5.0 out of 5 stars love L.P
Published on 5 July 2012 by Dw Myers

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but too short
I've been a fan of Linkin Park since Hybrid Theory, but I'll keep this review short.

Published on 15 July 2012 by Chris P.

5.0 out of 5 stars love L.P, 5 July 2012
Dw Myers "godsmack rule" (sunny england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Living Things (Audio CD)
I just love the fact that Linkin Park have got the guts to try all these different sounds and hence not go 'stale'. I'm not one of those people who compare a new album to the last album, the second album or whatever. I believe every piece of work should be taken and enjoyed on it's own merit and it's own sound.In other words judge it for what it is and not what it's not. No it's not Meteora or Hybrid Theory or Thousand Suns, it's Linkin Park doing what they do best and exploring and experimenting and I love the fact they can still suprise me. I for one love every album they've ever done but for different reasons and different moods with each one. Let's face it if they all sounded the same we'd be moaning they playing on past glories and living in the past etc etc. Hope that doesn't sound like the ramblings of a madman but there you go, buy it and just imagine it's the first time you've ever heard them, I love it, hope you do to :)

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a brilliant album, don't let poor reviews put you off, 3 July 2012
This review is from: Living Things (Audio CD)
As most other Linkin Park fans were, I was extremely disappointed with their last effort A Thousand Suns. There were so many tracks on there that just didn't work for me, a lot of it was made up of noises and different sounds. There was 1, maybe 2 decent songs at best. It just wasn't Linkin Park, and I think the band admitted that they took a risk with it. In my opinion they've realised their mistake and tried to rectify it here.

Let me just say that if you were put off by that album, don't let it prevent you getting this one. This is a HUGE improvement. The best two things about it are that some familiar features from the old albums have returned in a lot of the tracks here- Mike's rapping and the heavy baslines that made Hybrid Theory and Meteroa so iconic. The first 6 tracks almost sound like they could be from those two albums, the only difference being a slightly more elecctronic hint to them. Their single Burn It Down is not bad, but I wouldn't say it's the best on there. I'll Be Gone and Powerless have 'single' written all over them for the future. I love the rapping in Lost in the Echo and Burn it Down too.

Linkin Park will probably never return to the style of their original album, but this is pretty damn close. It's not perfect- some of the tail end of the album is a bit average. Overall though it really is an excellent album, much much better than a Thousand Suns which will hopefully just turn out to be a blip in their progression. If anyone thought Linkin Park had gone for good, well, they're back!

5.0 out of 5 stars Linkin Park Reloaded, 25 Jun 2012
It's about time.

In the beginning there was Hybrid Theory and Meteora.
Then along came Minutes to Midnight, which I shall ever regard as the black sheep of the LP collection.
Three years later came A Thousand Suns, an album which I regard as art, and an amazing piece of work.
Now appears Living Things.

Combining the efforts of all four albums together, Living Things is Linkin Park "rebooted" for a new decade. This isn't another Hybrid Theory, nor is Minutes Part II or A Thousand Suns Part II. This is a unique body of work which some well-produced songs with matured-developed lyrics (remember, these guys are not young anymore!) For any die hard fans still crying and moaning about the evolution of this band, it's time to open your ears and remember the amazing musicianship this band has. Mike's rap, Chester's screams and melodic singing, Mr Hahn's electronic and turntable work, Brad and Phoenix's guitar and bass lines, Rob Bourdon's drumming mixed with the tribal sounds from ATS. It all comes together in an amazing package. If anyone hasn't listen to this yet, and wants to know what it sounds like; I'll say it kind of sounds like the bands Reanimation album from a decade ago, how everything was mixed, trashed and repackaged into a fun package of suns. But this goes deeper than that.

What are you waiting for!? Go buy this album now!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but too short, 15 July 2012
This review is from: Living Things (Audio CD)

This is the first album of theirs I've enjoyed for quite a few years - it's different but I like it. The best tracks in my opinion are Burn It Down and Castle of Glass. It's an enjoyable listen, but doesn't hit the same mark as Meteora or Hybrid Theory. (If you're starting out with Linkin Park, listen to those two first!)

Normally I'd give it four stars, perhaps, and leave it there - I like it, so why not? As the title of my review gives away, this album is not exactly a long, profound musical experience. At only 37 minutes, I've come to expect more for my money. I'm not saying it should match some great prog albums which fill a CD at 75 minutes in length, but come on. 37 minutes - half a CD! - is just a bit cheeky.

In short, is this worth a listen? Yes. Is it worth a tenner? Absolutely not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back with a vengence, 13 July 2012
This review is from: Living Things (Audio CD)
"Meteora" is my favorite album by far and thought that they had lost direction after that apart from a couple of outstanding single track releases. "Living Things" has brought back my love for their music. Maybe still not as brilliant as Meteora but pretty damn close. Any Linkin Park fan will not be disapointed to have this album in their collection. A recommended buy, just get it, turn up the volume and enjoy...

