7,123 Reviews
 (2,961)
 (1,895)
 (1,075)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Read - Apart From The Ending
Amy and Nick are married for five years, but there is not much harmony left. All of a sudden, Amy is missing. And from there, a more and more surprising and devious plot develops, cleverly and elegantly put together by a very talented writer.

Published 17 months ago by K Richards

1.0 out of 5 stars Even Hollywood hated the ending..........
....that's why the author was apparently told to completely re-write it before it was made into a film. (I haven't seen it and probably won't because reading the book has put me off.)

As others have said, the ending to the book is so completely unbelievable and disappointing, it honestly left me feeling angry.

MAJOR PLOT SPOILER ALERT.

If...
Published 2 months ago by Dave Walkden

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Read - Apart From The Ending, 25 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)

It is difficult to talk about the plot without risking spoilers. So let's say this: It is not a conventional thriller. There are twists and totally surprising developments, we are getting manipulated and are lied to by both protagonists. It's not only a thriller, the book is also about unconventional truths about love and marriage. Sadly, the ending is a disappointment. Best not to expect too much from it and just enjoy the reading of the novel as such.

The book is always straightforward and readable, but maybe there are a few digressions too many. I can't help but feeling that nowadays thriller writers feel the need to expand their books to 600 pages when 400 would have done just as well. That's stupid, because it automatically weakens the suspense.

Gillian Flynn really deconstructed love and marriage here a lot, so I have a suggestion for readers who would like to read a (shorter) crime novel which is thrilling, full of dark humor and lets you believe in love again: Heads Off (A Lisa Becker Mystery)

1.0 out of 5 stars Even Hollywood hated the ending.........., 13 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)

MAJOR PLOT SPOILER ALERT.

If my wife had proven that she was borderline psychotic and evil enough to spend almost a year framing me for "murdering" her and then disappearing into the wind before pitching back up, openly admitting what she'd done with a smile on her face and suggesting that we give it another go because we "understand" each other better now, she wouldn't have got back in through the front door.

Forget the pregnancy thing - that happens several weeks after her reappearance and is just a very lame, tired plot device. The damage was done when he accepted her back into his life, for me. It just didn't ring true. On any level......

I honestly can't understand how anyone could rave about this book - it's tripe.

The main characters are both deeply unpleasant individuals and I struggled to find any redeeming qualities in either of them.

The first half of the story is over-long and drawn out and I can only assume that this is done so that when the (alleged) twist comes and we start to see the "real" Amy, we are shocked at just how different she is to the (already frankly unbelievable) one we have had rammed down our throats to set up the deception.

I suppose I was as guilty of falling for the hype as anybody else and kept waiting for some clever twist to appear that made all the glowing praise on the dust jacket make sense.

But it never came.

If this book was written as some sort of critique of modern relationships, then I fear for the author - her world must be a soulless, frightening place, filled with mistrust and lies.

Very disappointing and completely infuriating book and I can't believe that so many people are still falling for the spin.

Avoid.

4.0 out of 5 stars A book of two halves that lingers in the mind, 25 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
I'm not really into crime novels/mysteries, which this book generally seems to be billed as, so despite having heard a lot of hype, I wouldn't have bothered reading it were it not for one thing - a list of quotations from the book I found on Goodreads.

There were a couple of quotes , for example one about the dangers of being a cool girl and one about meeting someone who gets you, that really resonated with me and left me unable to resist giving the book a go. Added to this, several reviews mentioned that there was a big twist that they genuinely hadn't seen coming, and I can never resist a good, well-handled twist.

The first thing I'd say is that I'm glad I took a chance on the book. It was difficult to put down; I was constantly wondering what was going to happen next, and I think parts of it will stick in my mind for a long time. So in short, I'd definitely recommend.

It's hopefully not too spoiler-ish to say that the first half of the book is basically mediations on a relationship combined with a mystery: a woman has disappeared - where has she gone? The second half then becomes much more like a psychological crime thriller.

In the first half, there are two voices. Chapters alternate between Nick's (the husband) narration, starting with the day of his wife's disappearance, and Amy's (the wife) diary entries, dating back from the day the two first met years before, and gradually working up to a few days before her mysterious disappearance.

Browsing through some of the reviews on here, I was struck by how many people have commented that they found the first half hard going and a bit irritating, but loved the second half.

Interestingly, I almost entirely disagree. Perhaps it's because I'm in a similar socio-economic group to the protagonists and have recently got engaged, but I found the story of the wonderful blossoming of their relationship and its horrible slow decline utterly fascinating. Yes, there was undoubtedly a touch of "first world problems," about it, but falling in and out of love is a fundamental human issue and no more or less exciting and painful just because you happen to be a trust-funded New Yorker. I thought the writing in this part was exceptional. The quotations I'd identified weren't isolated bursts of brilliance, but representative of the whole thing. It genuinely gave me a new perspective on my relationship.

