on 28 September 2012
This is nicely built and feels solid. It has a slim profile despite including a DVD drive. Comes with a restore DVD which is helpful, most others expect you to make your own. It can also restore from a HD partition so the DVD is only needed for complete drive failure.
Some of the additional Samsung software is a bit unnecessary (helps with settings and launching programs), I suppose some will find it helpful, but I spent time removing it.
But the best bit is the fast boot technology, helped by a 16Gb solid state drive which makes a big difference to booting and an even bigger difference to wake-up from sleep. This works and is almost as good as wake-up on an iPad.
The power brick is reasonably compact so this makes it a good laptop to carry around, although it is not light (hence feels solid). Keyboard has a soft but precise feel and screen, with a matt surface, is sharp and reasonably bright.
As you can probably tell, I'm a satisfied customer after 1 month of use and can recommend this if you get it at the right price.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 19 October 2012
I have now had this laptop for 2 weeks and can say it is an amazing one and well worth it too.
I ordered it Thursday night and got it on Saturday morning with standard free delivery.

The only annoying thing about it is the internet. When I got mine I got really crappy download speeds. I was downloading at kb/s having 100mb broadband. Obviously there was something wrong. After a day of researching this problem ,(and I even got to the extent where I was about to return it), I found out that you need to update the wireless driver which you can download from Intel. This pushed the speed right up. This is to let others know about this fault. Also do not be fooled when Samsung is telling you that your wireless driver is up to date, it lies!

Other then that, it has a great body and firm hinges especially compared to my previous Vaio. The mousepad is way too big but I don't mind! It also allows multi-touch. The keyboard is just like a mac keyboard too. The battery if put on high performance lasts 4 hours and 33 mins. More than enough for me to be honest.

I would definitely recommend this laptop to anyone who wants a good performance for a cheap price!
on 26 September 2012
Seems well-made and looks stylish. Light(ish) and noticeably more compact than 15.6", without screen seeming too small (screen is actually good). Fast start up - no doubt helped by SSD (not available for user storage) - and performance from fairly modest i3 processor more than adequate - good , in fact - for my needs (multiple office applications, multiple browser windows mainly - no noticeable difference from my more powerful desktop used in this way). Keyboard has well-spaced (chiclet) keys and although not as positive as a "proper" keyboard is perfectly satisfactory. I found touchpad too sensitive in "single tap" mode and have disabled just that mode but otherwise it seems as good as most touchpads I've used (scroll, zoom, page turn etc work well). Does not come with too much "bloatware" and the supplied Samsung software (including recovery disk and partition) seems well-chosen. Battery life OK for the way I want to use it (4+ hours I've found). Overall very pleased (worth 4½ stars I would say), particularly as able to take advantage of Samsung's £100 cashback offer.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 21 November 2012
Have this lap top just over a week and really pleased with it. Keyboard and mouse pad are excellent. Good screen brightness. A little chunkier than other Ultrabooks. I'm not a gamer and just needed it for routine stuff and working on spreadsheets and documents...Perfect for this and good value if you don't need a more powerful machine. I didn't have any issues with connection speeds mentioned in other review.
on 6 December 2012
I bought this as an upgrade to my 4-year-old Toshiba laptop and the difference is huge. The laptop has a good build quality and is mostly metallic casing, which looks great but does get a bit cold. The screen is good and I'm very impressed with the boot times - the SSD really makes all the difference. Battery life seems pretty good, too. Overall, this laptop is great.

The only downside is that the drivers for wireless networking are out of date, which can cause severe issues (I was unable to stream from iPlayer on the laptop, but my PC could do it just fine!) However, there is a very simple solution; you can go to the Intel website (link at the end of the review) and download the drivers there. This entirely fixes the problem.

Other than this one small problem, the laptop is excellent and well worth the money. I'm entirely happy with my purchase!

Drivers link:

[...]
(the best option to pick is the 4th one down)
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 13 May 2014
It's a fantastic laptop fun, sleek and overall enjoyable to use.
I have but two criticism's, firstly the matter of overheating. It is indeed a very slim laptop, and that's great in some aspects but not when it comes to having a decent size fan for the respective laptop power. It runs high spec games amazingly and I use it mainly for that, however with the processor being so powerful and the ability to run these games comes the issue of the fan. It is slim and compact, and well obviously it has to be to fit in the laptop. However it is not anywhere strong enough to combat the amount of heat produced by the sheer power of the laptop. This unfortunately leads onto my second criticism, the crashes. This laptop does seem to have an operating system that crashes due to a variety of reasons. The first is most definitely driver issues, the inbuilt Samsung automatic driver installer is good, however it has a habit of installing outdated or incorrect drivers on a rare occasion. Which of course can cause issues.
The biggest crashing issue I have encountered has been the issue of overheating. Which of course is very dangerous for the health of the laptop. I have had to start using external cooling fan mats, for my laptop, which is not a bad thing, but I struggle to find one that's the right sort of power for the lack of power in the laptop fan.
Overall bluescreening is an issue, and you'll 100% encounter one within the first months or so of usage, however, once you get over the driver issues and if you game, the issue of finding a cooling fan, this is the most enjoyable laptop I have ever had the fortune of playing about with.
And I thoroughly suggest it.
4/5
on 28 November 2012
I bought one of these from Amazon in July, and have had to return it because of multiple crashes with the infamous Blue Screen of Death. The self generated reliability report was showing around 2/10 for reliability. Amazon were brilliant as usual, and took it back without a quibble. I was sure that this was a one off, and received another a week ago. So far it has failed 8 times, each with the same error code as all the failures on the previous machine.

