4.0 out of 5 stars Strong but expensive - Updated
Not bad at all for a protective case. Used for a couple of months now for S3 mini.

Tricky to put phone into case but even trickier to get the thing out! Typically one ends up accidentally removing the back cover of the phone bc of trying to ease off the protective (rubber/plastic) case, but this is probably better than the opposite of having too loose a case...
Published on 25 April 2013 by Nothern Climes

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent protection and looks good too
This case looks much better than the cheap shiny rubber cases that seem to be available in endless quantities and for very little outlay online. The combination of soft rubber insert and hard outer case really seem up to the job of protecting the phone and I have dropped it twice now from over waist height onto concrete without a single mark appearing on the phone or...
Published on 29 Aug. 2011 by CR

‹ Previous | 1 2 351 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost excellent, 4 May 2013
If you are looking for a great quality case that feels as good as it looks, this is the one for you.

It looks great, feels great, makes the phone a lot easier to grip, and I have no doubts about its ability to protect the phone if I drop it (not something, however, I am going to deliberately test!) The quality of the materials seems miles ahead of a lot of cases I have seen. The only reason it drops a star is because the fit between the inner and outer parts of the case is not great, it just seems like the outer part is not 100% secure, albeit it has not fallen off yet. All the ports and buttons are accessible and work fine, except the volume key can occasionally stick. No notable issues with camera or call reception.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a very easy case to fit, 24 July 2014
SBno1 - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Please note that this review is for the Samsung Galaxy S5 version of the case. Amazon have different versions of the case on the same page, therefore reviews will be mixed together.

This is a very easy case to fit. Just drop the phone into the silicone section and pop the hard shell on top of that. Job done.

I recently had a Griffin type military case with chunky silicone buffers on the corners and an inner frame that snapped onto the back late to hold the case in place should it hit the floor. This worked well and a few drops were survived. However, the trade off is the additional bulk. This case tries to reach a compromise between protection and size. It carries it off well and it looks and feels sturdy enough.

However, I have my reservations. The phone sits in snugly, but there is no lip running around to keep the phone in place. I just have this feeling that if the phone hits the floor it will dislodge and spill out. I guess by then most of the energy from the fall will have been dissipated on impact, but I have visions of the phone sliding across the floor. I can't say for sure if this will be the case (no pun intended) and only an accident will confirm or put to bed my fears.

I can't mark the case down for my unfounded fears, but I am taking a star off for grip in the hand. The case has a nice textured finish, but it is smooth to hold. If you don't have a tight grip on the phone it could just slip right out of your hand. The military type cases were quite rubbery for impact absorption and grip in hand. You can hold the phone in the flat of your hand at an angle and it will stay put, with this one it stars to slide off your hand at just a few degrees of angle.

It is a nice case with all necessary cut outs lining up perfectly. It doesn't interfere with the camera lens, charging port or earphones. At the current price of 17 GBP it is a bit pricey, but does look good and is in keeping with the styling of the S5

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent protection., 23 Feb. 2014
I first purchased a Case Mate Tough case for my Samsung Galaxy S2, and 2 years on the phone still looks brand new, much to my Mother's delight (I always pass on my old phones to her, am I a great son or what?).

So needless to say I purchased one for my new S4 Mini, because this coupled with the Gorilla Glass screen means that clumsy people such as myself don't have to worry about little knocks and scratches.