I'm a big fan of unconventional narratives and I thought that the past diary entries versus present narration worked really well. The two storylines didn't quite mesh, showing what a different perspective two people can have on the same event and keeping me guessing about what was really going on in the main characters' relationship and what had happened on the day of Amy's disappearance.

This went on for chapter after chapter (Whilst I burnt through the book, I definitely think it could have been quite a bit shorter without really losing anything), and then came the much vaunted twist. All I can say was that I wasn't disappointed. I hadn't seen it coming and it was incredibly well done. Unfortunately, although I thought that post mid-way twist, the book went rapidly downhill and became, in parts, frankly silly. I actually hated the ended.

Nonetheless, I'd give this book four stars, for the overall brilliant execution and for the fact that to me, parts of the first half were some of the best things I've read in years. My suggestion - search for some of the quotes. If you enjoy them, I think you'll love the book. If they irritate or don't affect you at all, it's probably not for you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not deserving of the hype, 24 Feb. 2013
K. Brooks - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)
I found Gone Girl an OK read on the plus side I liked the overall premise of a story being told from two perspectives and I didn't work out the whole plot immediately so it held some intrigue. But I found the style of writing to be a bit too glossy magazine for my taste and the characters rather 2 dimensional. Not only did I find them unbelievable but I found myself not really caring what happened to them the further I read on. I won't say I totally disliked the book but also found it undeserving of the rave reviews, in the end my overall feeling was of indifference.

1.0 out of 5 stars Gone hours of my life, 29 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
This is my first review on Amazon but I felt I needed to warn you about this book. I can't believe the rave reviews, I always persevere but I really struggled to make my way through this trash. The 'twists and turns' are either entirely predictable or unremarkable. The characters are not likeable or particularly interesting. It seems like it's written by a teenager. It shocks and saddens me that this is considered to be worth reading.

2.0 out of 5 stars Definitely not a thriller!, 16 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)
I'm starting to question the great reviews which appear on book covers, so many I've read recently don't live up to the hype. This book is heralded as the thriller of the year, it is anything but! I can't understand why anyone would describe it as such. I concede that the first half is intriguing and makes you want to turn the pages. It then suddenly changes and becomes pedestrian and repetitive and essentially pretty dull and boring. I could hardly be bothered to finish it but forced myself to read to the end. I couldn't recommend this book because it was so disappointing and I won't be reading anything else by this author.

2.0 out of 5 stars Started grippingly but I lost patience with the characters very ..., 30 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
Started grippingly but I lost patience with the characters very quickly and didn't care what happened to either of them by the end, I just wanted it to finish.

2.0 out of 5 stars My interest is going, going gone, 3 Oct. 2014
Jakeisthecoolest "Jake" - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
There is nothing more that I can add to this that has not already been said in other reviews, but I will say it again, just in case you missed it. The book starts strongly and certainly hooked me in. And then....I don’t know whether the author lost his impetus, or there were too many conflicting ideas to see straight, but when it came to the end what had been such an intricate, detailed and page turning ride fell flat. I didn’t care who won or who lost, but it needed a winner or loser. It’s like a race where every child gets a sticker, despite one finishing twenty paces in front of the others. Yes the concept of the book is a nice idea, but ultimately, you're going to leave people frustrated. Which is exactly how this book left me.

1.0 out of 5 stars So bad it still makes me angry, 9 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
I wasted a day of my life on this nonsense, based on the great reviews, and it has wound me up so badly I have to write this review (the first one ever).

First the positives: the plot idea is at least different...and I like the texture of the cover (I'm clutching at straws here).

Now the negatives: very badly written, does not engage the reader one little bit, dull as ditchwater and very repetitive. To call this a thriller is a wonderful piece of irony.

It reads like it's written by a teenager who has been told to use a thesaurus to broaden their vocabulary. The style is grating in the extreme. Neither character engages the reader and nor does the plot. I found myself struggling at page 15 and starting to skim read. I persevered. I shouldn't have bothered.

I strongly recommend you browse the book in a bookstore. If the writing style doesn't wind you up within two pages then perhaps it's for you. It certainly wasn't for me.

Grrr

4.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed the twists to this story but felt like it ..., 1 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed the twists to this story but felt like it went on for a bit. Cheated half way through and checked it on Wiki to see how it ended but I still read it to the end.Not good to read at night as I found I couldn't put it down. Was surprised to read on Wiki that it was supposed to be a thriller. I would never have started reading it as I hate thrillers/horrors. Bit of gore in places but nothing suspenseful about it, I just couldnt wait to find out what happened!

Gone Girl