I wasn't drunk, honest.

Read the packaging for the description.

And giggle yourself into a stupor. The Sarah Palin-esque President. The second Generation NAZIs thinking they bring peace. The United Nations spoof. So many figures and caricatures lampooned.

Published 20 months ago by harpoon guns to 'safe', please

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad taste bad writing disappointing!!!:(
Can't believe I'm in the very small minority here but I was so looking forward too this but was left extremely disappointed.
Some of the characters are fine but some are just awfull especially the president and the dark haired lady that somehow ends up leading the short lived NATO attack on the fourth reich.
The comedy was often cheap and in poor taste I found...
Published 3 days ago by Richard Lewis

5.0 out of 5 stars TEN Stars. Is this the most magnificently absurd film ever made ?, 11 Nov 2012
I wasn't drunk, honest.

Read the packaging for the description.

Doctor Strangelove for a new generation, perhaps ? I know, not in that league for satire, "Gentlemen; you can't fight in here. This is the war room !" will not be beaten but this is truly, amazingly funny, albeit heavy handed. Sometimes I don't see the satire others do in movies; maybe this is just heavy handed enough to get through my Brummie skull, but it's a long time since I laughed this much.

I don't know what to say really, I've never seen anything funnier-except perhaps positive reviews for "Titanic".

I don't know how many times it will have to be watched to get all the gags; like "Airplane", there is so much on show, so many sly howlers.

Another example of how CGI can let a team with a brilliant concept and little money put a work of sheer genius out. While with ***t like Transformers, no idea and buckets of cash produces only poo.

A bad taste classic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun film that entertains admirably!, 29 Dec 2012
John Milton (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Iron Sky [DVD] (DVD)
With Mrs Milton away for the evening, I had free reign in my Penthouse of Horror to do whatever I wanted... I decided to go for a three movie marathon centring on everyone's favourite villains, the Nazis!
First up for me was Iron Sky, a German-Finnish co-production, described as a "dark science fiction comedy" which was filmed in Australia!

It's fair to say that I didn't sit down to watch this film with high expectations. However, on viewing, I was pleasantly surprised. With a reported budget of a little over 6million, the end product is incredibly well-polished. That's not to say the movie is perfect, far from it, in fact. As was to be expected, Iron Sky is incredibly reliant on CGI but with a movie concerned with a Nazi invasion from the dark side of the moon, it would have been foolish to hope for anything else!

There are some great, over the top performances here, in particular from horror legend Udo Kier (Blade, Suspiria, Blood for Dracula, Flesh for Frankenstein) hamming it up as Moon Führer Wolfgang Kortzfleisch and Götz Otto (Tomorrow Never Dies, Schindler's List) as the power hungry Adler. Julia Dietze takes centre-stage in this film as the wide-eyed and innocent young scientist who has been raised on the moon and spoonfed nazi propaganda since birth and Christopher Kirby (Daybreakers, Queen of the Damned) is the source of much of the humorous scenarios found within Iron Sky.

The film has been faulted for the incredibly unsubtle stabs and satire at the expense of US foreign policy and indeed, US politics but for me, this added to the charm of the movie.
Ultimately, Iron Sky delivers exactly what it promises. If you're looking for high-brow entertainment, this certainly won't be for you. On the other hand, if you're looking for a sci-fi adventure with a heavy dose of humour that doesn't take itself too seriously at all, I'd suggest that this is the best Nazis on the moon movie you'll ever see!

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprised how much I enjoyed this., 15 Aug 2013
Miss AL Holloway (Oswestry) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Iron Sky [DVD] (DVD)
I must admit, this film did not really appeal to me when I first heard of it. Nazis in space just seemed a little silly to me. Luckily, the majority of the internet disagreed, and this film was crowd funded, and got made. I watched it with some friends the other night and despite thinking I would probably not like it, I was pleasantly surprised. I not only laughed a lot, but I thought it was a very clever satirical look at politics today. I also thought the effects were very well done, and that there was a lot going on in the background. The end credits were particularly clever, worth a second look if you missed it!
Who would this film appeal to? Anyone with a sense of humour, particularly if you enjoy sci-fi and/or political satire. But then, I wouldn't say I was big fan of either, and I absolutely loved it, so there you go. Give it a try, you never know. I'm glad I did!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good comedy, great effects, 21 Sep 2012
C. R. Markley (Auckland New Zealand) - See all my reviews
I enjoyed this more than I expected. The humour is definitely not american and as such is refreshing. They did very well with the special effects.

4.0 out of 5 stars A novel idea that doesn't take itself too seriously, 6 Jun 2012
J. Morris "Josh" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Originally this started life as just a trailer. The interest that it generated from the internet was astounding and a series of low-level, largely Scandic, film funds grouped together and made this a reality, this truly is crowd-funding at it's essence. With that said, there are an unfathomable number of movie houses showing their logo at the beginning to this film!!

The Nazis are back, they've been hiding out on the dark side of the moon and have been recuperating and rebuilding their forces. When American astronaut James Washington (Christopher Kirby) is captured during a re-election press stunt to the moon, he becomes the impetus for the Nazi's to launch their largely mechanical space-fleet (complete with space Zeppelins and flying saucers) to conquer Earth. However, their limited technology means they are badly outmatched, and due to Nazi Earthologist Renate Richter's (the beautiful Julia Dietze) sympathies for Washington, the invasion might not go to plan. Will they manage to launch the behemothic Götterdämmerung?

