5.0 out of 5 stars Got my 11 year old to read a book!
Published on 14 Oct 2012 by Mrs. Sal King

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok....
It was a good book but it was to sad and didnt relly have a hsppy ending spol
Gh fi
Published 10 months ago by Sandy

5.0 out of 5 stars Got my 11 year old to read a book!, 14 Oct 2012
This review is from: A Medal for Leroy (Hardcover)
Personally, I find Morpurgo's style quite irritating but I bought this one as the person it is inspired by- Walter Tull - is one of my heroes. It's nice to see awareness of his life being raised in what will be a bestseller for Morpurgo. I think this one will appear as a school reader in the not too distant future because it deals with an issue not tackeld in other war books for children . It is simpler than War Horse and Private Peaceful, tells an important story , and got my reluctant (but fluent) 11 year old boy reading and is now being read by my avid reader 8 year old. The older one gobbled this up in two sittings and declared it 'the best book he's read', which is saying something if it deposes Wimpy Kid!! You also still don't come across many children's book where the central character is not white and middle class. This may seem a bit preachy to an adult reader but my son appreciated the issues and it raises questions of racism in an accessible way. Morpurgo's afterword is very interesting, explaining who Walter Tull was - and telling of other black soldiers in other conflicts. The only quibble... Tull played for Spurs , and then Northampton (It's one of the reasons I bought the book for my Spurs fan sons). Why on earth would an author change that to Arsenal? That's almost insulting!This book has some nice drawings and large print. I would say it could be read by children from 8 (although there is some lovey dovey stuff and a pregnancy) to 12.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspired by a real-life war hero, 17 Oct 2012
C. Colley (Lincs) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: A Medal for Leroy (Hardcover)
I've enjoyed a lot of books by this author and some of my favourite Michael Morpurgo books contain stories about wartime. This story is another poignant read with a wartime theme.
The novel is inspired by the life of Walter Tull. Tull was the first black officer to serve in the British Army in the First World War and recommended for the Military Cross for his bravery, but he never received one.
The fictional story follows young boy, Michael. Michael knows that his father died in the Second World War, but not much else. With the help of Aunty Snowdrop, the story reveals how Michael discovers the truth about his family and who he really is.
The story is scattered with illustrations by Michael Foreman. All the drawings are lovely and everyone will love the drawings of Jasper the Jack Russell.
This is a lovely book for children to read at home, or in the classroom. I'm an adult fan of MM's books and can't resist a new release.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 20 Oct 2012
This review is from: A Medal for Leroy (Hardcover)
I downloaded the kindle sample of this book and had started reading when i spotted the book in my local library. I read it all in one go. It is a very touching, moving story based on the life of Walter Tull, a fine soldier and footballer.It was my first Morpurgo book and will not be the last.Although aimed at children there is much here for adults.Will definitley be recommending to friends and fellow readers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Morpurgo at his best?, 12 Aug 2014
This review is from: A Medal for Leroy (Paperback)
As an adult into his eighth decade, I suppose I have no right to review this book. Morpurgo has written so many good books for young people and it would seem from the many reviews by young people that they enjoyed this one as much as many others. So clearly he has not lost his touch.

I thought the idea of the book was excellent. Anything that can spark the interest of the young in important historical events must be worthwhile. And the idea of a medal, which like so many others may otherwise lay forgotten in a draw, bringing to life the person who was awarded it, has great appeal. As appealing as Morpurgo's other great children's book on a war theme, War Horse, which has brought entertainment and informed comment to so many in its book, stage and film formats.

But for me, this one did not quite come off. In my eyes, the plot became a little complex, or rather rambling at times, detracting from the central theme. The pace faltered and I wondered if this might put off a number of young readers. But who am I to say? The older I get, the more I enjoy reading and anything which encourages the kids to read, and read again, must be good. Michael Morpurgo - keep going.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant book by Michael Morpurgo, would recommend reading., 31 Oct 2012
Jacky (New Romney, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Medal for Leroy (Kindle Edition)
What a wonderful book, I Couldn't put the book down. Historically interesting too and accurate! Michael Morpurgo has done it again! Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars A medal for leroy, 27 Nov 2012
This review is from: A Medal for Leroy (Hardcover)
I bought the book for my eleven year old daughter she said it was the best book she has read

5.0 out of 5 stars Happiness, sadness, mystery and a love story!, 7 May 2013
This review is from: A Medal for Leroy (Kindle Edition)
If your looking for a book than this book is for you.
I thoroughly enjoyed it. I really recommend it...

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 2 Dec 2012
This review is from: A Medal for Leroy (Kindle Edition)
Another fantastic story. Such a heart felt story . A story more about humans than animals this time. Well worth reading.“

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for adults and kids (9 upwards) alike., 30 Nov 2012
This review is from: A Medal for Leroy (Kindle Edition)
I chose this book because I was interested in Walter Tull and wanted to read a Michael Morpurgo book. I'd heard a lot about this author and I wasn't disappointed. Although this book is written for children, the way it is written makes it good for adults too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 29 Nov 2012
This review is from: A Medal for Leroy (Kindle Edition)
A very warm heartfelt story - well worth it. Michael Morpurgo writes from his heart. Loosely based on a true story.

A Medal for Leroy