4,676 Reviews
 (1,784)
 (1,278)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Read - Apart From The Ending
Amy and Nick are married for five years, but there is not much harmony left. All of a sudden, Amy is missing. And from there, a more and more surprising and devious plot develops, cleverly and elegantly put together by a very talented writer.

It is difficult to talk about the plot without risking spoilers. So let's say this: It is not a conventional thriller...
Published 13 months ago by K Richards

2.0 out of 5 stars Gone without redeeming features
I picked this up after reading the range of people who had reviewed it and who described it as a new genre, state of the art American thriller. Two whiney, unlikeable protagonists who lie their way through their lives and think each is hard done by. Suffice to say, without giving up the plot-the outcome is like being slowly dipped in rancid fat. Someone said they liked it...
Published 5 days ago by "Belgo Geordie"

‹ Previous | 1369 370 371468 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Generally good but poor ending, 4 Feb 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
The book flowed well and generally I liked it as it went and steadily revealed the plot.
I wasn't very happy with the ending as I didn't want Amy, the murdering and scheming wife to win so completely.
Most of us don't like the bad one to win. For me, that ruined an otherwise good book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic! What a great read., 3 Feb 2013
V. White (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
Thoroughly enjoyed Gone Girl and am gutted that it's over. A real refreshing change from other books I've read lately. It has 'make me into a movie' written all over it but I really hopthey don't. It's just perfect as is.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Un-put-downable Thriller!, 28 Jan 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)
Drop whatever it is you are doing and go out and get 'Gone Girl'. If you've already got a reading list for 2013 create space on it for this book. If you have to, bump off one of the books for it (It won't matter which one because I can guarantee you that the one that bites the dust will never measure up to this one). My point: get it on that list.

So why am I so excited about Gillian Flynn's novel? Because it is a story that will genuinely consume you. It traps you like a fly caught in a spider's web, you struggle to leave, to break free and yet the more the struggle the more futile the escape as the author has cast webs such that Spiderman could only dream of. And you will want to leave (somewhere halfway into the book and just before the end of part one to be exact), but you shouldn't and most of you won't be able to and actually I plead with you to hang on, for lurking just there after the page that has part two written on it is a bombshell revelation about to explode; the aftermath of which carries chaos of incredible proportions. And the ending? I dare you to see it coming. I wasn't even close.

This is the story of Amy and Nick who have both lost their jobs in New York and move to Mississippi to Nick's family home. Nick's dad, a proper woman-hater, suffers from Alzheimer's and has been placed in a home ironically run by women who he has to depend on for his daily needs. Nick's mum is suffering from cancer and is the main reason Nick moves back so as to help his sister Go take care of her. Amy is the rich daughter of once-upon-a-time famous authors of the children's book series Amazing Amy. She is beautiful, popular, with the perfect marriage to a husband who adores her. Or so it seems until on the day of her fifth wedding anniversary she suddenly disappears. The police suspect Nick, an accusation he denies. However, Amy's recovered diary tells its own story.

'Gone Girl' is a thriller. A haunting thriller. Not in the sense of ghosts and spirits haunting but as in 'it will haunt you for days and days and days' to come. I personally don't think I'll be forgetting this one any time soon. 'War of the Roses', if you've read it, is a walk in the park compared to Nick and Amy's marriage. This is not only an addictive read but a toxic one. It will test your views on many of today's modern social issues and how we have come to view ourselves and others in this fast paced dominant world of reality television and the fame that tags along with it. How even our basic everyday reactions to modern day issues are dictated by what movies we see, what books we read and of course the internet. Where everything needs to be as if airbrushed to appear perfect although it is far from that and the extremes one is willing to take to maintain that perfection. And yet despite the knowledge that we've become a society slave to the 'same script syndrome' we still hang on to the belief that we always know those closest and dearest to us. Or do we?

What are you still doing reading this? Go. Now. Get it!

