5.0 out of 5 stars So good I bought another one
I bought this to expand my working space. Standard Delivery cost me nothing and it arrived 4 days after purchase, the day after it dispatched.

It was well packaged in polystyrene with the screen and all front facing black plastic covered to prevent scratches.
The screen has HDMI, DVI and DVI sub.
Provided was the usual DVI-Sub cable.
Plugged it...
Published 21 months ago by Alexander Watt

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing
Published 3 months ago by Jean Theuma

5.0 out of 5 stars So good I bought another one, 19 Nov 2012

The screen has HDMI, DVI and DVI sub.
Provided was the usual DVI-Sub cable.
Plugged it in and turned it on, it comes with a CD which was not necessary for me but it has a user manual and quick start guide.
----------
Picture Quality is amazing.
Power consumption is light.
This screen is very bright, for close viewing I reduced the brightness to 50%.
----------
Two days after connecting it up, I bought another one.
That arrived today, just 2 days after I purchased it.

I paid 135.34 for each one.
(I did not have any problems with the price after I added to basket)

This monitor is worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Two thumbs up for this monitor!, 5 May 2013
I purchased this monitor, the Acer G246HL model,to replace an Acer model, (AL1714), of some five years vintage. I kept in the same stable as I had no trouble with the earlier monitor during those years and in any case this company has a good reputation and there seemed to be no reason to go wandering off down other paths. In any case monitors of this quality,from whatever manufacturer,tend to have similar specification in a given price range, and are generally much as much and differ only in detail. My monitor replacement is the first stage of a complete revamp from my (now Neanderthal) Medion desktop of eight years service to an up to date W8 desktop setup.
This new monitor installed easily. The stand (which has a small 5degree tilt adjustment) is quickly clipped together and looks very smart. Then it was just a matter of plugging in the power cord and the (15 pin)VGA cable (I used the one already employed for the earlier monitor it being already installed in the back of the desktop). Can't say the picture, which appeared almost instantly on switch on, is of any noticeable improvement as my other Acer screen,is an excellent performer and has not suffered any degradation over the years. The new screen is 16.9 against a 4.3 ratio and at 24inch is clearly much more striking to look at, Sharp and bright with good colour saturation. A superb picture is displayed. Very pleased indeed.
Would have liked the `quick guide' manual to have been a bit more forthcoming, especially for a more precise function of the `secret' screen adjustment/OSD buttons hiding beneath the lower right hand screen bezel! A nice blue 'power on' light which reverts to amber at 'standby' is visible however. But no matter, I am sure things will pan out okay in that area. In fact with no adjustment of these buttons at all by me so far, they stay untouched, and the display remains at factory settings and looks just fine. The accompanying CD disk does contain a full manual and is more comprehensive). Its worth mentioning by the way (although I have not spotted a reference in the manual), that this monitor is fitted on the rear casing with the standard 10cm Vesa bolt holes, allowing fitment to a wall bracket. Useful if space is a bit restricted on ones work desk.
Amazon delivered by - moreorless - return of post from ordering, and the box and contents was very well packed and and all vunerable parts suitably protected.
This Acer model has been extensively reviewed and generally well received, so I am confident of a number of year's good service. I can happily recommend this monitor to prospective buyers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Monitor for Gaming and HD movies, 6 Mar 2013
I got this monitor for a gaming PC I built. Great contrast ratio and refresh rate so very little blurring with fast moving objects on screen. The screen brightness lights up my room better than my desk lamp but isn't blinding, this is great when I'm watching movies to get an (almost) cinema feeling. First time I've ever seen 1080progressive and I'm still in awe of how beautiful everything looks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value, minor faults, 12 Mar 2014
For the price, it deserves a minimum of 4 stars.

The issues I have with the screen are completely avoidable - I'm talking to you, Acer.

First, the power on time is a good ten seconds. The Acer logo appears, wait... then the Energy Saving logo appears, wait. Screen on. From standby it's quick to turn on so there's no need for the lengthy start up from Off... combine Acer and Power Saving into one if you really need to throw your branding at us Acer but please note that doing so, when the Acer logo is fixed to the lower bevel, doesn't do your branding any good.

