5.0 out of 5 stars Super Scott does it again!
I've been using Lightroom ever since it first came out, and have upgraded to every new version. With each new incarnation of Lightroom Scott Kelby produces a new version of the Adobe Lightroom book for Digital Photographers, so of course, I buy each one as it comes out. Why? Because each new version has something the previous one didn't have, and each of Scott's books...
Published on 21 May 2012 by Black Tent

3.0 out of 5 stars Landscape photographers may be disappointed
I purchased Lightroom 4 about two months ago and was impressed with the software and its capabilities. Having read the reviews of this book I decided to purchase a copy and eagerly awaited its delivery in order to try and improve my editing skills further. I agree with other comments that it is light and "chatty", but in my mind it is too light and therefore superficial...
Published on 11 Oct. 2012 by A. Turner

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Just what you need, 29 Jun. 2012
A typical high quality book from Scott Kelby (I've owned previous versions of this book, plus others of his). Contains all the information you need to get the most out of Lightroom, and you'll almost certainly discover things you didn't know the software is capable of. I much prefer Scott's style (you can skip the American humour at the beginning of each chapter) to that of Martin Evening's tedious prose.

2.0 out of 5 stars ...as impenetrable and obscure as Lightroom itself!, 7 April 2013
This book is NOT for beginners or for those among us who struggle with simple computer terminology and functions. Despite the claim that the book will guide the user along a clear and logical path through Lightroom, unless that user/reader has at least a working knowledge of computers and their associated terminology, then expect to be disappointed.

I have no doubt that a more computer-literate user will entirely disagree with me - but I speak for the computer "disenfranchised" among us.

4.0 out of 5 stars It could have had 4 and a half stars, 21 Dec. 2013
Well worth the money. Very glad I purchased this book. Really easy reading. Well organised and worth reading chapter by chapter as advised by the author. From the way to importing and organising your storage of images through to suggestions about tweaking your photos, jumping into Photoshop, presenting and printing your work and a final chapter on workflow, Scott Selby (with some humour but mostly easily understood explanations) delivers great knowledge and advice about coping with "Lightroom 4". If as a newcomer to "Lightroom" as I am you should really read it twice as the second time around more things stick as you become familiar with the software. If you do not have a copy yet then you should buy one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to a powerful package., 11 April 2013
Having recently stepped into the world of Adobe Lightroom I was looking for a book that would provide a bit of background on how to use the package. On the surface, Lightroom seems a pretty lightweight piece of software but with some powerful quick-editing tools.

Looking through the other books here on Amazon, this one immediately jumped out to me. Not just because at the time of ordering it was #1 in the charts for books on Photoshop/Lightroom but simply because of the name Scott Kelby on the cover.

I first became aware of Mr. Kelby though his book "Down & Dirty Tricks With Photoshop 6" which still has a place on my shelf as it demonstrates how to achieve stunning effects in Photoshop very simply. I still use the techniques today.

Kelby has a style of writing that may not be for everyone, he sometimes tries too hard to be humorous, but the upshot is that reading one of his books is like having a favourite uncle explaining how to do it. You cringe at his jokes sometimes, but the lighthearted way in which he explains things means they stick.

The book covers the multitude of ways of working with Lightroom and Kelby uses real-world examples on how to use Lightroom's organisational abilities to your best advantage. Never getting too bogged down in the technical side, but explaining things in a "hey look, this bit is really cool!" way Kelby makes Lightroom a very enjoyable product to work with.

If you're already using Lightroom professionally, or have had experience with earlier versions of the software, this might be a little too basic, but for the first-time user who would like to learn a few things about Lightroom I'd highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent foundation that serves well as a reference, 23 Mar. 2013
P. Greasby - See all my reviews
I have used Lightroom for a while yet had been mostly self-taught. Although I followed some online training I only covered what I wanted to know. I found the different modes a little confusing and I still think Adobe could do more to build in workflows into the user experience of Lightroom. Highlights and whites sound very similar when you are unfamiliar with these terms and they changed a bit of terminology in the move to Lightroom 4.

I bought this book to learn about features I was unaware of, and also as a handy reference. I don't have any of Scott's other books so went purely on reviews. I particularly liked the emphasis on the photographer with this title, as I am planning on creating some photo books.

My first impression when I flicked through the book was very positive. I love the balance of words and pictures. Also each section has a consistent layout, which I've subsequently noticed in other books by Scott. The top centre is an executive summary of the topic, and then a step-by-step approach supported by lots of pictures. I like that Scott gives his guidance on certain settings and features which are must-know features over those which are a bit of a waste of time. One can waste an immense amount of time to come to that realisation. Also Scott is very workflow oriented, and I believe knowing workflows is as important perhaps more so than knowing the tools properly, particularly if you're a professional.