5.0 out of 5 stars "...we call these men the dancing monkeys...", 27 Jan 2013
Eileen Shaw "Kokoschka's_cat" (Leeds, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)
This book tells two stories, one from the point of view of Nick and one from the point of view of Amy. They begin with the story of their meeting and how they fell in love. For a good few pages you are only aware of small differences, often minor things that each of them feel about the other. Then the differences get bigger. When Amy disappears Nick is at first frantic. It's their fifth anniversary and Amy always marked their big moments with a treasure hunt he has to complete and which sends him to various locations that make up the clues. This time, however, it's different; all the places he is sent to are locations that he spent time in with another girl, Andie, who he was seeing secretly. It slowly begins to look as if Amy has also left her own trail, all of it suggesting that Nick has murdered her. The police think he did, Amy's parents think he did, the media see-saw for and against, and soon the noose begins to tighten.

All I can tell you is that this book is impossible to put down once you begin on the trail. And when you know the deadly game that is being played, pull the curtains, get yourself settled, you won't want to move til you know what's going to happen. One of the best thrillers I've ever read, but all I can say about the ending is ... oh nooooooooo!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected turns, unexpected ending, unexpectedly enjoyable., 24 Jan 2013
S. Hunter (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)
I try to always read books without knowing much if anything about them. I saw this recommended on an authors' list of recommended reading from books released in 2012 and it didn't disappoint. I'm terrible at guessing how plots will unfold, and never guess endings, but even though I think this was unpredictable. It swayed from one extreme to another, leaving you unsure right to the end about how exactly it would finish.

4.0 out of 5 stars hmm., 22 Jan 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)
A compelling, interesting read that had the reader guessing and speculating until the very end. A highly recommended book, however, I found the ending to be a bit stale. I'll admit that I don't know how I wanted the book to end, but I found the ending to be a bit of a let-down, one of those 'seriously?' moments where you put a book down and frown for a while because it didn't seem to make much sense. I won't reveal anything more about the plot, because up until then the book really is fantastically written. The characters are believable (to a degree, the husband more-so... the wife borders on unbelievable quite a lot toward the end) and you really do feel something for them in this setting. My third reason for only four stars rather than five is that the forensics side of the narrative is a bit lackluster and (as a qualified criminologist) doesn't express the true nature of a forensic investigation. Otherwise a very good book, worth the read but to be taken with a pinch of salt when it comes to crime investigation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy and share! A brilliant book!, 21 Jan 2013
Ms. Cs Gallop - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)
I literally couldn't put this book down, the characters and the writing were engaging from the start; every so often I had to stop and put the book down so I could reorganize the story in my mind! The story took such dramatic turns so simply and the chapters were just the right length to keep you engaged as well as leave you wanting to read the next one! The cover is right, you will need people to read it just so you can discuss it with someone; I'm currently waiting for my mum to read it. A must read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Compulsive reading ...., 18 Jan 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)
Outstandingly compusive reading !! I couldn't put this book down ... from the first page you are gripped with 'what on earth has gone on here' ?? ... as usual i won't just simply repeat the back cover blurb as those people are professionals that are paid to do it & do it well ... also, you can't really say too much without giving the game away. This story not only cranks up the tension chapter by chapter but page by page .. there's twists & turns all over the place .. the set up is good and the story moves along swiftly .. the characters are compelling and there are some really creepy bits ( who's outside ?) and some flashes of humour along the way mainly supplied by Go. The ending is brilliant especially the final few sentences .... so, who really won in the end or did everybody lose & do you really end up with what you deserve ??? Excellent book .... one of the best ive read all year.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent novel, 17 Jan 2013
David Jackson (Bedford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
This is the third Gillian Flynn that I have read and I would recommend all of them. It is perhaps less quirky in some ways than the others, but it is certainly full of surprises and fascinating shifts. It is also probably her best. If you don't know her work, start here. It's intriguing, compelling and satisfying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 17 Jan 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
Wow! Unputdownable. Loved this. Gripping from start to finish.
So many twists and turns, very believable...highly recommended but very scary!

‹ Previous | 1369 370 371468 | Next ›