5.0 out of 5 stars On the Edge of your seat
Published on 15 Jan. 2013 by Wendy Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars Abducted by Spiderman?!
I was quite interested to read the beginning of this new thriller series. The premise was good, and I found the main character of Lizzy very engaging.

Published on 18 Dec. 2012 by Kirsty

5.0 out of 5 stars On the Edge of your seat, 15 Jan. 2013
Wendy Jones "wjones7423" (Dundee, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I got the chance to read this book I did it thinking I might find a new author as I had never read any of T.R. Ragan's books. I am so glad I did. this is definitely an author I will want to read again. This is the first in a series about PI Lizzie Gardner and much of the book outlines Lizzies past as well as that of other characters in the series. Do not let this fool you into thinking this is not a fast paced murder mystery. It certainly is and it takes you on a fly by the seat of your pants ride. "The Spiderman" is out to get Lizzy and anyone who is connected with her. Some of the scenes are quite gruesome and may not be for the more squeamish but they are expertly described and written. The characters are real and I loved the way the reader finds out how they all come together and can see how the characters develop. The wiriting is strong and is used to good effect to pull you into the story. By the explosive finale I was literally holding my breath. Would definitely recommend. Buy now and read now.

3.0 out of 5 stars Abducted by Spiderman?!, 18 Dec. 2012
Kirsty "book fan" (Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

There are some very good ideas put forward in this book, and I especially liked the angle of how life keeps moving on, while the survivor is stuck in their traumatic past. It was interesting to see Lizzys point of view, and how that one event so many years ago still dictates her life, and even the lives of her friends and family.

Many readers have stated that there was too much gore in the book, but to be honest I never felt that the descriptions were out of context, and shock factors are expected in a book of this genre. I found the flash backs to be an integral part of the book, and without them the plot would have been much less entertaining.

Now, although I enjoyed the majority of the book, there were parts that could have used a few tweaks.

The main, glaring point that I couldn't get past was that the killer was called Spiderman. Spiderman!! The blue and red lycra clad superhero that all little boys want to be! Every time I read the name of the villain I pictured the comic book hero, even at the most horrible and disturbing parts of the book. No matter how evil your killer is, if you name him after a well known good guy, it's going to lessen the impact of his actions and sound a little weird.

I also found that Lizzy had too much input into the investigation which wasn't always realistic, the clues were also solved quite easily and quickly by her too. I just felt that it was slightly rushed to try to get to the end, and to explain the reasons of why Spiderman was killing,(which I felt were extreme, compared to what he went through).

A book worth reading, but you can tell this was a debut novel. I did enjoy it enough to check out the second book in the series [[ASIN:161218510X Dead Weight (The Lizzy Gardner Series #2)]} though.

3.0 out of 5 stars Does Not Entirely Fulfil It's Promise, 18 April 2013
Brett H (Brighton) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Abducted is an interesting story. Lizzy was abducted by a serial murderer known as The Spiderman whilst a teenager. She was the only one of his victims to survive. She did so by talking to him and forming a relationship of sorts which eventually enabled her to gain his confidence and escape. However, many years later Spiderman has re-emerged. Apparently this has been triggered by the arrest and conviction of someone else who has taken credit for his crimes and Lizzy is on his agenda.

Sounds promising? Yes, I thought so too when I read the synopsis. Unfortunately I felt it did not entirely live up to its promise. It is quite hard to put your finger on exactly what is lacking here, but I would say the main problem is that the narrative does not impart the tension which the content would seem to demand. The result is that it is very difficult to get caught up in the action and to take it at all seriously.

The climax is fairly fast moving, but I was jumping ahead of the story and correctly guessing what was going to happen next. I think that Lizzy is fairly well defined, but at best comes across as naïve in the extreme. However, in fairness perhaps one should put that down to her previous experiences with Spiderman. Other characters were not developed to the extent that the reader identified with them to any significant extent.

There is clearly going to be a series of books starring Lizzy Gardner. However, I was not totally convinced about the first so will not be hurrying to catch up on her future adventures.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent read, 22 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Abducted (Lizzy Gardner Series, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Abducted is a pretty decent story. The plot was interesting and the story moved fast enough to keep me reading. I would have given this book 5 stars but for 2 things. Firstly, the sex scene seemed very contrived, almost obligatory, and it was horribly cliche with phrases like "in all his glory," and "they climaxed together." Come on...Please! Just awful. It would have been better left completely to the imagination, fade to black or something pertaining to the moments after. My second issue was the ending. It was just too neat and easily tied together. Otherwise, it was a decent read. The characters were well developed and for the most part likeable, but there were alot of them, maybe too many. The Spiderman character was believable. All-in-all, Abducted is a good summertime read.

4.0 out of 5 stars good start to a new series, 13 Dec. 2012
Su (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I like thrillers, the likes of the Lincoln Rhyme books, so I always have great hopes for any new series of books - sometimes they are great, sometimes good, and sometimes not. In the case of the Lizzie Gardner books (having read the first two) I can say that I have not been let down yet.

In this first book we discover that Lizzie was kidnapped as a teenager by a "notorious serial killer" with a thing for poisonous spiders. Being a fast thinker she managed to convince the killer that she was not his type and he should not kill her. She gets away from him and he escapes the pursuing police. Then nothing more is heard from him. Obviously this traumatic experience still has an effect on her several years on as her PTSD-type flashbacks would indicate.

