5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most comprehensive books for Photoshop
O'Reilly's series of 'Missing Manual' books is one of the few that very comprehensively cover their respective subject. The other major contenders are Wiley's 'Bible' or 'For Dummies' series and there are others which may usually hit the short-list, but not consistently.

Published on 16 Aug. 2012 by Andy_atGC

3.0 out of 5 stars Photoshop guide to CS6
A heavy volume - I have found a different book on CS6 that is much easy to read and understand
Published on 11 Mar. 2013 by Archer Ted

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most comprehensive books for Photoshop, 16 Aug. 2012
Andy_atGC (London UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)

It is difficult to say whether one series or which of the corresponding titles from each is necessarily the better. They all cover the basics of installation, configuration, the different modules and their uses, the menus etc and also what tools are available and how to use them. They have their differences and their own distinctive house styles and you may prefer one to the other. I have several titles from all three series and, when in doubt or needing to clarify the use of some tool that I use only rarely, it will usually be the 'Missing Manual' or 'Bible' to which I would refer, following up with the most recent 'Dummies'. I will usually choose one or two for one program over time but not always when I upgrade the software.

On balance, the O'Reilly titles tend to have a very slight edge but only by a percentage point or two, over the 'Bible' and about the same between that and the 'Dummies'. There tends to be slightly more illustrations in the O'Reilly series but again there is little in it. If you are using or intend to buy Photoshop CS6, you will not make a serious error were you to choose this book. It may not cover absolutely nook and cranny of Photoshop, and there is no other that does to my knowledge, but it does cover just about everything that most users will ever need, and then some.

It is, as are the corresponding Wiley titles, directed at the general user and not specifically photographers for whose benefit there are other books that tend to have the word 'Photographer' or a variant within the titles.

4.0 out of 5 stars can still take some finding, 13 Feb. 2013
This is an amazing piece of work but finding what you want is not always obvious. The answers will almost certainly be in it but not always obvious and some practice will be needed to hone your skills. If you know nothing or you are looking to hone existing technics this manual will help. There is a lot of free advice on the net useful if you are already familiar with the CS products, but this book fills in all the gaps. After a few weeks reading and playing I have only just down loaded the missing CD having used it on my own shots to this point. It might at first seem a bit expensive, it made me think before buying it but my advice now would be, if you are serious enough to buy CS6 then you owe it to yourself to buy this incredible book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Missing manual, 9 Sept. 2012
A. R. Leonard (Great Britain) - See all my reviews
I'm new to Photoshop (CS6) and find myself constantly dipping into this book.
The 862 pages are beautifully illustrated and thoroughly indexed.
The explanations are clear and concise.
Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Photoshop CS 6 - Lesa Snider, 24 July 2012
Trevor Jones (Newark, Notts, UK) - See all my reviews
Easily the best in the O'Reilly series on Photoshop. It is well laid out and really comprehensible!
An absolute must for those embarking on this demanding software.
I normally use the iPad version whilst working with the programme on the desktop, but the book is excellent as a reference guide from time to time.
It is also beautifully printed with full colour illustrations.
Five stars then!!

Trevor H. Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, 5 Aug. 2013
I don't suppose a complete photoshop beginner is buying CS6 - but if they were they'd struggle without a book like this. Probably they would struggle even with it - as photoshop is not exactly self evident - but without it they'd be very stuck. If you want to get the best out of photoshop (or other film/photo software), the missing manual series is very useful. I've used PS Elements extensively, and learned lots about that (and photo-editing in general) with the "Missing Manual" for that. The upgrade to the full version was quite challenging because it works quite differently. I use this as a key reference, and it sits by my computer - easy to reach when I need to refer to it. I haven't delved into the more arcane depths of the programme yet - but now that I have this book I intend to!

Occasionally I find the illustrations hard to decipher - but that could very well be my eyesight. My biggest criticism to date is the mysterious highlighting of some words in a light green colour. They're not easy to see and it is not clear to me why those words (and not other words) are highlighted.

5.0 out of 5 stars photoshop clarity, 20 Nov. 2012
The missing manual is an apt description - I lament the good old days when a written manual came with a software product. This CS6 manual is well and clearly written and illustrated. And the Amazon price is good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Photoshop CS6 "the missing manual", 14 Mar. 2013
This book focuses on the Standard edition of Photoshop CS6 and in my opinion really lives up to the "Missing Manual" name. I am a Photoshop newbie and I can honestly say this book has been a godsend. The book covers all the previous edition tools, tricks and tips in addition to fully explaining all of the new features available in CS6. Be aware though that the extra features of CS6 Extended are not covered.

4.0 out of 5 stars love it, 2 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Photoshop CS6: The Missing Manual (Kindle Edition)
nice and easy explanations very good to cut through some of the extraneous things in photoshop
that can make it seem more complicated than necessary!

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy Two and Pay for Two, 17 Sept. 2012
G.W.P. "woodpecker" (Lancashire, England.) - See all my reviews
I started "Shopping" as an hobby seven or eight years ago with Elements 6 and have slowly progressed through the series to my latest version - CS6 Extended. My main tutorial source has always been "The Missing Manual" title, usually backed up with a cheaper supplementary volume. These extras were looked at once or twice and then forgotten. This time, after reading all the reviews, I opted for the "Bible" to be my second source. To date, I have not opened my "Photoshop CS 6" manual as the "Bible" is so well and clearly written. However, based on my past knowledge and experience of Lesa Snider's work I feel that a fair critical comparison would be 50.5/49.5% in favour of the "Bible"; both are invaluable works!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Photoshop CS6 Bible, 4 Jan. 2013
John Dowsett (Norwich, England) - See all my reviews
At last a book that teaches you the facts without unnecessary jokes and banter. Not a book to read from cover to cover but ideal to look up detailed instructions on using the many hundred techniques available in Photoshop

Photoshop CS6: The Missing Manual