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 12 July 2012
CJ (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Living Things (Audio CD)
Linkin Park's latest studio album sees something of a return to their roots following the divisive A Thousand Suns. Their last album still has an influence over the sound of some of the tracks here, but generally Living Things is more conventional Linkin Park than before.

The single release Burn It Down is arguably the song closest to the mainstream, and represents a sound similar to that featured on Minutes to Midnight and, at a push, Meteora. If you are hoping for a new Hybrid Theory (and a lot of fans are) then I don't think this album is quite there. But for me, that's not a huge problem as Linkin Park have grown and changed since then. I enjoyed much of A Thousand Suns, but thankfully Living Things is more chilled out and just a really good listen.

Lost In The Echo leads the way and is surely a future single release, and the album is rounded off by Powerless, a decent ballad. In between there is a lot of familiar stuff, with Victimized thrown in as a nice bit of angry rock to keep you on your toes. The overall feel is a little more electronic and I miss the more epic feel of the band's guitars and orchestral kicks in previous releases. But they are still great at what they do and Living Things is a great album for fans and anyone new to Linkin Park; it's a good starting point.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent growth from a very classy band, 10 July 2012
This review is from: Living Things (Audio CD)
Linkin Park have judged this one superbly, I think. It's a continuation of Thousand Suns musical development, but better, without any risk of losing the edge of their own trademark rock/rap vibe.

Linkin Park have figured out how to fuse guitars and electronica in yet another new way on this album. The use of drums and synths and metal riffs on Living Things doesn't sound like they bought a copy of the NIN recipe book although the depth of sound design here is comparably interesting. It doesn't sound like Moby joined Papa Roach either and it doesn't sound like Meteora simply updated with the presets you'd find in this season's best selling software synth.

What it sounds like is new and good, a blended and righteous thing in harmony with its own self. These are melodic and dynamic songs with tons of class and power. No-one else out there is doing this half as well. I hope Linkin Park stick to their musical guns and continue exercising their special power of innovation with rock/electronica because this album is all ten kinds of excellent. It breaks new ground with polished style and that is what I loved Linkin Park for in the first place.

5.0 out of 5 stars LP 4EVA!!, 8 July 2012
Leigh RybakRajewski (london UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Living Things (Audio CD)
I love LP, and was excited when I heard about this. Now that I have it, I can't stop listening to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Little words needed, a solid album., 30 Jun 2012
M. T. Carr (england,uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Living Things (Audio CD)
As other people have said- this is a great album. If I'm honest I think it's better than what I was expecting, after hearing 'Burn it down' and 'Lies Greed Misery' I thought they were good songs and was under the assumption that this would be a GOOD album, one that is enjoyable yet not the best I've ever heard. Then it arrived, and I heard the first few tracks, namely 'Lost in the echo' and was blown away. It had a heavyness to it that had been lacking on A Thousand Suns. Once I listened to the whole album I listened to it again, quite a few times. It is that good.

I guess the best way to describe Living Things is to imagine that it is an amalgamation of Linkin Park's previous album, everything they've done can be heard somewhere on each of these 12 songs. 'Lies Greed Misery' is a prime example: it has the electronic drive that can be found on 'Wretches and Kings' and 'When They Come For Me' off A Thousand Suns, yet its structure is similar to that of Hybrid Theory or Meteora: rapped lyrics on the verses by Mike, and then aggressive vocals from Chester on the chorus with Chester screaming on the outro. That too is another point, Chester's aggressive vocals are more present on Living Things yet there is an equal amount of him "properly" singing too. Guitars are also more present, 'Victimized' being a glaringly obvious example.

Also, while on A Thousand Suns I found the slower, more emotive songs to eventually be quite boring (I struggle now to listen to 'Iridescent') on Living Things the more emotive songs are some of my favourites on this album, in my opinion 'Powerless' is probably on of their best songs.

To sum up, I've contradicted to what I put as the title but this album has so much to talk about because there is so much on offer, there is a song here for any Linkin Park fan: there are heavy songs, emotive songs, Chester screaming, Chester singing, Mike rapping. The list could go on for much longer, it is simply a great album, I don't even know how it could improved. Buy this album, listen to the samples if you want, but you will not regret it - I promise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 29 Jun 2012
This review is from: Living Things (Audio CD)
I have been a fan of linkin park ever since hybrid theory, and i can truly say that this album should be the one to define my generation (that of a 15 year old teen). Absolutely brilliant! I predict a mega hit ;)

Living Things
Living Things by Linkin Park (Audio CD - 2012)