5.0 out of 5 stars Blu Ray Brilliance
Bought this player to upgrade from my Panasonic BDT 80. My system uses a InFocus projector and Mission surround sound with Yamaha receiver/amp.

Published on 14 July 2012 by Rory Hennessy

3.0 out of 5 stars Debatable quality
I have not purchased from Amazon - this is purely a review of the player.

Im hoping my 2nd replacement will work - the first played DVD's quite noisily so I returned it. The 2nd wouldn't play any DVD's at all only blu rays. Hoping for 3rd time lucky when I return it this weekend.
Aside from that the picture is excellent - best I've ever seen on a player...
Published 23 months ago by Mr. M. J. P. Pengelly

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Blu Ray Brilliance, 14 July 2012
This review is from: Panasonic DMP-BDT500EB Black Smart Network 3D Blu-ray Player (Electronics)

Better picture quality that was already very good. Even bigger improvement in the sound. Panasonic have made some tweaks and the result is a huge improvement with greater clarity and depth to the sound stage. Bass is tight and treble well controlled.

A really good player at an affordable price and compares to any £500 price bracket players.

5.0 out of 5 stars wow wow wow, 11 Jan 2013
i have a 310 and a 320 at home already but this blew away both of them hands down on picture and sound! i have consistently bought panasonics to match the TVs and the models i have listed have 2 hdmi outs one i use for direct connection to the tv and the other to my av amp.

since connecting this to my amp and watching blu rays all the lights on the amp (pioneer LX90) light up, which never happened before on previous models. one of which is HD MASTER. everything about this player is immense if you are adding it to a top end home cinema.

definatley worth a buy, you wont be disappointing and you get a proper full size remote (with touch pad and hard buttons) unlike the 320 and the fiddly touch pad.

5.0 out of 5 stars great player,poor remote but read on & be surprised, 22 Aug 2013
Yes that is correct my sony S790 has done nothing but give trouble since my purchase last november (2112)so having looked at various players I bought one of these and the picture quality even on std def dvd is stunning,for the first time the upscaler on this unit works perfectly and std def discs do look much,much better than the sony,and that if you believe all the hype was the best player in its category for 2112.
Ok so it costs a little more than the sony but hey don't we get what we pay for? The build quality of this is superb,well done panasonic (actually bought from retailer)
My only criticism is the remote,this can at times be frustrating to use,that swipe pad on this remote is awkward to say the least!
Since this purchase my sony S790 sourced from Sonyshop,West Yorkshire has now returned from the repairers and still it freezes up,Oh Dear.
Sorry for knocking Sony but their after sales service is practically non existent,and they wonder why they keep struggling with their business..

September 16TH.2113...

I HAVE TODAY RECIEVED FROM AMAZON A PANASONIC BD-79 FOR MY BEDROOM TV AND GUESS WHAT I TOOK ITS REMOTE DOWNSTAIRS AND IT ALSO WORKS MY BDT 500 .
I switched it on went thru the dvd menu and chose a a sub menu with ease,now that is good news if you struggle with this players remote.....

The dvd was a network dvd from the series "The Saint:..

5.0 out of 5 stars super machine, 21 Feb 2013
I wanted a DVD player for my bedroom but splashed out on a Blu ray that I could move to the lounge eventually and have not been disappointed. Ease of installation and use is an advantage and it looks sleek. High quality playback and it even improves the quality of dvd's

4.0 out of 5 stars Is capable of more than you think., 10 Feb 2013
I am not going into what this player can do as I would have to write a few pages and lists to do that. However, I will say it just about meets all my requirements and expectations, really good quality both structural and performance.

If you are looking for a high standard blu ray player with a lot of extra's then you won't be disappointed.

My only criticism is the configuration of the various files that can be played, the list is long and very good but for example you only play mp3 files over a DLNA network or a USB stick not the SD card which can be left in the player, it will play MKV files for example but not over a DLNA network.

One unusual but very effect item is that you can channel the sound out through a separate HDMI to your AV amp and the video direct to your TV giving a tremendous boost in quality to the sound.

If you can see around the file playback then I recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, 27 Jan 2014
C. James (Ireland) - See all my reviews
I would never have believed what a difference a top player like this would make to the picture & sound quality.
Now I trust the reviews- this is one amazing machine!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 26 Jun 2012
Bought this as an upgrade to replace already excellent Panasonic DMP-BDT210.

I'll keep this a simple review:

Pro's

By far best picture/motion quality I have seen from any player (I have auditioned many in last 2 years from £100-600 models) including DVD up-scaler
Superb build quality-sturdy and heavy
Simple to set up
Gorgeous design-clean lines (no annoying shiny cheap plastic)
Whisper quiet (believe me-this has been the most common problem with budget-midrange players with driver noise)
Superb remote-people have been critical of the touch pad remote. Maybe its because I am used to iPhone but I find remote no problem at all. Its quite responsive and intuative
Excellent wi-fi capabilities

But without doubt........the icing on the cake........is the audio. I'm honestly hearing things I have not heard before. Big, strong and super clear. The seperation is spectacular.

Con's

To be honest.......I can't think of anything!

Guaranteed future award winner. Buy with extreme confidence, you will NOT be disappointed. If you are serious about film...buy this player. I didn't expect such an increase in quality from previous model. Thank you Panasonic, you did a great job with this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars you will think you have a new T.V too, 16 May 2013
S. Roger (uk) - See all my reviews
I replaced my 2 year old totr panasonic player for this one, not that there was anything wrong with it, but I really wanted the additional features on the network side of the player... but the picture quality was so vastly improved it was literally like getting a new tv too. the reds are much more .... well! red, vivid blues whites crisper and blacks less shady. lightning fast interface and apps from the store to cover film and radio etc and auto firmware updates over the net... I would have been happy with this unit if I had paid twice the amount..

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb BueRay Performance, 28 Feb 2014
Bought on basis of HiFi reviews and many years satisfaction with Panasonic products. The picture with Life of Pi is brilliant. Smart features are very god but, for me, redundant as they are all present on my Smart Panasonic TV. Delighted to buy through Amazon at what was a 'Best Price' of <£200. So very satisfied in all respects.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very clever machine!!!!, 14 Feb 2014
This player is a real treat!. You need to make sure you spend some time setting it up first to maximize it's performance, as there are quite a few options, but it's worth it to make sure you are getting the best possible picture and sound. I have mine linked up to an Optoma 3D projector and all I can say is WOW. I can now watch 2D films in 3D, and whilst the 3D is not as good as films actually made in 3D, ie, Hugo, Avatar etc..., it's exactly the same as coversions, ie Transformers, Man of Steel etc. The difference now however is I can increase the screen size to maximum ie 2: 35 or LBX and not have to put up with a 16:9 slot!!. I watched life of Mars on it (non-blue ray, very standard reproduction) and it went from a small, grainy, non surround sound picture to a smoothed out, cinema sharpe picture with incredable depth to it. Just incredible!!!!
The sound is much improved also and you can get 5.1 surround from most DVD's (couldn't get it from my Laurel and Hardy films - but that was expecting too much!!!. It did give a nice 3D feel to them however which was interesting!!!. One of my favourite films 'Oliver', recently came out in blu ray, so I can now watch this great film in top notch quality on max size picture with added 3D!! - again a real treat!!
The build quality is very good, but personally I would like to have more info displayed on the unit as the films play. It's all very dark without this. The remote is good, although perhaps a little top heavy and wants to fall out of your hand. The touch pad is great however and you can use easily in the dark!!.These points are really splitting hairs however, and all in all this is a fantastic unit with some brilliant features. The bottom line however is what is the picture like?? - in a different league!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›