4.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Good
I saw this film as part of the Glasgow Film Festival at FrightFest, I had already been to see four films that day and was pretty worn out. It was midnight and I had one film left to go and see - Livid. I had no idea what I was to expect or what it was about but I decided seeing as I'd already paid for the ticket, I may as well go and see it.

I'm so glad I...
Published 23 months ago by Ben

3.0 out of 5 stars Livid - Good yet flawed.
Published 16 months ago by Puzzle box

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars no voices, 19 Mar 2014
This review is from: Livid (Amazon Instant Video)
film looks great and i know its subtitled so maybe you dont need the sound but all you can hear is the background noise

3.0 out of 5 stars Livid - Good yet flawed., 18 Feb 2013
This review is from: Livid [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Inside was easily one of the best horror movies of the last decade. It was brutal, uncompromising and had a wicked story. 4 years later the directing duo has finally unleashed their next project and what we get is a disappointing and average haunted house movie. Lucy is a traveling in-house caregiver in training. It's her first day on the job and one of the patients, Ms. Jessel is a 100+ yr old lady that's virtually a vegetable. She has a large creepy looking mansion which is supposedly housing an undisclosed treasure. That same night, she and her boyfriend William, and his brother Ben, break into the house looking for the hidden treasure. They eventually do find the treasure, along with a whole lot of supernatural madness.

The storyline which is like a twisted supernatural version of The People Under The Stairs was actually pretty cool. The house itself was really nice and had an awesome gothic look and the setting had the makings of an awesome ghost movie. Unfortunately the movie was severely flawed. First off I don't mind a slow burn, but the movie took forever to get to the house and for all the weird supernatural stuff to happen. If it was character development I wouldn't mind but all we get to learn about the main lead is that she has two different colored eyes, and the other two guys we learn virtually nothing about except that one of them is a fisherman.

For a near perfect setting it wasn't that scary. I'm not sure if it was the musical cues or the way it was shot, but the vibe of the movie wasn't nearly creepy enough. Take for the example the first death of the movie was kind of brutal in theory but the way it looked was bland and soulless. Very little of the movie was as intense as it should have been. The tension just wasn't there. Alexandre Bustillo and Julien Maury's brutal gore-shocker "Inside" is IMO one of the greatest and cruelest horror movies ever made, however the directors second outing "Livide" is a mess, but an enjoyable mess and it was beautifully shot.

Parts of the story don't make sense, certain scenes are quite confusing and the ending is weird - nevertheless, it's not as bad as some of these other reviewers are saying. The camera work and cinematography are fantastic, the brooding soundtrack is terrifically composed, and the editing is simply excellent although the characters weren't developed well, the female lead was a really good actress.

Presented in an aspect ratio of 2.35:1, encoded with MPEG-4 AVC and granted a 1080p transfer, Alexandre Bustillo and Julien Maury's Livid arrives on Blu-ray courtesy of Studio Canal. Despite the fact that large parts of the film are very dark, detail and clarity are excellent. There are two audio tracks on this Blu-ray disc: French DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and French LPCM 2.0. For the record, Studio Canal have provided imposed English subtitles for the main feature. They split the image frame and the black bar below it and the lossless 5.1 track is excellent. As for the extra features, we have a 20 minute behind the scenes, interview with cast and crew and a trailer. Livid draws you into its horror and even though it is a little uneven, it is still a film worth watching for fans of French horror films, just don't expect it to be like Inside.

1.0 out of 5 stars Amazon Prime version lacks language track!, 8 Mar 2014
This review is from: Livid (Amazon Instant Video)
Yes, you read correctly. The Amazon streaming version of the film lacks a language track of any kind, meaning you are presented with a film where everyone is apparently mute! The music and sound effects for the film are present though. Even watching the film with subtitles doesn't make up for the lack of audio for the dialogue. You still need to hear the voices to get a sense of the emotions of the actors in any given scene.

4.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Good, 30 July 2012
Ben (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Livid [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)

I'm so glad I did.

This film starts off with an interesting plot and just gets better. Alexandre Bustillo and Julien Maury have done it again with Livid. "Inside" was a breath-taking start to their careers and this is another good step forward. It is a strange and dark film with an ending that is a little on the wierd side but that's what I find so compelling about it.

The tension and visuals created in this film are out of this world, I loved every minute of it and it stayed with me for days after seeing it.

Keep an open mind, turn out the lights and turn up the volume.
Immerse yourself in Livid and you will not be disappointed.

4/5 stars, a star is deducted for the ultimately confusing and out of the blue ending but I still think it is one of the best horror films I have seen.

