5.0 out of 5 stars Somebody I'd Like to Know...
I've admired David Mitchell's TV work for a long time - much preferring his panel shows, with their lightning fast wit and theatre-sports improvisation to the scripted stuff like Peepshow or the sketch shows. "Would I Lie To You?" is, I think, one of the most delightful shows to screen on British TV in a long long time, just because of the its unpredictability. In fact,...
Published on 5 Nov. 2012 by peekayinhk

3.0 out of 5 stars Warm, light and highly readable
As with all celebrity autobiographies, if you're a fan of the celebrity, there's a high probability that you'll enjoy the book. If not, you're unlikely to read it anyway. That's a point that's made often, but that probably bears repeating.

The structure of this book is slightly novel, in that it follows Mitchell on a walk around London, with reminisces and...
Published on 22 Nov. 2012 by Dr. Simon Howard

‹ Previous | 118 19 2027 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars David Mitchell: Back Story, 22 Dec. 2014
This review is from: David Mitchell: Back Story (Kindle Edition)
Very interesting and readable book written from a slightly unusual angle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Touching and funny, 18 Dec. 2012
I cannot explain how much I love this book. I travel a lot for work so I bought the audio version to listen to in the car. Mitchell reads it himself which adds another personal layer to the story.

This book is laugh out loud funny, which is more than I expected from the author. But also, unexpectedly, it made me cry (see the penultimate chapter). David is witty, a smart arse and self deprecating. But he is also beautifully human in a way I had not expected.

A perfect ten.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 19 Dec. 2014
This review is from: David Mitchell: Back Story (Kindle Edition)
very well written, an insight into the world of mitchell

2.0 out of 5 stars Makes you dislike him!, 3 Feb. 2013
This review is from: David Mitchell: Back Story (Kindle Edition)
I was a fan of David Mitchell, but now all I can see is his flaws and weak, snobbish personality when he's on tv now. I expected something with more depth or humour but it just seemed to be an apology or a catharsis with no apparent attempt to please the reader. He didn't have a very interesting life. The best part was at the end when he wrote warmly about love.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's like having David Mitchell actually in your head!, 3 April 2014
This review is from: David Mitchell: Back Story (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed it. Very enlightening and an easy read. He comes across as a thoroughly nice, intelligent guy who I'd love to meet.

3.0 out of 5 stars Back Story - Davis Mitchell, 8 July 2013
This review is from: David Mitchell: Back Story (Kindle Edition)
A new author to me although I was aware of him through the T.V. I feel that the book is without structure and wanders from subject to subject in an incoherent manner. Too many comments in parentheses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and funny, 27 Mar. 2013
This review is from: David Mitchell: Back Story (Kindle Edition)
I was given this as a birthday present (or strictly a token to buy it for my Kindle). I very much enjoyed it. You can hear David Mitchell's voice clearly. It made me laugh out loud (I don't often laugh at "funny" books) in places - though it's not funny all the way. Although I read quite a few biographies I don't usually find them quite such an "unputdownable" read as this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bloody funny, 17 Mar. 2013
Dan (Hants, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: David Mitchell: Back Story (Kindle Edition)
If you know anything of David and his work, then you'll know what to expect here pretty much, with a bit more sentimentality thrown in. It's set up as a literal and metaphorical trip through London, and it works well as we accompany David through a memorable journey.
I would really like David to write some fiction stories, I think they would work very well.

3.0 out of 5 stars Modest or Arrogant?, 14 Jan. 2013
This review is from: David Mitchell: Back Story (Kindle Edition)
I am still reading this and I can't quite decide if he is modest and naive, or clever and conceited . Interesting read, and fairly well written, pity about all the swear words and lewd language. Seems like the little boy saying 'Look, I know these words now, I need to tell you how I can use them, and what I have done.' Not very mature really, or perhaps I'm not his target audience. Far too old!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for a giggle., 31 Dec. 2012
This review is from: David Mitchell: Back Story (Kindle Edition)
Very witty and observational. An enjoyable read. Will never look at a F.R.P. in the same way again! Provided some laugh out moments and surprisingly moving moments too.

‹ Previous | 118 19 2027 | Next ›