4,466 Reviews
 (1,681)
 (1,242)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Read - Apart From The Ending
Amy and Nick are married for five years, but there is not much harmony left. All of a sudden, Amy is missing. And from there, a more and more surprising and devious plot develops, cleverly and elegantly put together by a very talented writer.

Published 12 months ago by K Richards

3.0 out of 5 stars Not deserving of the hype
Published 18 months ago by K. Brooks

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Read - Apart From The Ending, 25 Aug 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)

It is difficult to talk about the plot without risking spoilers. So let's say this: It is not a conventional thriller. There are twists and totally surprising developments, we are getting manipulated and are lied to by both protagonists. It's not only a thriller, the book is also about unconventional truths about love and marriage. Sadly, the ending is a disappointment. Best not to expect too much from it and just enjoy the reading of the novel as such.

The book is always straightforward and readable, but maybe there are a few digressions too many. I can't help but feeling that nowadays thriller writers feel the need to expand their books to 600 pages when 400 would have done just as well. That's stupid, because it automatically weakens the suspense.

Gillian Flynn really deconstructed love and marriage here a lot, so I have a suggestion for readers who would like to read a (shorter) crime novel which is thrilling, full of dark humor and lets you believe in love again: Heads Off (A Lisa Becker Mystery)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great start, lousy finish..., 2 Aug 2014
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)
Am something of a thriller junkie, always on the look out for the next 'thriller of the year' or the undiscovered gem. Had not read any Gilllian Flynn and I have to say, I thought the writing style was absolutely fabulous, creating a really strong plot line and strong characters, all written in a genuine, New York style. I read the first half of the book at a canter and was telling everybody it was a real page turner and one of the best thrillers I had read in ages. Then it all went down hill. Am not quite sure what happened after that. The quality of the writing held up but the storytelling went out the window. The plot twists became ever more incredulous and the final, closing twist was just absurd. As others have said, it's as if Flynn didn't actually know how to finish the book.
So a real shame. It's a great story (and structure) which sets off at a cracking pace and the quality of the writing is top notch throughout. We are all prepared to suspend belief to some extent but the second half of the book just deteriorates into farce. Probably the biggest anti-climax in a thriller I can remember in a long time. Exactly the opposite of, say, Joanne Harris' 'Gentleman and Players' where the final twist actually takes your breath away, or Adam Loxley's 'The Teleios Ring' a British thriller which is a real undiscovered gem.

4.0 out of 5 stars A book of two halves that lingers in the mind, 25 Nov 2012
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
I'm not really into crime novels/mysteries, which this book generally seems to be billed as, so despite having heard a lot of hype, I wouldn't have bothered reading it were it not for one thing - a list of quotations from the book I found on Goodreads.

There were a couple of quotes , for example one about the dangers of being a cool girl and one about meeting someone who gets you, that really resonated with me and left me unable to resist giving the book a go. Added to this, several reviews mentioned that there was a big twist that they genuinely hadn't seen coming, and I can never resist a good, well-handled twist.

The first thing I'd say is that I'm glad I took a chance on the book. It was difficult to put down; I was constantly wondering what was going to happen next, and I think parts of it will stick in my mind for a long time. So in short, I'd definitely recommend.

It's hopefully not too spoiler-ish to say that the first half of the book is basically mediations on a relationship combined with a mystery: a woman has disappeared - where has she gone? The second half then becomes much more like a psychological crime thriller.

In the first half, there are two voices. Chapters alternate between Nick's (the husband) narration, starting with the day of his wife's disappearance, and Amy's (the wife) diary entries, dating back from the day the two first met years before, and gradually working up to a few days before her mysterious disappearance.

Browsing through some of the reviews on here, I was struck by how many people have commented that they found the first half hard going and a bit irritating, but loved the second half.

Interestingly, I almost entirely disagree. Perhaps it's because I'm in a similar socio-economic group to the protagonists and have recently got engaged, but I found the story of the wonderful blossoming of their relationship and its horrible slow decline utterly fascinating. Yes, there was undoubtedly a touch of "first world problems," about it, but falling in and out of love is a fundamental human issue and no more or less exciting and painful just because you happen to be a trust-funded New Yorker. I thought the writing in this part was exceptional. The quotations I'd identified weren't isolated bursts of brilliance, but representative of the whole thing. It genuinely gave me a new perspective on my relationship.

