4,079 Reviews
 (1,516)
 (1,147)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Read - Apart From The Ending
Amy and Nick are married for five years, but there is not much harmony left. All of a sudden, Amy is missing. And from there, a more and more surprising and devious plot develops, cleverly and elegantly put together by a very talented writer.

Published 10 months ago by K Richards

3.0 out of 5 stars Not deserving of the hype
Published 16 months ago by K. Brooks

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Read - Apart From The Ending, 25 Aug 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)

It is difficult to talk about the plot without risking spoilers. So let's say this: It is not a conventional thriller. There are twists and totally surprising developments, we are getting manipulated and are lied to by both protagonists. It's not only a thriller, the book is also about unconventional truths about love and marriage. Sadly, the ending is a disappointment. Best not to expect too much from it and just enjoy the reading of the novel as such.

The book is always straightforward and readable, but maybe there are a few digressions too many. I can't help but feeling that nowadays thriller writers feel the need to expand their books to 600 pages when 400 would have done just as well. That's stupid, because it automatically weakens the suspense.

Gillian Flynn really deconstructed love and marriage here a lot, so I have a suggestion for readers who would like to read a (shorter) crime novel which is thrilling, full of dark humor and lets you believe in love again: Heads Off (A Lisa Becker Mystery)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not deserving of the hype, 24 Feb 2013
K. Brooks - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)
I found Gone Girl an OK read on the plus side I liked the overall premise of a story being told from two perspectives and I didn't work out the whole plot immediately so it held some intrigue. But I found the style of writing to be a bit too glossy magazine for my taste and the characters rather 2 dimensional. Not only did I find them unbelievable but I found myself not really caring what happened to them the further I read on. I won't say I totally disliked the book but also found it undeserving of the rave reviews, in the end my overall feeling was of indifference.

4.0 out of 5 stars A book of two halves that lingers in the mind, 25 Nov 2012
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
I'm not really into crime novels/mysteries, which this book generally seems to be billed as, so despite having heard a lot of hype, I wouldn't have bothered reading it were it not for one thing - a list of quotations from the book I found on Goodreads.

There were a couple of quotes , for example one about the dangers of being a cool girl and one about meeting someone who gets you, that really resonated with me and left me unable to resist giving the book a go. Added to this, several reviews mentioned that there was a big twist that they genuinely hadn't seen coming, and I can never resist a good, well-handled twist.

The first thing I'd say is that I'm glad I took a chance on the book. It was difficult to put down; I was constantly wondering what was going to happen next, and I think parts of it will stick in my mind for a long time. So in short, I'd definitely recommend.

It's hopefully not too spoiler-ish to say that the first half of the book is basically mediations on a relationship combined with a mystery: a woman has disappeared - where has she gone? The second half then becomes much more like a psychological crime thriller.

In the first half, there are two voices. Chapters alternate between Nick's (the husband) narration, starting with the day of his wife's disappearance, and Amy's (the wife) diary entries, dating back from the day the two first met years before, and gradually working up to a few days before her mysterious disappearance.

Browsing through some of the reviews on here, I was struck by how many people have commented that they found the first half hard going and a bit irritating, but loved the second half.

Interestingly, I almost entirely disagree. Perhaps it's because I'm in a similar socio-economic group to the protagonists and have recently got engaged, but I found the story of the wonderful blossoming of their relationship and its horrible slow decline utterly fascinating. Yes, there was undoubtedly a touch of "first world problems," about it, but falling in and out of love is a fundamental human issue and no more or less exciting and painful just because you happen to be a trust-funded New Yorker. I thought the writing in this part was exceptional. The quotations I'd identified weren't isolated bursts of brilliance, but representative of the whole thing. It genuinely gave me a new perspective on my relationship.

I'm a big fan of unconventional narratives and I thought that the past diary entries versus present narration worked really well. The two storylines didn't quite mesh, showing what a different perspective two people can have on the same event and keeping me guessing about what was really going on in the main characters' relationship and what had happened on the day of Amy's disappearance.

This went on for chapter after chapter (Whilst I burnt through the book, I definitely think it could have been quite a bit shorter without really losing anything), and then came the much vaunted twist. All I can say was that I wasn't disappointed. I hadn't seen it coming and it was incredibly well done. Unfortunately, although I thought that post mid-way twist, the book went rapidly downhill and became, in parts, frankly silly. I actually hated the ended.

Nonetheless, I'd give this book four stars, for the overall brilliant execution and for the fact that to me, parts of the first half were some of the best things I've read in years. My suggestion - search for some of the quotes. If you enjoy them, I think you'll love the book. If they irritate or don't affect you at all, it's probably not for you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 3 April 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)
I loved this book it kept me guessing and on edge all the way through and I couldn't wait for the outcome. But, unfortunately it is one of those books that leave you guessing. Sorry to spoil it for anyone but I was so disappointed by the ending I wanted to strangle the author :-(

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Brilliant!, 6 July 2014
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
I cannot praise this book enough. It's suspenseful, complex and very well thought out. The characters are well written and the things they say and do fit their personalities entirely.

I did guess the ending - sort of - in the firsr few pages of Part Two but Gillian's ending thankfully wasn't was weak as the one I'd conjured up.

Very exciting to have read she was writing the screenplay and that a movie is imminent.

Just fabulous reading.

I'm now reading Dark Places which is (almost gruesomely) detaied and brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 22 April 2014
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
This is a great book, fantastic story and very clever. I was a tad disappointed with the ending but I would still highly recommend it as a great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing (seems a fitting title...), 17 Mar 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
Recently, I have found it hard to trust the book charts (50'shades anyone...) but on this occasion I took a gamble and having read no reviews or summaries, I gave Gone Girl a chance. I completely, honestly urge everyone to do the same. This book is so well written, and covers so many unique character personalities that I kept having to remind myself that this was a work of fiction. The plot unravels so majestically that I genuinely couldn't put the novel down, and the shocks in the text were exactly like- unexpected, earth-shattering shocks. If great, modern, suspenseful literature is something you crave, then you NEED to read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great novel that I found really hard to put down, 7 July 2014
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
A great novel that I found really hard to put down! The suspense in it was brilliant with many twists and turns.

5.0 out of 5 stars Page Turner, 28 May 2014
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
Fantastic read! I couldn't put the book down, it is very cleverly written and the the characters are brought to life!

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put this down, 23 April 2014
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)
I read this book in a day, I just could wait to read more. The way the story unfolds from the 2 perspectives and gradually reveals the characters and intentions was gripping. 5stars for this novel and I will be ordering Gillian Flynn's other novels trusting they will be just as engrossing

Gone Girl