Scott recommends reading cover to cover. I have been doing so every night since receiving the book. I am not 100% sure this is important though. To an extent his comment is under-stating the value of his own book. The content area and way the book is written does allow you to quickly identify something you need to know about, say correcting white balance, and read just that one section, put the book down and apply what you learned. Each section generally uses unique images, and is not presented in a project style, where the same project is worked on throughout a chapter. There is a little continuity but it's easy to hop into and out of a chapter on demand without feeling you really should have read the whole chapter or even the previous topic. I find this aspect to the book incredibly useful and puts the book near my Mac and not on the bookshelf whilst using Lightroom.

The book is also a good read cover to cover, and I am combining the two. I have had some urgent photo work to do following the recent loss of a family member, to restore some seriously damaged photographs, and bring them to exhibitions standard in a very short space of time. With Scott's book I have managed to achieve this, and the impact has been so well received.

So what is there not to like about the book? Well nothing really. I noticed one reviewer saying Scott comes over as a bit full of his own importance. I absolutely do not get this impression about him. He speaks with the air of authority you would expect from an expert in the field, but he is also humble to the subjectivity of the art. Two things do bother me a little about the way the book is presented. Firstly each topic is presented as a step-by-step guide. So step 1, 2, 3 etc. In most cases this is appropriate as he covers the workflow you need to go through. However sometimes Scott talks about alternative approaches. Sometimes there are many different ways of doing things. These are also presented in a stepped approach. Here is where I would personally have used a different template, and instead of naming each as a step, I would have named them by approach. It's a minor comment and really doesn't detract from the enjoyment of the book, just something that the publisher could have optimised. My other comment is that although they show many images, they are mostly full screen images of the Lightroom screen which is very detailed. When he talks about some of the controls, where you don't need to see full screen, it's very difficult to see what he's pointing to in my copy. There is little use of zoomed view. Where the reader needs to see the controls and the photo they could have zoomed the control and shown the photo as a smaller size or zoomed that too if the detail in the photo is relevant to the thing they are trying to show. He does this well in places like Chapter 10, but there are many examples where I would have wished for more selective cropping of the images.

Overall I am delighted with this book. Lightroom is NOT an intuitive tool and the built-in workflows are not obvious until someone someone like Scott points them out. Scott's lack of association with Adobe means that he is candid and honest about certain features, which someone working for or representing Adobe would not be. This is really important as the reader feels like Scott's apprentice than a customer of Adobe.

There is criticism for Scott not covering certain aspects of photography in enough detail, and I can see that there is space for a lot more learning beyond this book. However I feel that this book covers the essentials and builds a foundation on which most photographers will be able to develop their own knowledge. Scott does cover a good variety of photographic topics and doesn't proclaim this book to be specialist in any one area of photography.

I would recommend looking at the 'look inside' content and judging whether you like Scott's writing style or not, and whether the layout and flow of the book works for you. It has for me and I cannot recommend it high enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars priceless !, 26 Jun. 2012
S. Harrington - See all my reviews
brilliant book,extremely well thought out. it is like having scott kelby with you ! very easy to follow, and not to techie either. buy it ,you will learn how to do what you want,with somebody beside you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Resource, 27 Aug. 2012
This review is from: The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter) (Kindle Edition)
If you are not that experienced with Lightroom 4 or want a good reference book then this is perfect.You can look up specific guidance in the contents and it will set out clearly what to do with very useful advice as to the best way to use the software. Its well written with some humour and lots of practical advice that works and makes sense.Pricey as are all such books but this is worth it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too chatty and jumps about, 26 Jan. 2014
To a novice of Lightroom I found the book difficult to follow in a logical sequence, As a Brit I find American writing quite infuriating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!, 6 Oct. 2012
I've recently bought LR4 and had an idea of how to use some basic functions, but using Scott Kelby's "how-to" instructions I can now choose my favourite photos and sort them into a collection ready to edit within minutes (used to take me up to an hour to sort my photos from a shoot!) His tips on converting to B&W have made a HUGE difference to my conversions, and thanks to his instructions (and enthusiasm!) and I going to try shooting tethered...

His instructions are very easy to follow, his hints and tips have made a huge difference to how I use LR4, and the book is written in an interesting, engaging way - it's not a dry, dusty textbook, it's written in such a way as you can enjoy reading it. For anyone that's alittle nervous about learning new software and thinks they don't pick things up veyr quickly or easily, this book is perfect. Am now going to buy some more of his books on the basis of how useful I've found this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, Now I'm An Expert, 19 July 2012
I like Kelby's books. Okay, they are a bit flowery, but I find them easy to read and they do tell me how to do the things I want to do. They tell me how to do things I didn't know I coould do too! I cannot compare with others, but for me this book has been a good investment - as recommended by my cousin. Thanks mate!

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›