4.0 out of 5 stars It's an Alarm Clock!
I've read a few bad reviews of this little DAB Radio alarm clock. In fact, it nearly stopped me from buying it, but after doing quite a bit of research I took the plunge. So, in defense of this product, here are the facts for those interested:

Published 7 months ago by T. Schoon

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware the green glowing white version!
Published 1 month ago by serendipity2003

4.0 out of 5 stars It's an Alarm Clock!, 5 Oct. 2014
T. Schoon "TS" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pure Siesta MI Series 2 Digital and FM Clock Radio - Black (Electronics)

1. This is an alarm clock: That is its primary function; to wake you up. It is not designed to sit next to your Hi-Fi and produce audiophile quality DAB radio. If you want an excellent sounding DAB radio you will need to spend at least £120. This is £30 - £40 so the sound quality is perfectly adequate for the price tag.

2. There are two alarms: This is a great little feature. You can set Alarm 1 to wake you up on 'Weekdays' at '0645' with 'Classic FM' on 'DIGITAL' radio (DAB). Then you could also set Alarm 2 to wake you up at '1030' on 'WEEKENDS' with 'Jazz FM' on 'DIGITAL'.
However, you could also make it FM radio (to pick up other stations) and there are 'DAILY' and 'ONCE' settings for the one-off alarms needed. Extremely useful settings to have.
You can also set what volume you want to set the alarm at which is great if you don't want to wake with a sudden start in mornings like me!

3. The Snooze Function is editable: I read a review where someone said that they found the snooze function annoying. I'm not sure why as it is completely editable. You can program the Snooze duration to anything from 5 to 60mins. The added bonus is that if the radio switches on after you hit the snooze button, it will remain on for 60mins if you don't hit the snooze button again (or switch it off, of course). This is a great function as you can leave the radio playing while you get up and don't have to remember to switch it off!

4. Presets: You can save several radio station presets. This is very easy to do and you can save all of your favourites to make setting an alarm even easier. So, when choosing a station to wake you up you can simply choose a preset which is faster than scrolling through the stations.

5. Text scrolling: Another setting is of how to display the info on the screen. You can have it set to display the time, the radio station or (and this is my favourite) scrollign text of the DAB station. So, if you like to know what track is playing etc this little alarm clock will even do that!

In short, this is a great little alarm clock. It has most features that a high-end DAB radio have but without the bass to lift the sound quality. There are no headphone sockets and no aux inputs. No surprise there really...as it's an alarm clock not a dedicated DAB radio!

I love it and it works brilliantly. My only gripe (and it's a tiny one) is that the aerial is a long wire. I would rather it had been a retractable one. However, it picks up the stations perfectly. It looks and sounds great and most importantly wakes me up when I need to!

Highly recommended if, like me, you have a high quality DAB radio already and are looking for a DAB alarm clock to compliment it.

TS

4.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable for what you pay for it, 18 Sept. 2012
D. M. Roberts (Preston, Lancashire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I've seen reviews for the previous Sietsa mi before opting to buy this product to replace an earlier, more up-market Siesta model, which died on me after several years' use.
Bearing in mind I paid £35 for the Mi (via a high-street 'catalogue' store, not via Amazon) which was about half what I paid for the original Siesta, my findings are as follows:-

* yes, the sound quality isn't great compared to other Pure products (inc. my old Siesta). However, for me this isn't a problem as I only use the radio as an alarm and rarely for general listening. And the DAB signal is much better than FM.
* build qulaity is ok - it's built to a price after all.
* I find the dual alarm very useful
* I like the auto-dimming feature. The original Siesta was too bright at night and an interim FM radio I used until I bought the Mi was bright enough to burn my retina's at close range! I want darkness at night, not St. Elmo's fire!
* It's easy to operate, having been used to the more complicated Siesta model. It looks like the instruction manual has been improved-upon too with legible text to augment the pictures.

In summary, it's a cheap alarm clock with useful features and DAB reception. If it had the sound quality of my previous model I would have 5 stars, but then, I'd be paying more than £35. If sound quality is your priority, then buy something else. If not, then this does the job.

UPDATE

I've added this update for anyone interested. Having discovered that there could possibly be a problem with Pure ac convertor mains leads I tried the cable from my Pure mini one on the old Siesta and, hey presto, it works again! Moreover, the mini one radio still works with the old "faulty" Sietsa convertor cable. I know-not why but it does mean I no longer need the Siesta Mi and hence it's going back for a refund!

I've added this in case other people experience the same problems with their Pure radios. It may be worth investing in a new cable before buying new equipment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just perfect, 30 Nov. 2012
M. Hopper - See all my reviews
This clock is a neat size to fit on a bedside table and the weekday and weekend alarm system is great. The other fantastic thing is the dimming display so your bedroom is not lit up like with some radio alarms!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple to Set-Up & Easy to Use, 15 Aug. 2014
Mr. M. A. Turner "TUNNER!" (Alton in Hampshire - England) - See all my reviews
For under £40 this DAB & FM clock radio is excellent value!

