5.0 out of 5 stars Hard drive replacement
Published 12 months ago by Volkrin

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy!
Published 2 months ago by Jorge Y. Castillo

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard drive replacement, 23 Mar 2013
I have recently bought this 128GB Sandisk Pulse SSD earlier this year, the intended use was to replace the stock SATA II hard drive in an Acer 3810TZ laptop. All of which I have done now and what a difference! from the power on button to desktop screen after all passwords is now done in less than 40 seconds, applications run faster and the lag effect has all gone, battery life is now much improved as well. This is a perfect example of the use of an SSD, you will not regret it!

How did I do it?
I used the OEM version of Windows 7 on the laptop and backed up the software as you would to create your rescue discs, did a clean install on to the SSD and this was done without even burning any DVD discs.

1. Run your laptop and use your browser to search for and install the 30 day free version of Virtual CD, this allows you to mount a virtual DVD burner. Read the instructions, but basically you create a blank virtual DVD and mount it in the virtual burner.
2. Run from your start button the Acer folder> Recovery> Acer recovery program > Create factory default disc. Follow the instructions, but first of all look to see how large the recovery data files are (mine was 8.5GB)
3. Go back to Virtual CD, go and create a new blank ISO DVD disc, but change the size of the disc to a larger capacity (I did 13.4GB ish) Since it's virtual you can custom select a larger disc more than 4.7GB, this way it's all done in one step. Mount the disc into the virtual DVD burner
4. Now go back to the recovery program, select the DVD burner/disc that is now available and run the Create factory default disc process.
5. Now you need to prepare a suitable USB flash drive (I used a 16GB) You need to specifically create a bootable USB drive, follow the instructions on Maximum PC How to create a bootable USB, only format the USB drive to NTFS and not FAT32.
6. Go to your newly created Backup Virtual DVD and mount the disc into the virtual CD drive, from Start > Computer open the disc to view all the folders and files, select all, copy the entire contents to your newly prepared bootable USB drive.
7. Hardware, now your nearly there! Shut down your laptop and follow your Laptop / SSD instructions to replace the hard drive with your new SSD.
8. Now before you boot only have your newly prepared USB connected, go to the Bios (hitting F2) and go to the boot priority and change it to USB HDD as priority 1. Also make sure your set to run the SSD in AHCI mode, not IDE. Save your Bios settings and allow the re boot to commence
9. Follow all the instructions and it should re install the OEM version of Win 7.
10. Once completed don't forget to change your Bios boot priority back to the SSD as priority 1 and not the USB

I followed various tutorials on YouTube as well, but don't go for all this in one go, do it in stages it take hours! But as I can testify you can reinstall your backup OEM software without using DVD's or having to buy an optical drive just for the job. Other tips as well for an SSD are to disable SuperFetch, indexing and defragmentation; these all give the SSD a hard time and reduce life expectancy. If your SSD has software tools, these may be dealt with for you, if not just search your web browser for simple instructions.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing!, 12 Jun 2013
This review is from: SanDisk SDSSDP-064G-G25 64GB Pulse SATA 6Gb/s Internal 2.5 Inch SSD (Personal Computers)
if u haven't got one of these yet i wouldn't hesitate! using this drive as a boot disc is the best bit of kit i have bought for any of my pc's. I highly recommend these hard drives!

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant upgrade for ageing laptop!, 9 Sep 2012
OK, this is not for those looking for the very best. It looks really cheap and plastic compared to the sleek Samsung 830 I bought at the same time and probably doesn't perform in the same benchmark league either. Nor are there any accessories of any type in the box. Frankly, I don't care about the numbers, all I am worried about is the real world results.

I bought it to try and revive a 6-7 year old Toshiba Satellite Pro L20 with a Centrino single core 1.73Ghz processor running XP Home and a SATA 1 40Gb hard drive. The laptop hardly got used because it just took too long to boot - easily 10-15 minutes, and was extremely sluggish after that.