Keep in mind that this case does add a fair amount of thickness to the phone, so if you like to be seen with a stylish wafer thin phone or you have a fondness for skinny jeans then this may not be the case for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, fits well..., 11 Oct. 2013
S. Riches - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
It is a tight close fit, needing a soft inner and then a rigid outer to be eased onto the phone, however my 14 & 12-year olds managed it ok. Better a snug fit than a wonky cover! I have one of these for a bigger phone too and it has provided 2 years of excellent protection so far.
All phone functions can be accessed while in this case, and given the number of phones that get cracked screens and damage when dropped, I made it a condition of my lads getting new phones that they always operated them with one of these cases fitted.
The grip is excellent, the "feel" is solid and assuring, the phone still looks fine and all one-handed processes can still be done one-handed while in the case.
Like many other purchasers I see no reason to put it to the test by slinging it down onto concrete, but people do speak highly of the case's protective ability when there is an accident.
I like the way that the rim sits slightly proud of the screen: that should give it a fighting chance of not cracking the glass if dropped.
It would be good if the manufacturers could do it in different colours to match various phones, but I suspect that different colour molecules may well weaken the composite strength characteristics of the current black compound. Steve Riches, Northampton, UK.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems quite tough., 29 May 2013
It fits very snugly. I've not yet drop tested it and don't intend to. I think I'm less likely to drop it with this case on because the case (while not sticky) feels slightly rubberised and does not slip easily out of a shirt pocket like a shiny phone would normally do. All ports and buttons accessable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone cover, 1 May 2013
Very smart cover, with a lovely feel to it. Ironically, because the case gives good grip, I haven't dropped my phone so it hasn't been 'tested'!
Excellent fast delivery by Modern-Tech too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, grippy, what more could you want?, 18 Sept. 2011
Saer (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
My brother having this case for his HTC Desire HD, recommended me getting this case as it can survive any fall (Within reason) and the Galaxy S II is EXTREMELY thin and would snap in half after a nasty fall.

This case, however, gives is excellent protection, without thickening it too much or adding a lot of weight. It comes in two parts: A plastic 'skeleton' and a rubber 'skin'. The skin has grips on the back to make a fall and break situation even less likely, and feels very comfortable in the hand.

The case is very fiddley to get on and off, shouldn't take you much longer than 2 minutes, but with such great protection, why WOULD you want to take it off?

I would recommend this product to everyone, and for every device case-mate make their cases for. :) A*

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality and good value for peace of mind for your S5, 10 Oct. 2014
shaz17 (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Got this for my daughters new Galaxy S5 fits perfect and is as a lovely feel to it. The hard plastic inner is tough and the phone fits nice and snug, the outer more softer case is like a rubbery silicone, so soft to hold and better for the grip. Perfect for bouncing for when she drops it, which she tends to do a lot of.

I like that it makes it harder to press the buttons on the side, so no more turning the volume up & down because you are holding the phone in the wrong place while chatting. The holes are all in the correct place, which a previous we had bought was not. This is a little more expensive than what I paid for another one, but this one seems, feels & looks better quality so worth it in the end.

This is a big phone so had to smile when my daughter said it made her phone seem bigger, she said it felt a little heavier but not by much.

For under £14 I think it is good value for money and the colours of some are just lovely and should keep any teen happy that they can change their covers to suit their moods. Good value for a quality product that my teen is very happy with.

4.0 out of 5 stars Durable and fits well, 30 July 2014
D. Richards (South Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was impressed with this case, it fittied the phone pefrectly and the gaps in the shell allowed plenty of space for headphones / charger leads without having to pull back the rubber to squeeze them in. The case also "clips" to the front of the phone naturally which helps keep it in place.

As stated the case is "tough" and has two layers - one inner (thin plastic) and one outer (hard rubber) that offer good protection for the phone. I dropped the phone a few times, and this case simply bounced off the floor while causing no damage to the phone was so ever. As a result, it does add considerable thinkness to the phone when attached, which could be offputting if you like your phones being slim in your pocket

The only drawback I found was that it did not come with any form of screen protector - so while it offers good protection to the back and sides, the front is still very much exposed.

Overall though, I'm very happy with this cover, and it has come in very, very handy when using my S5 while out climbing / walking / campling

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough and ready to protect, 1 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Case Mate is one of the few cases I'd seen that actually make the phone looks as well as feel more functional.

It's a matte rubberised finish that adds a little bulk to the case, about 5mm on the back and sides, but is much much better than the glossy plastic material Samsung uses for the back of it's phones that generally get oily and slippery. Whilst useable as an everyday case, it has a lot of openings that aren't padded, thus it's possible bits like sand and dirt can slip into the unit, thus it's generally good to take the case off every once in a while to give the innards a clean.

One nice thing to note is the case gives the screen a slight lip over the front, meaning if you drop the phone screen onto concrete, the case and outer frame of the phone should absorb the impact first. Not having tried, but just based on first impressions I would trust this to provide more than adequate protection from any flat drops ~1 metre height onto a hard surface. And very good protection for any corner drops.

‹ Previous | 1 2 351 | Next ›