This film knows it's about a stupid subject, but has some pretty sensitive issues to deal with, Nazis, War and Race. When the Nazi scientist "albinises" Washington, he spends a good part of the movie playing a white-man, so it's all a bit silly anyhow - it's all handled well. The CGI on the moon-base and Zeppelins is fantastic and there are some funny swipes at government and international space programs. The President of the United states is a funny slant on an easily recognisable person in US politics. So all in all, this is not the smartest film out there by a long shot, but it is slap-stick funny on numerous occasions and the sets, costumes & CGI have had an awful lot of thought spent on them, it's just let down by a flimsy script and some questionable race-jokes. Acting is an acceptable standard - especially Udo Kier (perennially the bad guy!) and Götz Otto as Fuhrer Adler and the jokes keep coming for the entire 90 minute bit.

Recommended for a funny, yet novel, science-fiction spoof!

5.0 out of 5 stars Space Nazis from the moon, 21 Sep 2012
This review is from: Iron Sky [DVD] (DVD)
The film is about Nazis from the moon. It is very silly. It is great fun. It has a fabulous soundtrack and some good nods to other films/genres.

5.0 out of 5 stars Future cult classic, 21 Jun 2012
KM (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
I borrowed this from a work colleague before deciding to buy.

I'm not going to buy it yet but. . .I did enjoy it thoroughly as did my son (14) , the daughter (20) thought it was total rubbish, bloody twilight fan :)

Iron Sky is the story of the Nazi's realising they're defeated at the end of WW2. They've secretly built a rocket to escape earth and colonize/rebuild the empire on the dark side of the moon! Brilliant story. Cut to present day and a Sarah Palin-esque American president is losing in the ratings and is advised to send a black astronaut to the moon to boost her popularity. The sci-fi comedy that ensues from here on in is great in my opinion!

Iron Sky turned out to.be everything I was expecting. . .

Nazis in space Yes! B movies parody Yes! Tongue in cheek comedy including racism and anti Americanism Yes! Great spaceships and Nazi UFO's Yes! Terrible script with so bad its good acting Yes! Nazis speaking German with English subtitles in parts which just adds to the movie Yes! and to top it all off the 'Gotterdammerung' to be seen to be believed, wow! There's even a German scientist and a Downfall parody in there too!

Bluray-wise the picture quality is bang on for me. Crystal clear with vibrant colours, great detail on uniforms, German bikes with sidecars, shots of the moonbase and the UFO's and other craft! Nice and clear in darker scenes so all is good there. Audio isn't amazing but loads of bass so power your subwoofer up for the battle scenes folks!

Don't take it seriously, it is a comedy, loved the ending and will watch this again definitely!

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it promises on the tin!, 29 May 2012
This review is from: Iron Sky [DVD] (DVD)
I saw the cinema screening of this at the Prince Charles last night, and I've ordered the DVD because I know I'll want to watch this again. I was a bit concerned as I've read some lukewarm reviews in the press but I loved it! It was exactly as you'd expect a movie about Nazis from the dark side of the moon invading earth to be like. Yes, it is a bit ridiculous but that is to be expected. I was pretty amazed with what they managed to do with the special effects budget with so little money. I've seen films that have spent 20 times as much and ended up with effects pretty similar.

So if you like silly B-movies, you'll love this and if you don't, I'm slightly confused as to why you'd start watching this in the first place...

5.0 out of 5 stars Das Ist Gut!!, 2 Jun 2012
Well, well. Who would have thought an independently funded joint Finnish/German/Aussie could knock the socks off just about every mundane film the US production line has churned out of late.

Part steam-punk, part sci-fi, part war and part political satire, the movie is deliciously entertaining. Moves at a fast pace too, from the moment the first men on the Moon in 36 years (so they thought) discover a secret Nazi base where latter day Aryans are plotting to invade the Earth. Perhaps occasionally a bit cliched but there are some wonderful movie homages including the infamous Downfall, where Hitler dismisses all but his generals from the bunker and a bit of Starship Troopers. The US president is an unashamed Sarah Palin alike.

Very satisfying ending too, perhaps leaving the viewer to contemplate who the worst race actually is plus hints at a sequel.

Imagery is of necessity quite dark in places but the Blu-ray transfer keeps up and the sound is good too.

Well worth watching and glad I purchased this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Quality Embossed Steelbook, 25 Feb 2014
UK - Iron Sky Dictators Cut
Another Good quality black matte finish (non streaky). Heavy embossed title (you can feel the embossing on this) in a spot gloss finish. Very nice.
I'll add, the finish on this steel is amazingly good. The paint job has a sheen to it. There's no streaks at all, not a one. It doesn't feel like a matte varnish, it feels like some gloss is on it, but it's not glossy, except for the title.

A very very nice effort from 4 digital media.

Iron Sky [DVD]
Iron Sky [DVD] by Timo Vuorensola (DVD - 2012)
9.37