5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet and Uplifting, 10 May 2012
This review is from: Being Elmo [DVD] (DVD)
Over the last month I have seen both Kevin MacDonald's documentary 'Marley' and 'Being Elmo.' Being Elmo is the far superior film.

Charting puppeteer Kevin Clash's rise from poverty in Baltimore, to protege to the great Jim Henson, and ultimately the man behind Elmo. It's a story of self-belief, having to confidence to follow dreams, and ultimately the hardwork required to achieving those dreams.

Suitable for viewing by young children [although they might be bored by the non-Elmo sections of the film.] I also advise viewing with tissues at the ready. There's a scene with a dying child who's last wish is to meet Elmo. I had tears streaming down my cheeks.

Best film of 2012.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Notch Documentary, 15 May 2012
This review is from: Being Elmo [DVD] (DVD)
I have seen some good and bad examples of documentaries. Seeing this at the cinema, I can say that this is darn near perfect. I was like putty in the hands of this movie, completely engrossed and enchanted. I think some people think all you need is an angle or an unusual subject matter to make a documentary, but what you really need is heart and worthwhile subject matter. This film has both by the bucket loads. My favourite film of the film so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars superb insight into the art of puppetry., 6 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Being Elmo [DVD] (DVD)
We bought this as a training video for our church puppet team. It's a superb mix of inspirational story, technical tips and the power of puppets to interact with children's imaginations. If it wasn't mathematically stupid and likely to get me in trouble with The Count, I'd give it 6 stars out of 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 24 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Being Elmo [DVD] (DVD)
Amazingly good. Buy it! Was recommended by a friend and is just fantastic. Very informative and funny to watch A*

5.0 out of 5 stars Great documentary, 3 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Being Elmo [DVD] (DVD)
I sat and watched this with a stupid grin across my face (which was quite an acheivement as I'd broken my foot 2 hours before watching it!). I don't watch many documentary films as a lot are filmed from only one angle or have a hidden agenda in what they show but you get the feeling watching this film that the director just wanted to tell a heart warming story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting story and well made documentary, 23 Feb. 2013
Bjorn van Sinttruije (Ridderkerk, The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Being Elmo [DVD] (DVD)
Being more of an Ernie fan myself, I was curious to see how I would like a story about Elmo and his creator. Long story short: I loved it. The documentary is well made, tells the whole story of Elmo, and though I don't get emotional very easily, this certainly gave me a lump in my throat a couple of times. Kevin Clash is an inspirational man, not just the operator of a puppet.

5.0 out of 5 stars "When Elmo grows up, Elmo wants to be a teacher. Because it's very important.", 18 Aug. 2012
Sam Woodward (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Being Elmo [DVD] (DVD)
This documentary is just as heart-warming & irrepressibly positive as Elmo himself. Growing up in a poor Baltimore neighbourhood, it's no surprise that from a young age, Kevin Clash sought escapism via television. What IS a surprise is that he took it to such an astonishing extent, inspired by Sesame Street to start making his own puppets. And so began a lifelong obsession which took him to being the hands & voice behind Elmo, one of Sesame Street's most popular characters - which seeing as all the other popular puppets were there from the start & Elmo was quite a latecomer, is quite an achievement.

Kevin comes across as an introverted & genuinely humble person. It's great to see someone become successful without it going to his head, no doubt because he genuinely loves what he does. Having himself been encouraged by those who were at the top of the muppet ladder, it's nice to see him now doing the same thing for others & having an impact on the future. It comes across as one big happy, fleecey family!

A charming film about a likable guy behind a warm-hearted creation. Wonderful.

Being Elmo [DVD]
Being Elmo [DVD] by Constance Marks (DVD - 2012)