Worse news is to come; her ex-boyfriend and FBI agent informs her that the killer is back, and that he appears to be looking for her. So beings the hunt - as he hunts her, she and her ex try to discover who he is.

There are a lot of areas where I thought "you can't do that" - for example, Lizzie goes through the evidence. This interference with crime scene material would mean that all the evidence against the killer would be thrown out of court.

There is also a little confusion on the author's part as to Lizzie's attitude towards the "Spiderman" - one paragraph she is terrified of him and the next she's seemingly unmoved by him.

These are small picky points but they stood out for me.

Overall a good read and a good start to a series of books which gets better with the second volume "Dead Weight".

I would recommend that you read this book first as it helps set up some of the relationships which occur in the second book, as well as giving you an understanding of Lizzie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting,gripping,excellent., 1 Mar. 2013
Mrs. T. SALMON "upstreamers" (streatham london) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book is is fast paced and exciting. I just had to keep reading. It is a dark type of thriller as the serial killer is evil ,as of course serial killers are meant to be. Lizzy is a good heroine and I found her believable the other characters are well defined too. If you are a fan of "Criminal mind" and that genre then you will enjoy this book. I am now off to read the next one in this series.

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh Dear, Not For Me, 27 Mar. 2013
Lynda Kelly "Lynda" (Shipton Bellinger, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Abducted (Lizzy Gardner Series, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I got 15% in and I'd had enough. It was all over the place and it was confusing and irritating, I thought.
Firstly it kicks off with a killer stalking someone called Jennifer THEN he abducts someone called Lizzy that same night and we hear no more about Jennifer....huh ??
I'm assuming that where drivers sit on the lefthand side in an American car that their ignition key sits to the right too ? Or I don't see otherwise how anyone could grab the key if they'd been abducted.
The lead Lizzy runs a business as a private investigator yet we're expected to believe she shouts down the phone not once but twice before learning who was on the other end. Hardly very professional. Deja vue was spelt as deje vue, a character had no facial hair whereas a few pages earlier he had and it seemed to have been written by someone very young for perhaps teenagers.
Not for me, I'm afraid.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great but thrilling enough to keep you hooked, 21 Nov. 2012
JK "J. K." (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Abducted is an OK thriller with enough pace and gore to draw you in and keep you hooked but; I can't say the plot's paritcularly original as it follows a tried and trusted formula:- girl is abducted = girl escapes = killer begins cat and mouse chase to hunt her down and finish the job. Throw in some spiders, because nobody likes them, make sure you set up the main character to be a PI, who just happens to teach self defence, and it's all becoming a little bit glib, convenient, and easy to work out. T. R. Ragan saves the novel because the psychological tension builds nicely throughout and you're gripped enough by what's going on to ignore some of the weaker aspects of the plot. My main criticism would be that there are too many coincidences, a boyfriend just happens to reappear after many years, and too many of the characters are related to Lizzy and to one another, it blurs the edges of reality and softens the sharpness. The best part of the novel is the character of Spiderman, serial killer, who's dark and brutal enough to grace the pages of any hard boiled thriller and real enough that I've remembered him without having to refer back to the book. I'm left feeling 50/50 about Abducted because it's extremely good in places, weak in others, but overall not a bad read. Tighter plotting would have made the concept more believable and lifted the novel to another level.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another successful Lizzy Garner thriller, 8 Oct. 2012
Brian R. Martin (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Recently I read (and reviewed) `Dead Weight', the second thriller that features the Californian private investigator Lizzy Gardner. `Abducted' is the first book in the series, so for me it was a sort of prequel, because it explains events that are the background to the second book. Fourteen years earlier Lizzy had been kidnapped by a notorious serial killer, named Spiderman because of his fascination with poisonous spiders, and had to witness him torture and kill several teenage girls. He saw his `mission' as `cleansing' the community of `bad' girls. Lizzy managed to persuade him that he had made a mistake in her case, and she was the only victim who survived. She is still recovering from the traumatic experience (there are frequent flashbacks to the time of her incarceration) when she receives an urgent message from her former boyfriend, Jared, who is now an FBI agent. A young girl has been abducted and a note addressed to Lizzy, apparently from Spiderman, has been found at the scene. After a long absence has Spiderman returned, and if so why?

It becomes clear that Spiderman is intent on punishing Lizzy for what he sees as her betrayal, although it takes some time to persuade the officer in charge of the case, because he still believes that a man arrested at the time of the earlier kidnappings and who has confessed to the crimes is the real Spiderman. The rest of the book is about how Spiderman abducts young girls close to Lizzy before homing in on his intended victim, and how she and Jared, helped by Hayley, eventual track down the deranged killer. It is a complicated plot with a lot of violence, and there are many subplots that explain the backgrounds of some of the characters and Lizzy's relationships with them. But, as in `Dead Weight', the various themes, both professional and personal, are well integrated, although here there are a few unlikely coincidences and the ending is somewhat unbelievable. Nevertheless, it is still is a good, fast moving, easy to read thriller.

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor Plot, 11 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Abducted (Lizzy Gardner Series, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Reasonably good read but I found the plot and action rather disappointing.
In typical style, the heroine stalks the killer virtually alone and...well, you can guess what happens.
Her boy friend is an FBI agent and yet the two of them are largely alone in working to solve the cases.
Finally, although they know a small girl is a probable target, they do nothing to really protect her and..guess what!