I'm a big fan of unconventional narratives and I thought that the past diary entries versus present narration worked really well. The two storylines didn't quite mesh, showing what a different perspective two people can have on the same event and keeping me guessing about what was really going on in the main characters' relationship and what had happened on the day of Amy's disappearance.

This went on for chapter after chapter (Whilst I burnt through the book, I definitely think it could have been quite a bit shorter without really losing anything), and then came the much vaunted twist. All I can say was that I wasn't disappointed. I hadn't seen it coming and it was incredibly well done. Unfortunately, although I thought that post mid-way twist, the book went rapidly downhill and became, in parts, frankly silly. I actually hated the ended.

Nonetheless, I'd give this book four stars, for the overall brilliant execution and for the fact that to me, parts of the first half were some of the best things I've read in years. My suggestion - search for some of the quotes. If you enjoy them, I think you'll love the book. If they irritate or don't affect you at all, it's probably not for you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not deserving of the hype, 24 Feb 2013
K. Brooks - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)
I found Gone Girl an OK read on the plus side I liked the overall premise of a story being told from two perspectives and I didn't work out the whole plot immediately so it held some intrigue. But I found the style of writing to be a bit too glossy magazine for my taste and the characters rather 2 dimensional. Not only did I find them unbelievable but I found myself not really caring what happened to them the further I read on. I won't say I totally disliked the book but also found it undeserving of the rave reviews, in the end my overall feeling was of indifference.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 3 April 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)
I loved this book it kept me guessing and on edge all the way through and I couldn't wait for the outcome. But, unfortunately it is one of those books that leave you guessing. Sorry to spoil it for anyone but I was so disappointed by the ending I wanted to strangle the author :-(

4.0 out of 5 stars Get ready for the ride, 1 Aug 2014
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)
Get ready for the ride of your life! It's was really good, so many twists and turns I was literally blown away. The only reason this is shy of 5 stars is that there is not single character that I truly liked in the book and the ending wasn't as great as was set up to be. Just kind of blah, no real lesson learned. The themes that Gillian explored were fantastic and very relatable!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 17 Feb 2014
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)
I chose this book because it was a bestseller and also a low price so I thought I'd give it a go.

Despite being described as a thriller I slogged my way to nearly half way through the book before I was even slightly hooked - I would have given up before then but I had bought it so was determined to see it through and I hoped it would get better. To be fair, it did. The second half of the book was much more gripping and I started to care what was still to come. Unfortunately my efforts were rewarded with a deeply unsatisfying ending that wiped out any of the enjoyment I'd managed to squeeze out of it.

So to sum up, it was overly long with a disappointing pay off - oh and did I mention how cliched and unsympathetic the two main characters were?

Still, we don't all have the same tastes and a lot of people clearly loved it so maybe you will too ;)

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 18 April 2014
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
This has had such high acclaim that I expected something more plausible. It was recommended along with 'You should have Known' which is in a different class altogether. This book starts off well, and as everyone knows, the narrator alternates between husband and wife. What I didn't realise straight away, despite dates heading the chapters, was that they were in 2 different time scales as well. This device suggests a skill which is not borne out by the increasingly unlikely storyline. The story begins with the sudden disappearance of the wife, apparently in violent circumstances. It doesn't take you long, armed with details of the couple's past to realise some of the truth of the matter. I almost finished it, so it must have held my attention, but I skimmed a lot. It became less and less believable until I reached the point where I couldn't care less.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the thriller I expected, 28 Sep 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
This was our book clubs chosen read, I would not have selected this book otherwise. However, I have often been pleasantly surprised and pleased when I have read a new author and following the hype this book had received was hoping for this. What a disappointment. I struggle to think of who I would recommend this book to. I had no sympathy or empathy with the main characters and found the story frustrating and irritating. It did not contain the brooding malice or tension that I expect from a thriller. The malice was between the two main characters and focused on their shallow selfish lives. No real backbone to the story and certainly would not encourage me to read any more of Gillian Flynn's work. Her attention to detail has to be admired but it didn't enhance the story. Certain parts were totally unbelievable and reduced the credibility of the rest of her book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Started reading it - so far so not so good. I have completed approx, 5 Aug 2014
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
Started reading it - so far so not so good. I have completed approx. 25 %. Its not that bad that I don't want to finish it - just want to read it and get done with it. It is written from the prospective of 2 people with different chapters narrated by each one. Neither of them I would like to get stuck in a lift with. 5 minutes of their company would be enough.

Gone Girl