When it worked it worked brilliantly, but random black-outs followed by blue screen and a restart mean that I no longer have faith in it and have gone to a different manufacturer for my next laptop.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 9 September 2013
I bought this laptop a few weeks ago, and I am now ready to provide feedback.

Pros:
* The Core i3 CPU is fast enough for a normal use, such as browsing, watching HD videos (including iPlayer and YouTube), Microsoft Office 2013 etc. Don't believe the marketing hype about Core i5 or i7 CPUs, unless you do some very intensive CPU tasks, such as video editing or games (but then an ultrabook is not the answer for those)
* 6GB of RAM is plenty of memory. Windows 8 only uses about 1.5GB when a few applications are running
* Due to the built-in expresscache Sandisk iSSD (16GB), hibernation/stand-by and resume is very fast (a few seconds) with Windows 7
* 500GB hard drive, despite being only Sata 2 and 5400 rpm, seems to be fast and quiet (no clicking or spinning noise)
* Laptop is very quiet, even when the fan is on
* Laptop is reasonably cool, at least the palmrest
* Very good sound quality from the speakers
* Non-reflective, mat screen is very appreciated. Too many laptops have shiny, highly reflective screens
* Screen contrast and colours are very good
* In such a small/slim laptop, very good for Samsung to have 3 USB port (two USB 3.0), full size HDMI and VGA ports, network port, plus a DVD drive!
* Not too much bloatware from Samsung out of the box
* Good multitouch touchpad (for instance, two fingers for vertical scrolling)
* Only reports to use around 7 watts in normal use
* very small power adapter
* Good built-in webcam

Cons:

* Built-in microphone seems to be a bit useless
* Center of the keyboard flexes a bit when typing
* Bottom of laptop and lid is plastic, does not seem like a very robust laptop compared to some Thinkpads
* lack of physical buttons for volume up/down (has to use FN key)
* No back light on keyboard

Additional points:

* While the hard drive included is only Sata 2, the motherboard is compatible with Sata 3 drives. The hard drive is just a standard model, and not a hybrid version
* The expresscache Sandisk iSSD included (16GB) is soldered on the motherboard and cannot therefore be upgraded. While it's much faster than a Sata 2 hard drive, it's slower than a proper Sata 3 SSD. It's not really possible to control what is cached on the iSSD: the service monitors and determines the files. Even when using some command lines to specify folders or files to be cached, the software can override those
* Easy to upgrade RAM and hard drive (compartment under the laptop, unusual for ultrabooks). However, battery cannot be replaced. Possible to restrict the charge to 80% to extend the battery life
* There is a recovery partition on the hard drive, and it's possible to restore as per factory settings in a matter of minutes
* By default, windows hibernation is disabled by Samsung and replaced by Expresscache and Intel Rapid Storage, meaning that the hardware takes care of the hibernation rather than Windows
* Some people have reported issues while installing windows 8 from a USB stick (setup gets confused with the iSSD drive), but there are no issues installing from a DVD

Conclusion: despite a few flaws, a very nice ultrabook with a large screen and built-in DVD drive, and also one that can be upgraded! Computer seems to be very stable, and has not suffered from poor wifi connections or other issues reported by some people.

Update 1:

* I have now replaced the hard drive by a Sandisk Ultra Plus SSD, along with Windows 8.1, and the computer is flying. Memory usage has also dropped significantly, from 3.3GB (Windows 7) to 1.5GB. I don't use anymore the iSSD for Expresscache (but just as standard storage), since the main SSD is faster. The Ultra Plus SSD achieves 470MB/s in sequential read and write, while the hard drive was less than 80MB/s, so a significant boost.
Windows 8.1 hibernation/resume is as fast as the solution with the iSSD on Windows 7 provided by Samsung.
* Windows 8.1 installation from a DVD created no issues, and all the drivers are available from Samsung (SW update). The software update application from Samsung has to be tuned with the compatibility mode in Windows 8.1 to make it see "Windows 8" (instead of 8.1), else it won't detect the type of computer automatically and will only allow the download of drivers and application, rather than their update
* The issue with the built-in microphone has been resolved, as it was probably picking vibration from the hard drive before (installed underneath), and working fine now.
* I have kept the 500GB hard drive in an USB 3.0 enclosure (achieving around 70MB/s), without deleting the Windows 7 Samsung recovery partition, if the computer has to be sent back for repairs under warranty in its original condition.
on 9 January 2014
Received this order within 48 hours of making the purchase - Item arrived in original box and with all peripherals, charge and start up disk. Despite being advertised as "used" it looked brand new, no scratches or issues. Very happy with the purchase and happily endorse the seller 200sxsteve as reliable and trustworthy
on 2 September 2015
It served me well but I would not buy a Samsung laptop again.