I've been toying with the idea of trying an SSD and when the Sandisk 64gb appeared in the Amazon flash sale, I thought I would give it a go. On connecting to the computer with the USB to SATA cable supplied with the Samsung, I was concerned to see no recognition of the SSD. I then tried my Windows 7 desktop and realised it needed to be initialised before formatting so I let Windows 7 do the honours. (From numerous comments on the web, I understand Windows 7 does a better job of formatting an SSD than XP so this is the preferred option).

Back to the laptop and I downloaded the free version of Macrium Reflect to clone the hard drive. After 3 attempts, this did not work so I then tried the EaseUS Disk Copy Freeware. On installation, this prompted the creation of a boot CD which then needs the computer to be restarted and enter the boot menu at POST (press F12 immediately after starting the computer) and select boot from CD/DVD drive. EaseUS fired up and cloned the disk without a problem and the resulting cloned SSD worked perfectly. Note that the transfer rate over USB2 was around 1.2GB per minute - do the maths and you will see that this is a long process and is a real nuisance if it has to be repeated.

I wasn't expecting much, but frankly I am amazed. From pressing the start button to Internet Explorer open and responsive now takes exactly 60 seconds. Everything seems to happen quicker. I am sure we will be using the laptop a lot more for quick online research from now on. I can't say how reliable this will prove to be, especially in the XP environment as I have only had it installed for a couple of weeks - time will tell.

As an aside, I then put the Samsung 830 into my son's Dell with Intel C2D and running Vista expecting similar results, but was slightly underwhelmed. It is a little quicker to react, but the improvement is nowhere near as dramatic. I needed the Free EaseUS Partition Manager to reduce the size of the partition to be cloned in this case and also found EaseUS Disk Copy Freeware did not work, but Macrium Reflect did! Reducing the partition was a long process, in my case nearly 2 hours. The system reported over 52,000 files to be moved and when it took 5 minutes to move the first 10, I started to worry, however it did get quicker as it went along.

5.0 out of 5 stars 7 seconds isn't fast enough??, 6 April 2013
D. Makin - See all my reviews
I've just installed this as an internal SSD for my computer (primarily used for gaming) and i felt the need to write in response to those who have reported a 'lack of speed'. From power on to 'good to go' it takes about 7 seconds for a full windows 7 bootup, how much quicker do you want it?

5.0 out of 5 stars An SSD for the masses, 11 Aug 2013
Sandisk are no amateurs when it comes to memory. They have consistently innovated and provided reliable, affordable and fast storage to the masses, and this SSD is no exception. This isn't the first SSD sandisk have created, so they are no strangers to the industry. When it comes to SSD storage, you want the fastest read speeds possible, because thats means your computer is going to be able to load applications and data quicker. This SSD achieves a read speed of about 430 - 470MB per second. These speeds are at the top end of the performance chart, meaning your boot times, application loadings and general system responsiveness is going to feel super fast and snappy. However, where the cost is significantly reduced is in the write speed. This SSD is able to achieve write speeds of up to 200mb, which isn't blazing fast but by all means not slow. For pretty much most users, a slower write speed and a super fast read speed is going to be the same, as they will never utilise a higher write speed, because you will be reading data more often than writing, and when you are writing data, 200mb is a large amount, and isn't going to bottleneck you. When you consider the price to other SSD's with the same storage capacity, you cant go wrong. This SSD is considerably cheaper because you are paying for what you do not and not paying for what you don't need. Its perfect for anyone, whether it be someone who just wants to browse the internet or a power gamer looking for fast loading times and no texture lag, this SSD is going to serve you well.

If you are looking for an SSD to give a new lease of life into your system at an affordable cost, then this is the one to go for.

