5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read!
This book was recommended by Woman magazine and did not disappoint - it was a good story with a happy ending!!
Published 17 months ago by buddy51

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointed
I bought this book after reading previous reviews. I found the characters and dialogue unbelievable. I didn't engage with the story which I found silly.
Published 2 months ago by n thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read!, 2 Feb 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED IT !!!!!!, 29 Oct 2012
This review is from: Taking Charge (Paperback)
Mandy I was pleased to met you in person and from that meeting I bought your book, Taking Charge.
As I had not read any of your books before I was so please that this was a great read.
I loved the banter between Eddie and Max, they made me laugh. Cole is a man every women needs in their lives
he was so supportive and the two of them just melted together.
I loved the way you brought all the family, friends and town folk altogether, so heart warming.
Your other books are on order and I look forward to reading them and your new book. The more you write the
more we get to enjoy them. Thanks Mandy

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, had me hooked from the start, 16 Oct 2012
This review is from: Taking Charge (Kindle Edition)
I was given this by the publisher for an honest review

Ebook: Taking Charge

Author: Mandy Baggot

Fiction, romance

This review may contain spoilers

Summary: Is going back Robyn s only way forward? American-born Robyn Matthers is going home. With her dad in hospital, his roadhouse in ruins and the ice hockey team slipping down the league, she needs to take charge. But does she have the strength to do it? Cole Ryan is a hockey player on a personal mission. He s tall, dark, hot and Robyn s noticed But can she trust her feelings - or his? And what will Cole do when he finds out the truth about her? Robyn returns to Michigan and things aren't quite the same. Her best friend has grown up and is thinking about marriage and babies, the ice hockey team is no longer the life blood of the community and her father is engaged When Robyn's twin cousins drag up past events that hold painful memories for her, she and Cole are forced together. But are either of them ready to start something new? With an ill father, a trailer trash almost step-mom and ex-boyfriend Brad desperate for another chance, does Robyn have time to contemplate a relationship? Does she really want one? And is it physically possible for two people to fall in love in just three days?

The Review
Firstly, I would like to say I love that there is a playlist to go with this book, a lot of authors mention listening to music while writing, but half the time you never know which music to read the book too, so this is great.
OMG, the twist at the end of this one was so not expected, I had inclinations that it may have been the father at one point, when you read it you will understand what I mean, I loved how the characters were portrayed in this book, Robyn had so much on her plate and to think she took it all on, was a big plus in my mind, I liked that Cole stood by her even after hearing about what had happened to her, I am so glad she met Cole, they may have met after 3 days but I think they were made for each other, both had trauma's in their lives which brought them closer together, Will be recommending this to all my friends, 4.5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Feisty lead character . The story is told in such a way that you immediately feel like you are dropped off here, 26 July 2013
This review is from: Taking Charge (Kindle Edition)
This is a girl with a mission - well several really . The characters are diverse , fun and all have backgrounds . Magic mix with an unusual theme , a party you wish you had been invited . Well worth a read

5.0 out of 5 stars a fab read x, 2 July 2013
This review is from: Taking Charge (Kindle Edition)
Had me hooked from first page to last page.
A chance meeting that changed lots of people's life's......x
Believable characters xx

5.0 out of 5 stars Taking charge, 30 May 2013
Miss Coulson (North east) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Taking Charge (Kindle Edition)
I chose this rating because again I really enjoyed this book, I liked the flow of the book and how it made me laugh at some parts and addressed issues that affect people in real life, I would recommend this book to anyone who liked romance.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book!, 17 Sep 2012
This review is from: Taking Charge (Kindle Edition)
I was lucky enough to win a copy of Taking Charge in a prize draw given by the publishers and I'm so glad I did!

This isn't the first book written by Mandy Baggot that I've read and judging by this latest book she's getting better and better with every new release. Taking Charge had me gripped throughout the summer and I thoroughly enjoyed the heroine, Robyn's story - she's such a delightful tomboy - feisty and no-nonsense on the surface, but with deep emotional scars that are gradually revealed. Cole Ryan is a hero to die for and Robyn's trailer trash almost step-mom had me in stitches.

A fabulous read - I look forward to Mandy Baggot's next book very much indeed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ready, Steady, Go! It's fast!, 2 Jun 2012
This review is from: Taking Charge (Kindle Edition)
Taking Charge storms along from the word go - the characters are up and at you from page one and stay there right until the final word.

There are some really fun and eccentric characters that make you smile and the author has captured the lively banter and spirit of an all male team, in this case an ice hockey team. My favourite team mate was Mickey - he made me laugh a lot.

The key characters, Robyn and Cole have a sparkly relationship although both have issues from the past that they haven't yet resolved. The exact nature of these problems are gradually revealed as the story progresses and you can't but help try to guess and re-guess what these demons are. The book touches on some more serious issues and there are a couple of emotional scenes but these are handled in an easy to read way, with a light touch that is in keeping with the genre.

It's a dynamic, pocket rocket of a book so hold on to your hats and enjoy the ride!

