1,359

on 16 January 2015
They almost managed to steal my bike with this lock. I guess they spent some time trying to cut it out when somebody stopped them or they simply just gave up. Attached some photos with it now. I will definitely buy it again !
review image review image
22 comments| 203 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 August 2012
Pros

- The company will refund the cost of the bike (up to £800) if you register your lock and your bike with them on their website if your bike is stolen.
- Lock feels substantial and will certainly deter the opportunist thief.
- Solid cable, which ensures more complete protection for the bike, allowing you to tie in the front wheel too.
- Affordable - well-priced for the protection it offers.

Cons

- Lock/cable is fairly heavy to carry around.
- Key lock can be a bit fiddly to operate: I worry a little that in the future this could lead to difficulties with being able to unlock it but it will probably be fine!
66 comments| 127 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 July 2014
I just want to add:
* Mounting was quite simple and appears to be solid; see attached picture.
* Cable is long enough to go through front wheel and back to the U-lock on the rear wheel

So far I am really happy :)
review image
on 19 February 2010
I was inspired to write a review of this lock because I've only had it a week and it's already stopped my bike from being nicked! There's no higher praise for a lock than that. They had managed to cut through the black coating around the shackle but that was as far as they got - they broke the front gear shifter of my bike in the process but couldn't shift old Krypto. Perfect.

So this lock is definitely secure (8/12 on their scale) and the D/U is a good length and width for going round front or back wheel plus frame. Cable is a great addition, I use it to secure a quick-release front wheel whilst the D is around back wheel and seat tube.

You could argue the lock is fairly heavy but that's only because of it's quality. All in all I'm 100% satisfied with this lock, highly recommend.
33 comments| 96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 August 2013
I used this lock to take my mountain bike all over the place, and I have evidence that it does the job.

My bag got stolen, which had my bike locks keys in it. Due to this, my bike was locked up in a dodgy part of town, and I had no way of retrieving my bike other than cutting it lose.

Tools we used: Fireman bolt cutters, handsaw, a van, a saw.

All of those failed. The bolt cutters left about an impressive mark on it as a toddler would if it chewed it. The handsaw did nothing, the van did nothing, the saw did nothing.

In the end we had to use a mains powered angle grinder and a diamond level saw disk, even then it took a good 15 minutes and the diamond level saw disk was in complete tatters, and had to be thrown away.

Not bad for £20. Although the difficulty was with the MAIN LOCK. The extra CABLE came off pretty easily.
22 comments| 167 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 August 2010
Bought two of these for my girlfriend and I.And guess what? Same key opens both locks.
Still think your bike is safe?
22 comments| 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I bought this lock on a recommendation from The Wirecutter group test. My previous bike lock was a combination+cable lock. I only found out how rubbish it was when my bike got stolen. So, for my new bike, I wanted to be sure of getting the best lock.

Frankly, if it wasn't for the recommendation, I would never have looked at a D-Lock like this, since I had assumed they were too heavy to carry around. What I didn't realise is that it comes with a handy adapter that allows you to mount the lock to your bike frame when not in use. This works very well for me - it holds the lock very securely. No wobble, no rattle, and you really don't notice it's there until you need it.

Some reviewers on this page have said they found the adapter impossible to fit. I must admit that I struggled at first, because I am a man and I don't like to read instructions. When I eventually did read the instructions, it all became clear, and I had the adapter fitted in under 5 minutes (it's a plastic mount attached to a nylon tether; you loop the tether through the mount, and tighten an allen nut to secure the tether. The secret is to push down the plastic against the frame as firmly as possible so that the nut engages - then it's easy).

Also, there are 2 keys included (just in case you lose one). I'd recommend storing the spare one somewhere safe!

The only quibble I have is with the 'insurance'. The fine print is so full of exclusions that it's basically worthless. If you do a little Googling, you'll find numerous stories of the company not paying out in the event of theft. But search a little further, and you'll see videos of just how much noise and effort it takes to get through this lock - rest assured that *nobody* is going to cut this lock without attracting a *lot* of attention.
HALL OF FAMETOP 10 REVIEWERon 20 September 2014
I decided to buy 2 of these for our new mountain bikes because I had heard a lot of positive things about the product from my brother in law who is a mountain bike enthusiast.

Given that top quality ones can range from £50-£100 I didn't expect that much from the product given the low price tag however when I removed them from the packing it was evident that they were made of high quality material that's fit for purpose.

They are reasonably easy to apply and to take off but do take several minutes to do so which is common with any lock of this design. We have used them a considerable amount of times in areas that you would not choose to leave your bikes but we haven't had them stolen although certain thieves have tried which was evident with the knife punctures in both tyres.

I recently went shopping to a 'high end' specialised bike store with my brother in law and he showed me the £50-£100 locks that were available. Yes they were very high quality but even the £100 ones were not that much better than this product.

I have now been using the product for a considerable amount of time and have not experienced any problems with it. It has performed the desired task to an exceptionally high standard and I would therefore highly recommend it.

Feedback:
If you wish to provide feedback on this review then please follow the link below.

Thanks
on 30 August 2010
Despite a sold secure silver rating, this D-lock will not stop thieves for very long at all. After my bike got nicked, I found the remnants of my lock a few days later and it seems that bolt cutters get through the D-lock with relative ease - nice clean cut without any suggestion of the thief struggling with it much at all.
Would not use this lock again on a £500 bike (despite sold secure silver supposedly being rated for bikes up to £1,500).
On the upside, I didn't find the lock very heavy...
44 comments| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 December 2013
not even superman can take my bike now. I've always known superman one day may turn bad and when that day comes if he wants a bike ride it won't be on my bike haha