5.0 out of 5 stars does the job, 25 July 2013
much more realiable than a model from another manufacturer it replaced. Fast load times - fast read write times - very good value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the Price, 10 April 2013
I needed a quiet drive for a desktop HTPC. The HDD that Id put into it was just too annoying to continue with. So silence rather than performance was my primary consideration and of course with no moving parts this is silent. Clearly its not the last word in SSD performance but it does fly well enough. At the price it is a bargain. Remember the following:
1. Enable AHCI in BIOS before installing windows
2. Disable Prefetch/superfetch
3. Disable scheduled defragging
4. Turn off indexing

In Win7 onwards TRIM should be automatically enabled without doing anything. The are plenty of guides to SSD optimisation on the net but the above is easy and probably enough unless you are searching for that extra 2% of performance.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy!, 3 Feb 2014
I got this to speed up my macbook pro, is the worst SSD ever, it only worked for a week as intended, 6gb/s after that stared giving me the beach ball, since it was running at ~9-18mb/s, I contacted SanDisk and they gave me a new one after I ship it to Czech Republic, and again! wow i got a "new" SSD, I said "new" since it is reading and writing at 50mb/s my normal HDD is faster than that!

SO DO NOT BUY THIS ROBISH, get you money worth in something better!

3.0 out of 5 stars not a fast ssd but good value for what it is, 4 Oct 2012
I bought one of these to upgrade my old pc before giving it to my brother.

It definitely speeds up boot times from the old 7200rpm WD Black caviar HDD, though not hugely, and it is of course completely quiet in operation. Also it is good value for a SSD of this size. Less than fifty pence per GB!

However, when it comes to actual operation such as running anti virus scans I was surprised to see it was about the same speed as my old HDD. This is because the Random read/write performance is not very good (for an SSD).

You will see in the info on the product that amazon provides, random read/write speeds of 8k/2k. Compare this to a fast SSD of 83k/39k - 10 times faster!! (these speeds taken from the sandisk Extreme SSD). For many operations random read/write speeds are much more important than the sequential speeds.

So, in summary. good value if you want a silent hardrive that is somewhat faster than a traditional HDD.

But - if you want to really notice a huge difference get a fast SSD, the extra twenty quid is money well spent.

Which is why I have ordered a Samsung 830 to replace this one, I'm not giving my brother a PC that I'm disappointed with.

5.0 out of 5 stars 128GB SSD - Good value upgrade, 17 Nov 2012
Vinay (Eastleigh, Hants) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
The SanDisk drive I received was labelled SDSSDP-128G. It is just marked with "Solid State Drive" - there are other SanDisk SSDs of a similar capacity called "Ultra" and "Extreme", but this one is the cheapest of the three. Some sellers call it the "Pulse". Interestingly, on the SanDisk website, the specs suggest this is faster than the "Ultra" model - and it does support SATA3 (6Gbps).

The drive outer is all plastic and according to my kitchen scales the drive weighs just 25g, compared to over 100g for the HDD which it replaced. Once it is mounted inside the laptop, not having a metal frame should not really matter. The drive height is 7mm which is really slim and it should fit almost every laptop which has a SATA interface.

Power consumption is lower than a standard HDD and my laptop is able to last about 25 minutes longer. Boot times (Windows 7) were about 20 seconds on my IBM Thinpkad X60 compared to about 2 minutes previously. And applications such as Word and Excel start in just a couple of seconds. Although you could load Windows XP onto this drive, you would need to make various tweaks and registry updates to optimise for SSDs. With Windows 7, SSD support is built in, so it is the best option by far. I did a clean install of the OS rather than cloning, just to make sure Win7 was correctly setup for the SSD.

Other reviews have mentioned that the specs for this drive are not the best and that is true, but it's still leaps and bounds better than my first OCZ SSD from 3 years ago. Sure you could pay another 30-50 for a faster SSD but the weight/power consumption will probably also be higher. For most users, the faster performance, lower weight and longer battery life that this drive provides (at relatively modest cost) is a no-brainer!

ARRAY(0xa54b0a8c)