4.0 out of 5 stars Family Dynamics, Romance, Ice Hockey ... and a lead character with a dynamic personality!, 25 May 2012
Shazjera (Bournemouth) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Taking Charge (Kindle Edition)
Taking Charge begins with our female lead Robyn in Chicago. She's at the airport waiting for a connection to Kalamazoo, Michigan. She's not looking her best after all those hours of travelling from England! Her backpack breaks ... enter male lead Cole Ryan who offers to help. They're both on their way to Portage.

The story that follows takes the reader through Robyn facing the issues she'd left home for and Cole coming to terms with his past. They're both trying to find a place to belong being driven by childhood issues and emotional wounds. Alongside this runs the sub-plot of best friend Sarah and her romance (as well as Robyn taking charge of the roadhouse and ice-hockey team).

Straight away Robyn comes across as a very sassy character. She is bossy, feisty, upfront and tells it as it is. This is a complete departure from the other stories I've read from this author where I've seen the female lead grow and evolve. For me, Robyn over-shadowed Cole and I didn't feel their attraction as I have in past stories. I did enjoy watching the growing relationship with Robyn and her father Eddie and his partner Nancy. I'm always drawn to the dynamics in family relationships and this was quite a strong theme in Taking Charge.

Written in the third person, this allows the reader to see everyone's point of view in the story. With Robyn's character being a strong one, this does allow the reader to identify with Cole's point of view and reasoning.

My predictions about the character responsible for causing Robyn to leave home were correct. This character was delineated brilliantly and the desperation was palpable.

The author's writing style of dialogue is easy to read and the story moves at a fast pace which holds the reader's attention. The most tension-filled moment for me was during an ice-hockey game. I also loved the team camaraderie!

In the ARC there are ice-hockey terms and a suggested music playlist at the beginning. I didn't need to refer to the terms although I thought it was an added extra that they were there if I needed them.

Taking Charge for me was more about family dynamics than the relationship between Robyn and Cole but I can't finish my review without saying that the timescale of their romance I found believable as we all are carried along on Robyn's personality and the ending did leave a tear in my eye!

I would like to thank the publishers for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

4.0 out of 5 stars 'When we first met, you bowled me over, just because you were you.', 24 May 2012
L. H. Healy "Books are life, beauty and truth." (Cambridgeshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Taking Charge (Kindle Edition)
'We're just right together, Robyn, don't ask me to explain it. When we first met, you bowled me over, just because you were you.'

Robyn Matthers returns to Portage, Michigan after nine years away living in England. Now 25, she is heading back because her father Eddie is seriously ill. Struggling with her broken backpack as she changes planes in Chicago, she meets Cole Ryan, who it turns out is also travelling to Portage. The two get on well and talk during their flight - well, mainly it's Robyn who talks! I love Cole's first impression of Robin - 'She was nice. Really nice - but kind of crazy. She'd hardly stopped to take a breath between sentences on the plane, but he'd enjoyed it.'

On arrival back in her hometown, Robyn is met by her Aunt Pam and Uncle Bob, who now have not so sweet twin nine-year-old daughters.

Robyn has a lot to face back in Portage. Her father is in hospital and not doing himself any favours with his bad diet and stubborn behaviour. Meanwhile, his business, the Roadhouse, seems to have gone downhill, and his ice-hockey team, the Portage Panthers, is struggling. Robyn arrives on the scene and begins to take charge of everything, determined to turn around the fortunes of all of them.

However, she has to deal with Nancy, Eddie's new fiancee, and with Brad, her ex-boyfriend, who still holds a torch for her. It's clear there are more serious demons in Robyn's past that are linked to this town too, an awful event that still haunts her dreams, and which she will have to confront all over again. Despite all these challenges, Robyn is glad to be back home: '...despite the mixed feelings she had for the town, the feeling that overrode all the others was longing. Her dad getting ill had somehow given her the courage to return. It was a reason she had long been looking for.'

Cole has his own issues to deal with, the heartache he has endured at the hands of his ex partner Veronica and his brother. He has been deeply hurt and isn't looking to get romantically involved again anytime soon, intending to be single for a while and concentrate on his work projects. He works as a scientist, and he is also a talented ice-hockey player, joining the Portage team and beginning to get to know Robyn better.

There is a lovely, instant attraction between Robyn and Cole, and a real chemistry. It's a joy to see how the relationship between them develops, how it gives them both a renewed lust for life and love. In Robyn's case:

'She wanted the way she felt for him to be what she had been too scared to look for. She wanted to be free from everything she'd been before. She wanted a new start and she wanted to share that with him.'

This new love changes Cole too: 'He felt invigorated. He felt alive...They shared an undeniable connection.'

This is a really enjoyable and likeable romantic novel from Mandy Baggot, with two great lead characters, and some lovely light-hearted humour as well as a much more serious sub-plot. I raced through it, devouring the story, wanting to know the outcome. I did guess at what had happened in the past but this didn't affect my curiosity to have this confirmed later in the story. The dialogue flows easily and naturally, and I think Robyn and Cole are both very likeable, rounded characters. I admired Robyn and her achievements, her fierce determination to get things done, and done well, and her independence. She has come through a difficult, unhappy childhood, and she is confident and straight-talking, but she is also vulnerable. Cole is a tall, dark and handsome leading man; he is strong and sensitive, with his own vulnerabilities.

A highly recommended romantic read! I look forward to reading more books by this author.

Taking Charge