From plugging it in, having the DAB auto tune to my local stations and then I added a few of my favourite FM stations and then testing the alarm took me under 5 minutes. Mind you I did read the instructions first then uses them as a guide. If you do this, you will be rewarded with a very good, but inexpensive clock radio!

Now the sound is not stereo, nor is it audiophile, but for the money, I am not disappointed. You can turn it more than loud enough before it distorts.

The tuning chip pulled in more stations than another DAB product from a different manufacturer I own.

All in all, I am very pleased with this purchase!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little alarm clock, 21 Sept. 2012
Felix (West Midlands, England) - See all my reviews
I love this little radio alarm. It's easy to use and I like the quality for the price. The buttons feel a better quality than some I have tried. The display is visible when the main light is on but not like a flood light in the dark. The sound quality is fine although if you want a speaker that plays a rich sound, then this little radio may not be for you. I listen largely to talk radio so no problem on that front. Good value for money and no regrets on my part.

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware the green glowing white version!, 18 Mar. 2015
I was specifically looking for a bedside clock radio which wouldn't leak too much light into the room to sleep at night. A few reviews here suggested the dimming function on this model was great for avoiding this problem. However, I purchased the clock in white and was very disappointed to find that the casing is really thin plastic. Subsequently the light leaks through and the whole front of the clock glows with green light! I could even see the green glow faintly during daylight hours.
Other than that it is a cute clock, it doesn't take too much space up next to the bed, and being able to set the alarm to go off during the working week only is a very useful feature. The volume setting doesn't far down far enough in my opinion, and I'm not a fan of the gradually increasing volume of the alarm - I would prefer to set it to a constant volume, but that's just my personal preference. My young eyes had no problem seeing the time digits as other people have complained about, and I think the display information is sensible - tells you what you need to know without cluttering up the display with surplus information.
Due to the green glow I have exchanged this for the black version. I hope this is better as I like the look of the overall clock a lot. If this doesn't resolve the green glow problem I think it's going to have to be an old fashioned red digit clock for me instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect little bedside radio, 2 Dec. 2014
I've been looking for a decent bedside DAB for some time, and now I've found it! The auto-dimming on the display is excellent, all the controls (even sleep) are easy to use in the dark and - surprisingly - the sound quality is nowhere near as bad as some reviews have made out. The whole unit is barely 5 inches across, so you can't expect hi-fi, but I was pleasantly surprised - on low-med volume next to the bed I've no complaints at all - I was expecting 1970's pocket tranny-radio sound but this is more like inexpensive-ipod docking station sound!

The alarms are worth noting too, I think its had a firmware update since some of these reviews, so you can set either alarm to any of the preset radio stations you've saved.

Only minor gripe would be the display – it’s a single line of 7-segment digits, which is perfect for a clock/radio (and looks nice I think) but you have to toggle between whether you want time or station name or track info displayed, which is fiddly so I never bother.

2.0 out of 5 stars The sound quality is disappointing. Buy something else., 23 Jun. 2012
I never review stuff, but my feelings about this radio made me sit down and take the time.

I've bought Pure stuff in the past, I have a Pure ONE Mini Series II Compact Portable DAB/FM Radio - Black, and whilst it was on the pricey side the sound quality was good from something so small, I was quietly impressed.

My experience with Pure ONE Mini made me stump up the extra cash for a Siesta MI, rather than a £20 Roberts or Sony. I think that was a poor decision. The sound quality of the Siesta MI is nowhere near close to the ONE Mini, it is tinny and sounds like a cheap Chinese radio. There is no low-end reproduction going on, I'm listening to Paul Weller right now and he sounds like a chipmunk. My mobile has similar reproduction qualities, but the driver is barely 1cm across!

I have no idea why Pure did not use the same driver & internal amp they used in the ONE Mini. The units are the same size.

This experience has severely damaged my opinion of the Pure brand. The Pure team has tested this and thought the sound quality acceptable for the price. That worries me.

My girlfriend was horrified when I let slip I paid nearly £50 for this. Every time I look at it I feel like I've been stung, that's not a good way for a customer to feel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the bad reviews, 3 Nov. 2014
Brilliant. Read other reviews and could not see what the problem was. Good sound quality for a radio alarm clock, displays time while the radio is playing or station and has two alarms. Does exactly what it says 😀

5.0 out of 5 stars Better on FM than DAB, but that's where I live., 30 Mar. 2014
Howard Wilson (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
The DAB is not 100% reliable, but my previous DAB radio didn't pick up many channels at all - this one gets what I want and is a substantial improvement.

The FM signal is excellent and the RDS means it identifies the channel correctly and keeps its time correct. Actually reset itself overnight for British Summer Time and woke me at the right time for an appointment this morning (Mothering Sunday),

Nice looking unit with a display that won't keep you up at night, but is easy to read if you wake in the dark.