2.0 out of 5 stars Odd - no language track, 27 Mar 2014
This review is from: Livid [DVD] (DVD)
Not sure if the original film is without a language track. Certainly made for an unusual film, I assumed something was wrong with the sound.. perhaps. Still, it might be a very good film but I gave up after about 10 minutes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hauntingly Beautiful French Horror, 20 Aug 2012
Mr. Robert A. Davies (Wrexham UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Livid [DVD] (DVD)
Very different from Alexandre Bustillos' 2007 horror debut 'Inside'(no bloody car crashes in this one), Livid is much more laid-back giallo type horror, with touches of Argento, and maybe a little Bava thrown in for good measure.
Care-worker Lucie discovers that one of her elderly patients may have a stash of treasure hidden in her large mansion.She reluctantly accompanies her ex-con boyfriend and her brother as they break in one night to see if the stash is really there.
Of course all is not what it seems and the encounters that follow are beautifully horrific and eerily evocative.
Livid is,despite the touches of gore,pleasing on the eye and lovingly photographed (particularly the flash-back scenes).
As far as the plot is concerned,this is one of those films where the less you know the more you will get out of it.
The only negative thing was the conclusion-I found it a little confusing and unsatisfying.
Despite it's ending, this is a superior psycological movie and I would recommend it to any serious fan of Euro-horror.

[...]

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 22 Jun 2014
This review is from: Livid (DVD)
A slow burning French Horror that comes together quite well before the end! Its junmy and creepy and well made.

3.0 out of 5 stars frustrated, 13 Jun 2014
This review is from: Livid (DVD)
Good story line but i cant stand subtitles and in different languages. Also i didnt see it online then it comes

1.0 out of 5 stars No sound?, 6 May 2014
C. HICKLENTON (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Livid (Amazon Instant Video)
I've tried to watch this a few times but the dialogue is muted. There is sound...everything apart from the voices. Shame.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a disappointment, 27 April 2014
This review is from: Livid [DVD] (DVD)
It is almost painful for me to give this film 3 stars, as I am such a huge fan of the directors (who brought us the absolutely outstanding "Inside", which I reviewed a while back and is easily one of the greatest horror films I have ever seen).

So, as not to be too hasty, I have gone back to this film recently to see if it had grown on me at all, but it seems each time I watch it, I notice the same problems. It's not that I'm comparing it to "Inside", as that would be unfair. You can't expect lightening to strike the same place twice and if anything, I was thrilled that they had taken an entirely different direction with this movie. The premise I thought was excellent and with the talent of the directors, seemed even more promising.

It's not the story that's the problem however, it's the execution of the story.

It all starts very well, I really love the opening shots and the score is worth mentioning also (it remains excellent throughout the film). I thought the introductory scenes with Lucy on her first day as a care worker were great as well, and even thought they carried a valuable message about the way in which we treat the elderly. The character of Deborah Jessen is excellent, mysterious and somehow threatening even though she is in a coma. Very intriguing stuff indeed. But once the story is established and the lead characters enter the house, that's where it unravels a little bit for me.

If I could summon up the film in one word, it would be "muddled". There are SO many things that happen without explanation, glimpses of things that don't even apply to the story, it gets a bit frustrating after a while. I'm fully aware that they wanted to go in a more fantastical direction with this movie, and have even said they think of Livid as "an adult fairy-tale", but a little more restraint would of been welcome in my opinion.

I appreciate that a certain degree of logic must be waivered, to allow for more creativity and imagination. In some instances, this can really work, when a director just "goes with the flow" and films an idea as soon as it's conceived, without stopping to think if it makes sense or applies to the narrative. The Japanese director Takashi Miike shoots a lot of his movies this way, with some fantastic results (check out "Ichi The Killer", which frequently blends reality with surrealism and has loads of "wtf" moments that somehow work). But I don't think it works in this film, Livid would benefit from a more focused and structured narrative in my opinion.

Too many things happen in the house, you are bombarded with so many strange things that it's hard to take anything in. There's the stuffed-animal tea party, a zombie ballerina that's been turned into a living music-box, a secret room inside a mirror, babies in jars, killer children, flashback scenes which suggest our zombie ballerina is actually a vampire robot??! Let's not forget that the house seems to be suspended mid-air in another dimension at night!!! I mean, come on, you've got to hit the brakes somewhere!! All these ideas may be cool-sounding on paper, but gradually they just overwhelm the story and everything becomes "muddled", as I said earlier.

The film can still be enjoyed on a purely visual level, as there are some gorgeous shots (I'm particularly fond of the outdoor scene where Anna's dress is stained with blood). A very distinctive and "European" style and a very liberal use of colour makes this film very pleasing on the eye (a nod to Argento's "Suspiria", which also inspired some aspects of the story as well). The performances are all bang-on (which is kind of a given with French cinema, it seems) and as I mentioned earlier, the score is sublime, being equally fantastical and creepy.

So, Livid ends up being kind of a mixed-bag for me. It does entertain and it's certainly not a bad movie by any means, but I can't help but feel that with a little more focus and restraint, this could of been every bit as good as "Inside".

Let's hope their next movie "Among The Living", marks a return to form for the horror duo (it's out sometime this year I think, you can find the trailer online).

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Livid [DVD]
Livid [DVD] by Julien Maury (DVD - 2012)
5.95