4.0 out of 5 stars It worked for me, but you'll need the Youtube video manual.
Having read the reviews I approached this item with much trepidation. But I have to say, I think several criticisms have been a little harsh. However, do takw on board a few points:

Published 17 months ago by Harry Boxx

2.0 out of 5 stars Motion detection is unreliable and frustrating
Published 21 months ago by George Vekinis

4.0 out of 5 stars It worked for me, but you'll need the Youtube video manual., 11 Feb 2013
This review is from: Mini USB Flash Disk Hidden Camera Mini DVR with Motion Activated Wholesales (Electronics)

1. The instruction sheet is both hilarious and (almost) totally useless. My guess is that the original Japanese text was run through an on-line translator and not subsequently checked. So, do look at a couple of CUSTOMER reviews on Youtube who guide you on how to operate it.

2. Before you do anything, connect it to the USB on your pc and FULLY charge the battery. (Even Youtube miss out this important step).

3. When you've charged the battery (the blue light goes out), put in and format the mini SD card. I had a slight problem at this stage simply because I hadn't pushed home and fully engaged the card connections inside the device. (Formatting is also overlooked on Youtube.)

4. The item comes with a CD for (I assume) driver installation. I binned this without even looking at it. I use Windows 7 and never install anything on my pc I'm unsure of. Windows 7 will automatically find the drivers you need.

After that, thanks to the video manuals I mention, I had no problem. I was quite surprised and impressed by the video quality I could achieve (better than expected). And there is no silly flashing status light when the device is meant to be recording in secret, unlike similar "spy pens". (Why on earth do they do that?) So, for me, fine. But it's not an "intuitive" device. You do have to familiarize yourself with it a step at a time.

2.0 out of 5 stars Motion detection is unreliable and frustrating, 25 Oct 2012
George Vekinis "gvekinis" (Athens, Greece) - See all my reviews
Although the still camera mode and audio recording worked fine, its most important feature, the motion activated video, did not work well and certainly it didnt work in anything less than bright light. When it did work, the battery life was a meagre 10 minutes, even though I tried charging it according to the (very badly translated) instructions. I did find some better instructions on youtube (some altruist had worked it out, thanks gov!) and they helped a bit, but the problem persisted.
All-in-all a rather poor experience since I bought it only for its motion-activation to catch some interesting wildlife near my work.
I might still be able to get it to work better by replacing the battery, but it is frustrating.

3.0 out of 5 stars returned, 15 Oct 2013
failed to work for me .But great returns service and good customer care.Would deal with them again at some point in the near future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mini USB Flash Disk Hidden Camera Mini DVR with Motion Activated, 17 July 2014
Thought it was faulty, when I activated the camera for motion detect it was on straightaway. Realised the motion detect was sensitive and triggering immediately. The picture quality for the size and price is good. I left mine on the garden wall and it made several videos as passing cars and people triggered it. I bought it for a bit of fun for that price. Also thought someone came on our drive some times so I was going to use it to capture that.
The basic operation is not too bad, I mainly use the motion detect video.
To operate this- long press button nearest usb (2 button side) switches on, light turns red. Single quick press on the button on its own, its now in motion detect video mode. May turn on instantly as above. If no motion detected it times out in about 2 minutes.
Quick press of the single button again and its back in standby mode. During these operations you get various vibrates and light flashes.
Mine works ok, maybe with cheap electronics some of the component values vary a bit so some are not quite as good as others (only my thoughts).

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 7 Nov 2013
The manual is in such poor English that I am having trouble using it.
I have bought something else which is understandable.

1.0 out of 5 stars Motion detect only works for first 10 minutes then device powers off => USELESS, 2 July 2014
Bought primarily for the motion detect feature which triggers for the first 10 minutes after the device is positioned and activated, and thereafter it appears to go into power off mode (to save battery?!?) so you don't get any more captures after that. Does not do what it says on the tin. Utter junk.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor delivery times, 30 Jun 2014
Very poor delivery times . The item came with a manual that had been very roughly translated and did not make a lot of sense on how to use or charge the item. it was also not clear you would need a micro sd to use it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 17 Jun 2014
Purchased two and followed instructions both by YouTube and instructions but neither work for more than a few minutes. Not even worth one star

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 15 Jun 2014
John Neale "JFN" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
1 star as I am still trying to make it work

My first problem was trying to get my PC to locate the device, then the software was faulty

I used a hammer to ajust the software, I now know whats inside, best of luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never recomended

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price, 11 Jun 2014
product works very well , the clarity is not fantastic and the video produced is not much better than a standard webcam , but dose the job for covert capture , photographs are of a better quality , but the main reason for 3 stars is the battery life I get about 45 minutes of recording out of it and was a expecting more . but on the whole I would recommend