4.0 out of 5 stars I'm a huge fan of his work
i really wanted to love this book, there were great characters real characters in Tom Sagan and Rabbi Bernstein, but Bene Rowe and the Simon were just too OTT and confused this book between an OTT action thriller and a well thought out well researched historical time slip thriller.
The columbus mystery was something new to me and reading the end of the book...
Published on 15 May 2012 by Parm

2.0 out of 5 stars WHY DID HE BOTHER WITH THIS?
I bought this book on the strength of his other works that I have read. On the whole it seemed like it would be a straightforward historical thriller, however after the first few chapters I had, like one other reviewer here, lost the will to continue with it.

Published on 16 Aug 2012 by W. J. Macgregor

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars WHY DID HE BOTHER WITH THIS?, 16 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Columbus Affair (Hardcover)

Persevere with it I did and I later (Much,much later) finished it on the ferry to France (bad weather,delays, nothing else to read) This was a desperately poor offering from Steve Berry and I was hoping that 'Cotton Malone' would make a guest staring appearance at some stage in the story line to rescue this offering from sinking without a trace.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm a huge fan of his work, 15 May 2012
Parm (A bookshop near you) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Columbus Affair (Hardcover)
The columbus mystery was something new to me and reading the end of the book seperating fact from fiction was very enlightening. The history of Jamaica and the Maroons was also amazingly interesting and has left me wanting more. It was that education and created desire that lifted this from a 3 star to a 4 star book
I hope that Steve works this confused plotting for the next as I'm a huge fan of his work. The amber room is one of my favorite WW2 based Thrillers.
this new book is worth a read but don't let it get ahead of some of the highly recommended stuff in my reviews.
At the same time dont pass it by.
I look forward to what Steve writes next (and hope to see more of Cottom Malone)

Buy it
(Parm)

Product Description
Tom Sagan is staring down the barrel of a gun. He has lost everything he ever loved: his job, his wife, his daughter, his reputation.

What hurts most is that he knows his Pulitzer Prize-winning career as a journalist was sabotaged. He was set up, but he can't prove it. They - whoever they are - have beaten him. So he decides to end his life. But before he can pull the trigger, an enigmatic stranger appears.

Zachariah Simon has Tom's estranged daughter at his mercy. What he wants is something only Tom can supply. It's the key to a five hundred-year-old mystery, one with explosive consequences in the modern world.

On a perilous quest that takes them from Vienna, to Prague and finally to the Blue Mountains of Jamaica, the two men square off in a dangerous game. Along the way, both of their lives will forever be altered - and everything we know about Christopher Columbus will change.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Columbus Affair, 4 April 2014
This review is from: The Columbus Affair (Kindle Edition)
Interesting read a great deal of adventure and it kept you guessing throughout the book. Is it fact or fiction it kept you thinking.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Columbus Affair, 27 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Columbus Affair (Kindle Edition)
This is a compulsive read from cover to cover. Very highly recommended I could not drag myself away from it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Godo tale!, 20 Dec 2013
Lindsay R. Bayne (Reading, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Columbus Affair (Kindle Edition)
Steve B has the knack of narrating well, and whilst there is a similarity to the storyline, there is still the urgency, the page turning will, which I haven't found recently amongst other authors - a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these books, 14 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Columbus Affair (Paperback)
Not read it yet but I know it will be good as are the others Steve Berry has written. Good value, new, quick delivery

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 4 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Columbus Affair (Paperback)
Good book, interesting read. Not Steve Berry's best book, but it will keep you turning pages. Books condition as advertised and arrived quickly and well packaged.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent plot, 2 Oct 2013
S. Manian "subdoc" (westmidlands,uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Columbus Affair (Paperback)
what a good plot and kept me up to finish it in one go. highly recommended,un put downable keep it up

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad after a slow start, 27 May 2013
Matthew Turner "loyalroyal" (Reading, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Columbus Affair (Paperback)
I am a fan of Steve Berry's novels and did enjoy this book. The novel started a bit slowly, in Florida, where Tom Sagan, a disgraced journalist, is about to end it all when he is interrupted by Zachariah Simon, who has Sagan's daughter hostage. Believing his daughter is in danger, Sagan is forced to open his father's grave in search of clues linking to Christopher Columbus and his trips to the New World. Without giving too much of the story away (and other reviewers have given a a good plot summary), the trail leads to Vienna, Prague and Jamaica - with the inevitable showdown. In all cases of this genre, there is some secret, world-changing truth involved, which would cause untold damage if revealed. If Zachariah Simon, the novel's evil genius, had his way, the Middle East would be plunged into an Arab-Israeli war designed to secure Israel's permanent existence. But, to this, he needs the 'treasure'. The end is typical of this genre but is no less satisfying for that.

This does not involve Berry's main protagonist, Cotton Malone (the hero of the majority of Berry's novels), but there are some crossovers in that the Magellan Billet, Malone's former employers, are tenuously involved in this book, as his his former boss Stephanie Nelle. This is a satisfying read in that Berry explores a broken father-daughter relationship, the pitfalls of religious fanaticism, the drug barons of Jamaica, and the sad plight of the Jews in European history. We also have wonderful descriptions of Vienna's St. Stephen's Cathedral and the Old-New Synagogue in Prague. I enjoyed the taut plot and sense of suspense. However, Alle Beckett (Sagan's daughter), comes across as a selfish, naive person, who I did not really care for.

I have knocked off one star as sometimes I felt, or found, following conversations between multiple characters confusing, and had to re-read a passage to make sure I knew who said what. I think sometimes Berry could make it clearer who is speaking rather than stating simply 'he'. In summary I enjoyed this book and hopefully in a future book Malone and Sagan can join forces. Recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars A waste of time, 13 May 2013
This review is from: The Columbus Affair (Kindle Edition)
I am a fan of Steve Berry and his Cotton Malone series. I have read all his books and unfortunately this is his worst. The history of Jamaica and Columbus is interesting, but this information can be found elsewhere. The characters in this book did not resonate with me at all. The character of Tom Sagan has some redeeming qualities. The character of his daughter Alle does not. She comes across as a selfish, bitter woman. I found this book to be extremely disappointing and would not recommend it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›