the software, mine comes with Jelly Bean 4.1.2, which I think is a great improvement from my old Gingerbread. With this update, you can install Google Now, which people say is better than the in-built Samsung S-Voice. Although I don't really use it much in my daily life, I'm impressed by how clever it is. The innovative Smart Stay works in a limited condition. If your face is not directly looking at the screen or if the light is not enough, it won't work. It is nice to have, but I won't depend on it. A big screen means a big keyboard, which helps my chubby finger to type faster and more accurately. The clarity and vividness of the display is stunning. I heard some complaints the dimness. I have to disagree. I don't even have to set it to half the brightness level to get a good picture.

Regarding battery life, which is everyone's concern, I think it is pretty decent, if you know how to handle it. For example, turn off the functions that are not in use, like GPS, Wi-Fi or Mobile data. Don't set the screen too bright (it's even better if you use a darker colour wallpaper). Clear the running applications by using the Task Manager (long press at the home button and then delete). Set reasonable frequency of data syncing. If the phone has to constantly download something all the time, the juice is sure to run out fast (so is your data quota). Importantly, install an energy-saving application. I have been using Juice Defender for many years and I highly recommend it. Especially in the paid version (only costs a couple of pounds), you can select the level of saving mode. I choose Custom Mode, which will turn off the Internet connection when the screen shuts down, but let you select the programmes that you want to keep connecting. This means you can still receive emails and instant messages real time. I did all this and I got my phone battery to last over 18 hours with moderate use (browsing, making calls, watching a few youtube videos). That is quite impressive by a smartphone standard.

Now, the S3 owner's biggest nightmare - the vulnerability of the screen. The phone huge display makes it more likely to crack when dropped on a hard surface. Gorillaz glass can prevent minor scratches, but not a direct impact. A good screen protector is still a must, and for a peace of mind, use a protective case. Sadly, it may compromise the gorgeous design of the phone. But if you will, you might want to choose the one that also covers all the rim of the front screen because it will help if you drop the phone on the side or face down. From many drop tests that I've watched, I notice that the screen tends to crack while the software still works fine.

Sorry for the long review. Like many have said, this phone is outstanding, but it's not perfect. That's why I gave 4 stars. However, so far I am very happy with it and think I made the right decision.