Second issue is the On/Off button which hangs below the bottom right corner of the screen. It's nice and big, which is good, plus it's transparent and so lights up yellow or blue depending on the mode (Standby or On). In design terms, it wins, but it doesn't work reliably. By this I don't mean it refuses to turn off, or on, I simply mean that it may take two strikes to do so. In technical terms, that big button is sitting below a very small electronic connector. By hitting the power button off-centre, you're able to 'click it' and yet not affect the underlying electronic switch.

As I said, small complaints, avoidable ones that stop a decent screen from getting the 5 stars it otherwise deserves.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing, 12 May 2014
After reading glowing reviews, we were very disappointed. We wanted a good all-rounder mainly for home office use.The screen back-light was uneven even when calibrated and, after using it for half an hour, I got a headache. It was too bright straight out of the box and even after trying to set it, it was never satisfactory. The viewing angle was limited, although the manufacturer claims it to be 178 degs. From the side, everything looks yellow!The monitor had a very flimsy build quality and cheap buttons.

We were so unhappy that we returned it in favour of a AOC monitor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic cheap monitor, 3 Jan 2014
I got these to replace some very bad LG 24EN33V 23.6 inch Widescreen Full HD LCD Monitor which i'd sent back

I bought two of these so i could have a 3 monitor setup (eyefinity for gaming)

For a cheap monitor these are fantastic, colour reproduction is good, blacks actually show black, and with a little tweaking in setup you can achieve some nice vivid colours.
Viewing angle is as advertised around 160 degrees horizontally, but vertically it is a bit less around 100 degrees before you start to see negative imagary, but this shouldn't be a problem or even noticeable for most.

The base is quite sturdy even though it doesn't look it, and you can tilt the monitor forward and back (unlike what other reviewers have said)

Nice selection of inputs, dsub, dvi and hdmi catered for.
Note: if using hdmi and the picture doesn't fill the screen, within your graphics card software there may be an overscan option, you will need to select that.

And finally a comment on the operational buttons on the underside. They are self explanatory, big one is power on/off (which lights up blue) and all the others even though they are not labelled are for the adjustments, the arrows in the OSD correspond to what to press for added features/adjustments.

Hope this review will help out with your decisions, and clear up some bad information others have given.

4.0 out of 5 stars Incredible display!, 25 July 2014
This monitor is literally incredible! The picture quality is awesome in HDMI, its so sharp and crisp.
In my opinion, 24" screen is really big for a monitor, however its so good having the extra size when your doing something like Photoshop or editing a video!
There's only 2 downsides, one is that there's only one HDMI, this can be annoying for those wanting to use this for multiple items (e.g consoles, computer etc)
This can be easily resolved with a HDMI splitter however.
The other downside was that there's no speakers and no where to plug in any speakers, so you'll either have to rely on your device has a audio jack/toslink port, or you get a hdmi cable that has a audio jack coming out on 1 end.
Delivery was terrible, thanks to Yodel, however I won't down the monitor rating on delivery.
Overall an amazing monitor if your on a tight budget, i really recommend it to anyone! The only thing stopping it getting 5 stars would be the audio dilemma!

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 21 Mar 2014
I purchased this Acer screen to replace a Samsung UE22D5003 22-inch LED TV/Monitor which I'd been using on my computer for the last 9 months. Both screens are full HD (1920x1080p).

I use my computer for both work, gaming, and also for watching TV (with Sky hooked up to it). I run my own business and work online, so don't hold it against me when I say that I'm sat in front of my screen for around 14hrs/day, 7 days/week.

With so much time spent in front of a screen, it is absolutely VITAL to find the perfect monitor. Eye-strain and headaches are both regular occurrences that I've learned to put up with, but since the introduction of this Acer screen to my technology arsenal both of which seem to have been reduced considerably. I've put this down to the clarity that the Acer offers:

- The extra 2" screen size really does make so much difference - 24" is the PERFECT size. 22" was a little on the small side, and whilst I did consider purchasing the 27" version I'm glad I stuck to 24" - any bigger would simply be too much.
- Everything seems so clear compared to the Samsung model. Text is sharper (but not too sharp that it seems pixelated)... the colours are also a lot clearer, and whites/light greys are now easily told apart.

I am a web designer/developer so clarity is extremely important to me. Since I started using the Acer I can't believe some of the finer details that I must have been missing with the Samsung.

There are a few preset display options: Eco, Movie, Standard, Graphics, and User. The latter allows you to adjust everything manually by yourself but in honesty the presets will be enough for most people (even someone as fussy as me!).

