on 13 October 2013
Thoroughly enjoyed this book, delighted to read that it is based on real lives to the extent that it is. Concern though at the number of grammatical errors and in particular Sir James replaced by Sir Edward and Andrew, even reading the pages of book two included here the names are again mixed up....disappointing. I am reading on my kindle and wonder if Kindle editions are not subjected to a full and professional editing?
on 9 September 2013
The story is set at the time when a lot of the Scots were having their land taken for sheep farming and the displaced trying their luck in Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. I was hoping for a story with more historical background and found instead a story of couples promising to wait while fortunes are made or lost. Lot's of 'Does he/she really mean to stay faithful to his/her promise'. It was okay.
on 19 August 2014
Amazing! Well researched, credible characters, un-put-downable. Although each book in the trilogy stands alone I would advise reading them all with no gaps. I felt totally transported. The subtle changes in social attitudes as time goes by are present without distraction. I'd happily give it a 5 +!
on 11 June 2013
A very interesting story, and very readable. I would like to have read more about the actual countryside and the other people in the story, but truly enjoyed the read, I would like to have seen more information on the actual building of the cabins etc....but that's me. A very nice story.
on 18 October 2014
This novel was a free book and I must say was a good taster to read more. I found the character's likable and you wanted them to succeed. The setting was very different from the norm. I will read more from Kate Hewitt
on 18 February 2013
Downloaded as a free read as I like books set in a specific era and whilst a little cliché , it was quick and easy to read. I will read the second to find out more about the characters.
on 22 July 2014
Could not put the book down. A wonderful insight into life of emigrants in the 19th century and the hardships they faced
on 23 September 2013
It was a good story (based on true facts, so a great idea) but the writing wasn't very good and there were so many mistakes, which I find very irritating. At the end of the book is the first chapter of the second book in the trilogy and the mistakes in that were horrendous - couldn't even get the names correct. Really bad. I may read the two other books as I always like to find out what happens, but I wouldn't rush to recommend it to anyone else.
on 13 October 2013
Interesting very factual story so easy to read but hard to put down, got interesting likeable characters
Very interesting storyline and loved the storyline covering all those years
on 22 April 2013
A well written story that holds attention from the first word . Very interesting history of a dreadful time in Scotland's history . Can't wait to read the rest of the series.