4.0 out of 5 stars The balls are fun for little ones but boy is it LOUD
After about 30 seconds with this piano I was reaching for the superglue to mute its speakers. There are two volume settings - unpleasantly loud and DEAFENING. I can see no reason why could possibly be a good idea to subject any child (or their parent) to the louder setting. But, superglue in place, it is now just about acceptable.

The twist on the usual piano...
Published on 18 Nov. 2012 by Kate

3.0 out of 5 stars Amusing for toddlers
This toy piano does keep older toddlers amused for a while but the age specification of 12 months plus is perhaps a little ambitious.
Published 23 months ago by J. Coulton

4.0 out of 5 stars The balls are fun for little ones but boy is it LOUD, 18 Nov. 2012
Kate (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LeapFrog Poppin' Play Piano (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The twist on the usual piano toy is that every time a key is hit, a little hammer sends a coloured ball up a tube. This movement really grabs the attention of both my 10 month old and 2.11 year old, they both enjoy bashing it. It is a very sturdy toy and feels durable.

There are four settings:

- colour: pressing a key results in the corresponding colour being sung;

- numbers: pressing a key results in the corresponding number being sung;

- instrument: pressing a key selects selects an instrument and then the toy can be played like a keyboard (the least annoying setting);

- song: pressing a key selects a Leapfrog-authored song (ie not traditional songs or nursery rhymes). All the songs are, in my opinion, awful and I'm not looking forward to the day my children work out how to use this setting.

I genuinely think that the first two settings will encourage my youngest to learn his numbers and colours, so there is educational value above and beyond a standard keyboard, and the balls are very attractive to little ones. It is a very good toy - once muted!

4.0 out of 5 stars A hit!, 27 Aug. 2013
This review is from: LeapFrog Poppin' Play Piano (Toy)
When I initially saw this online, I had doubts whether it was suitable for my 1 year old. I subsequently saw it in a departmental store and tried it out. The colourful leaping balls captivated me from the first go! The keys are arranged in scale thus you can play simple tunes like Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, Row Row Row Your Boat etc. I could only recognise one of the prerecorded songs, namely The Entertainer. Bought it from Amazon as soon as I came home as it was cheaper. My 1 year old loves banging on the keys with fingers and feet(!), making the balls leap vertically (and roll horizontally like a pinball machine!), biting it and carrying it around the room. It is sturdy, well made, no sharp corners, good sound/volume - I don't find it particularly loud. Withstood 4 months of play so far. Kept all of us entertained! The only downsides are (1)would have liked the prerecorded songs to have been popular nursery rhymes and (2) keys ought to have been made more similar to a piano with sharps and flats. Having said that, Highly recommended as a starter piano.

3.0 out of 5 stars Amusing for toddlers, 21 Feb. 2013
J. Coulton "Julia Coulton" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: LeapFrog Poppin' Play Piano (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but poorly designed freeplay mode., 8 Dec. 2014
S. Campbell (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LeapFrog Poppin' Play Piano (Toy)
First off, I received a rather annoying version with american voices instead of the "British voices" indicated on the packaging. This was returned and the replacement with British voices received. Please do make sure you get the correct version when you order.

The item isn't bad but you have to hit the keys quite hard to get the balls to jump up in the air and the relentless fanfare and cheerful voice every time you change mode grates a bit.
The free play mode could be better designed. To choose an instrument you press a key. But to change instrument the child has to change to another mode and back again (with a little fanfare and the voice cheerfully telling you to "press a key to choose an instrument" every single time).
This is fine for older children but I think a bit optimistic for a child of 12 months, which is the age advertised for the product.
Not only this but the free play mode doesn't actually have 8 different instruments or sounds. 2 of them are "tunes". Each key plays a little tune rather than a sound, preventing the child from actually "playing" the keyboard. However, on the positive side, the quality of the piano, organ etc is pretty good.
The available sounds are as follows: 1= piano tunes. 2 = piano, 3= "silly sounds", 4 = organ, 5 = organ tunes, 6 = harpsichord, 7 = "popping sounds", 8 = synthesizer.

5.0 out of 5 stars LeapFrog Poppin Play Piano, 17 Oct. 2013
This review is from: LeapFrog Poppin' Play Piano (Toy)
This is brilliant my daughter loves it, it Is for her for christmas but when I was unboxing it it caught her eye I tried it out and it really caught her attention she is 5 months old and 7 months at christmas I know this is a lot earlier than it says but I thought why not because I can sit and play with it with her. It has different options for songs, colours and numbers it is great with lots of songs I would definitely recommend this

3.0 out of 5 stars Very noisy, 15 Feb. 2014
This review is from: LeapFrog Poppin' Play Piano (Toy)
It occupies my eight month baby for a long time. However it is very loud even on the low volume setting and keep saying like "press a key to chose a song" which can be districting when the baby is concentrating on other thing. I find it a bit overpowering for young kids curiosity. It is good for entertaining for a while but not for learning music.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok, 20 Nov. 2012
Joey (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: LeapFrog Poppin' Play Piano (Toy)
The toy has four different settings which change the output of the keys. As you strike the keys the corresponding balls rise up in the valve, this showing a consequence to the child.
. It is bright and colourful and has the pre-requisite noise that kids seem to love but my 10month old just isn't very interested in this toy. It is ok but not a favourite.

4.0 out of 5 stars lots of fun!, 17 Nov. 2012
This review is from: LeapFrog Poppin' Play Piano (Toy)
I bought this for my 1yr old for Christmas but let my number-mad 3.5yr old have a go with it before putting it away and he's been having a right little giggle to himself. The piano sings the numbers to the normal notes in an octave. I've knocked a star off the rating because in the colours mode the piano sings again and 'brown' isn't very clearly pronounced. For the price it's definitely worth it. I was looking at a fisher price baby grand piano but i'd say this does as much as that for a fraction of the price and storage space and the poppin' balls probably make it more fun than flashing keys because everything flashes these days doesn't it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, 21 May 2014
This review is from: LeapFrog Poppin' Play Piano (Toy)
Birthday present for my 1 year old. Daughter loves it, plays with it alot even my 3 year old likes to play with it

3.0 out of 5 stars piano for my little boy, 8 Dec. 2013
This review is from: LeapFrog Poppin' Play Piano (Toy)
This was the 2nd time ihave bought this item as the first one has malfunction electronically but my wee boy likes playing with it with sounds so I have to buy another one but the same story the electronics is not as sturdy as its body.

LeapFrog Poppin' Play Piano