Whilst coding, general web surfing, or word-processing I use the 'eco' preset, which basically dims the screen down and gives your eyes a bit of a rest. Everything still remains very clear though. In fact the Eco mode probably matches that of the Samsung when in full effect!
Whilst gaming or designing, I have the screen display set to 'Graphics', which again is a default preset. With this enabled everything becomes very clear. Colours easily told apart, clarity.. I only play COD MW3 and since I started using this screen I cannot believe the detail that I now see in-game.

Pricing is fantastic...
The Samsung cost me 160 when new (currently 140). I paid 122 for the Acer, and whilst the Acer lacks Freeview (unlike the before-mentioned Samsung model), the Acer is of course labelled 'a Monitor' rather than a 'TV/Monitor', so is to be expected.

Now for the 'bad points' (hence why I haven't awarded the Acer 5 stars):

1. There is no remote control. Since I use this for watching Sky as well as a computer screen, I'm gutted about this.
2. There are no visible button labels. The buttons for setting up the screen are located on the underside of the monitor, so you have to 'feel' for them, and even when you find them it's like Russian roulette - they are not labelled in any way whatsoever (neither on the front of the screen or even underneath). You have to 'feel around' for the buttons and just press them to see what they do. Using the menu takes some getting used to but after it's set to how you like it, how often will you need to use the buttons anyway?
3. There is only 1 HDMI socket - 2 would have been nice! There are DVI and VGA sockets however, so you can buy a converter and use one of those if like me you want to plug in your Sky box or even a console.

Now for the good points:

1. Despite what some other reviewers say, this screen DOES have a tilt function. It's just a bit stiff and I can understand why some people think there is no tilt function. Trust me, it's there - and the fact that it's stiff is a GOOD THING! If it wasn't so stiff it would feel cheap and flimsy.
2. The stand is very sturdy - it doesn't wobble even if you knock your desk.
3. It looks good. OK given my home/office setup I would have LOVED it if this was available in white, however it's still a very stylish screen.
4. The screen itself is 'matt', which hugely reduces glare from the sun.
5. The power button is a blue neon-type button. Being 'lit' makes it easy to find the button in the dark so you can power the screen off.
6. The picture quality is phenomenal. You will not find better unless you pay upwards of 240 (I done a lot of shopping around prior to purchasing!)
7. Its size is perfect - not too big, not too small.
8. This screen has a 2MS refresh rate compared to the Samsung (and most other screens in this price range)'s 5MS refresh rate. Whilst in honesty this doesn't seem noticeable to the human eye, in my quest to find the best screen available for my money it was made clear that this should be one of the things to look for.

Overall this is a very good screen and being the first Acer product I've ever purchased, I am extremely impressed with the brand. I cannot recommend this product highly enough and in actual fact once I've upgraded my computer I shall be buying another TWO of these screens so I can run a 3-screen setup for gaming.

5.0 out of 5 stars great picture, loads of screen estate, 22 July 2014
Lovely monitor, great picture, loads of screen estate, no dead pixels, great price, swift delivery. Wish I'd realised there was no 3.5mm audio out on it, unlike my older LG 21" monitor, but not a biggie as I've got both hooked up to the MacMini. Worth bearing in mind if you want multiple devices attached to it sharing a connection to an amp/ speakers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good monitor for the price, 10 Aug 2013
M. Storey (Toronto/London) - See all my reviews
I looked at a lot of monitors in this price range and decided on this one. The picture is great and I have no problems with it wobbling on the stand as other reviews here have mentioned. Colour accuracy is good for a monitor of this type. Compared to my main, calibrated IPS monitor the colours are a little warmer but otherwise accurate. I have it plugged into my PC as a second monitor (DVI) and my PS3 (HDMI) at the same time and there are no issues with switching source through the monitor's menu. I remember someone mentioning in another review that you could not do this without shutting the monitor down, but that reviewer's monitor may have been faulty or they have fixed a bug since.

The only negative with this monitor, and really any in this price range, is that it exhibits ghosting. This is most obvious when scrolling a high contrast (black text on white background) web page. Most of the time I don't notice it but when I do it's a little annoying. It's not something I notice in circumstances with less contrast. I've never noticed it while gaming for example, but I know that people have different sensitivities to these effects so your mileage may vary.

Overall a solid performer and good value, especially at the current price of 110. Recommended.