4.0 out of 5 stars Punchy sound, attractive box
Published on 25 Oct. 2012 by ziggy_fan

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great quality and sound lacking.....
I have been left rather underwhelmed by this device.

Published on 1 Nov. 2012 by Syd

4.0 out of 5 stars Punchy sound, attractive box, 25 Oct. 2012
ziggy_fan (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Philips DS3600/05 Bluetooth Docking Speaker With 30 Pin Dock Connection (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this to replace my Philips Fidelio iPad dock DS3500 which is a neat box but it doesn't have remote control. So the obvious first bonus of the newer DS3600 dock is that it has a remote, as well as a more powerful (twice the output wattage) sound output. The bass is quite punchy and the sound is room filling. The iPad slots onto the dock very nicely (I have iPad 3) and in fact it works well with all iPad types (my other half has the iPad 1 and that sits on the dock nicely too). It looks and sounds great with iPod touch too.

The main things that stop me giving it 5 stars are the following:

- the Bluetooth streaming is easy to set up but a bit stop start because the first tracks often just misses the first couple of seconds ... Strange. I don't know why that is, and can only think that the Bluetooth capability of the speakers aren't as good as the DS3500 model this had replaced.

- there are no USB and headphone cables which the Amazon listing claims they have. Ad it' not that they're missing, the instruction booklet clearly only lists the speakers, AC adapter plug and remote ad the contents of the set. I will report the misleading listing to them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with both iPhone & Android, has great sound & decent price!, 24 Oct. 2012
MyKeyReviews (Hampshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This dock from Philips has a really nice size for those who don't want to take up a lot of space, it also has a very neat look to it.

The contents also include the power adaptor to power this unit up(it doesn't have any slots to insert batteries into to make it portable), and probably one of the most stylish looking remote controls you will ever see, the remote can be used when using the dock or Bluetooth feature.

I managed to get hold of a family members iPhone to which I tested the dock, it inserted very nicely with no hassle. Upon docking I received a notification to download a special app for this speaker, however do note that it's not mandatory to download it as it works fine without.

As you would expect from most docks these days, it does indeed charge your iPhone when docked.

When it came to trying the Bluetooth feature, I was a bit anxious to whether it would work on Android phones, this is probably down to a Bluetooth device I had used in the past which would only connect to iPhone Bluetooth and the fact on the page description & product box, it mentions nothing of compatibility with Android/smartphones with Bluetooth capabilities.

Well I can assure you it does work! I used my Sony Neo V to send audio to the speaker.

Another way you can connect your audio devices to this speaker is by using an auxiliary cable and plug it into the "MP3-LINK" slot located at the back.

When it came to the sound quality, apart from it lacking in bass, which is bad for heavier rock & dub-step audiophiles, it does deliver fantastic quality when it came to music such as pop, electronica & classical etc... For the price it's currently at, I can't fault the quality.

One more thing, on the back of the speaker, there is a mini-usb (*not supplied*) slot, when your iPhone/iPod is docked, if you hook up your PC/laptop with this port, you will be able to synchronise them, handy eh? :)

To finalise this review, if you want a quality speaker that doesn't take up too much space whilst looking good, then you may be looking at the right product for you.

- I have also uploaded some pics of the product which can be viewed at the top of the page. -

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great quality and sound lacking....., 1 Nov. 2012
Syd (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been left rather underwhelmed by this device.

The first thing I noticed out of the box was a very cool looking remote. It's a shame the device isn't of the same quality. It's quite small (fair enough) but it feels very light, and the front of it is very tinny and cheap looking/feeling. The whole of the front panel where the iPod sits also acts as a big volume control button, but it means the whole panel wobbles and again make it feel cheap and poorly constructed. The actual dock where the iPod sits is on a soft spring mechanism, so will accommodate your iPod or phone no matter what sort of case you have on it, which is a nice touch and brings some much needed quality feel.

When you plug in your device, you're invited to download the Phillips app. This allows you to adjust audio settings, set alarms, view the weather etc etc. nice touch, but doesn't really add a great deal.

And now the sound. It's good, but not spectacular. It lacks depth and bass. Adequate, but not powerful or rich. To be honest was not a great improvement on a couple of £10 portable speakers I've got.

It's all round a neat package, but it just feels a bit too cheap and the sound lacks any umph. I think for the price you can get better elsewhwere.

1.0 out of 5 stars Incompatible with Iphone 5 & Ipod 7generation, 19 May 2013
I have received this product as a gift and unfortunately only after I've received it I realised that it is not compatible with my iPod (7th generation). I have found a solution -> buying an adapter that connects the Iphone old versions or old iPods to new connection. However, it did not help either. I went to the store, found the product and asked customer services guys to explain why even with the adapter it does not work.
The reason is just simple - it is simply not compatible with the software/network of new iPods/iPhones. So if you are looking for a stereo for your iPhone 5 - don't waste your money on this product. Hope this review finds relevant people and you change your mind before making the purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good looking and good sound, 24 July 2014
M. Lovell - See all my reviews
I am not at all technical but I found this easy to use. The sound quality is excellent, my lounge/dinning room is 34 ft x 13ft and the sound is easily enough to not get lost in any part of the room. I use it with my iphone4 which has 30 pin connector and also with my ipad 4 but I bought a lightening adaptor in order to use the ipad4 this is due to Apple changing from the 30 pin connection to what they call lightening connection. However, having said that I was able to connect the ipad via blue tooth. I only bought the adaptor because as I said earlier I am not very technical and it was far easier (for me) to use an adaptor. I also do not have to remove my phone from it's cover in order to connect it to the docking station because the connector on the docking station hinges forward slightly to accommodate it. I would recommend this product to anyone who is looking for a good quality of sound and ease of use at a good price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with unit., 9 Jan. 2014
It was a Christmas present for my husband and he is delighted with it. Very neat in size but with very good and clear sound.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good to a point., 31 Dec. 2013
I have only had this item for a couple of weeks, it seems to work very well once I had got it paired with my iPhone. my only misgiving is the scarcity of any setting up info, you have to download it from the web site.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound, 7 Feb. 2013
Bought this because it had Bluetooth. It was easy to set up and has a great sound.

It would have been better if it was also battery operated like the cheaper version (without Bluetooth)

Could do with a carrying handle

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought on a warehouse deal, 16 Mar. 2013
Bought on a warehouse deal at a great price. The item was missing the outer 'pretty' packaging but as far as I can see beyond that it is in brand new and unused condition.

Using it in the kitchen which is pretty big (7m x 3m with high ceilings) and it is easily powerful enough to fill the room nicely even with the washing machine and extractor on. You would need more grunt for a party, but for general familiy listening this is great. The bluetooth feature is much better than I was expecting it to be - it's actually really good! I have two devices paired and it will always perfer to connect to the last one used if it is in range which isn't always what I want but hey ho.

Internet radio is very good too - I can listen to almost every Slovak radio station I could ever dream of.

Really, really pleased with this purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars In general quite good, looks nice, 18 Sept. 2014
In general quite good, looks nice. Main disappointment it comes with only about 1 metre cable which is very frustrating as would like more freedom to put other places rather than next to a plug. Sound is quite good but does vibrate when on full which is not that loud. Remote is a bit hit and miss sometimes works other times have to press it lots of times as if battery running out yet it is new? There are no controls on the unit possibly could benefit from a bass or surround sound feature. Did consider sending back but after having a couple of weeks feeling happier with it and a good price.