5.0 out of 5 stars No frills but solid reliable and easy to fit
Got fed up with a wireless computer I was using dropping the speed sensor signal at times - if you are 30 miles into a ride and you look down to see zero speed you instantly know your averages, time etc etc are all messed up - how annoying is that?

Published 17 months ago by Grafix

3.0 out of 5 stars cateye velo9 cc-vl820
Published 5 months ago by I. W. Barnes

5.0 out of 5 stars No frills but solid reliable and easy to fit, 21 Mar 2013

This unit (as with all past wired Cateyes I've used - and there have been several...) seems fit and forget reliable. The sensor is the one they have used for years and is not too fussy about position. It doesn't need to be 'touching' the magnet to get a constant reading like some others do - a 3 or 4 mm gap works perfectly.

Yes its wired so you do need to run that wire neatly to the sensor - hardly difficult. The sensor itself is much smaller than wireless units as a result though - so for me its actually much less 'visible' overall.

Good price, accurate and works reliably - 5 stars then.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job., 15 Aug 2014
This review is from: CATEYE Velo 9 Cycle Computer (Electronics)
Having tried a cheap wireless alternative(which I regret), this is just the job. It's easy to fit, and more importantly it yields a constant signal from the wheel, regardless of how fast the bike is going (nor how far your sender is from the computer). The instructions come with easily understood instructions, in English(!!) that hasn't had the misfortune of mistranslation or badly formed grammar (well at least as far as I'm concerned). Once fitted, the operational mode is very easy to 'cycle' round, forgive pun, and I think you'd be pretty hard pressed, as I've seen in earlier reviews, to wipe your temporary dataset out by keeping the mode button down for 2s or more. Had a cateye set many years ago, don't know why I bothered with the other alternatives..

4.0 out of 5 stars No frllls just a reliable product at a fair price, 19 Aug 2014
This review is from: CATEYE Velo 9 Cycle Computer (Electronics)
Delivered on time this Cateye product is a sturdy easy readable wired computer with two extra functions more than the Velo 07
easily set up with the excellent pictured instructions and unlike wireless is not subject to loss of readings by interference
If this is a replacement then it should be noted the odemeter will start at zero so existing mileage needs noting .
Setting up guide for wheel size is included and will suit 18in to 28in the sensor on the forks in sensitive so magnet does not have to be to close Mph & Kph + 24hr clock

5.0 out of 5 stars Great computer, 24 Jun 2014
N. Palmer (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CATEYE Velo 9 Cycle Computer (Electronics)
I've had Cat Eye computers in the past and they have never let me down. The only reason I've replaced them is due to me losing them. This one is perfect for what I need. Got the all important basic functions with a couple of additions. I'm a family cyclist now so it's perfect for my needs. It's well built, clear, precise and a bargain price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cannot beat it for price., 7 Jun 2014
This review is from: CATEYE Velo 9 Cycle Computer (Electronics)
Nice big display. Once you've calibrated once which I advise to do before even fitting anything to the bike its a breeze.
I felt it was accurate and will last me a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 1 Sep 2013
Does what it says.

I have found this a very useful piece of equipment. Set up took less than 10 mins and if you make a mistake inputting data (as I did first time) just reset and start again.

Fixing the sensor is a little tricky but only so far as you could do with one extra hand to hold the item in place while fixing the cable ties. The cable ties are very thin so have some spares as you might (again like me) fix it in one place only to find it would be best in another.

This gives me all the info I need, speed, distance, time, max and min speeds plus average speed. I have used this on a number of trips and the readings seem consistent only fluctuating slightly on distance even though I completed the same circuit, but only by point something of a mile so I ain't going to quibble on that.

Not quite sure how accurate the calories burnt info is as no info about yourself (height, weight etc is asked for) but this feature is neither here nor there for me.

All in all very pleased with purchase

3.0 out of 5 stars cateye velo9 cc-vl820, 18 Mar 2014
I. W. Barnes "Barney" (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CATEYE Velo 9 Cycle Computer (Electronics)
I've used cateye for some years now and have never had a faulty one or any problems. The reason I gave this 3 stars is down to the couple of basically useless features... the calorie count is a laugh. I did a 40min hill climb (steep) and it said 198 cals... I then basically free wheeled back down the hill (40mph) and it said (for the second leg) I'd burnt 254 cals??? I wish I'd spent a little more and got the one with the heart rate monitor. (I'm in my mid 50's).... also the CO2 offset ??? who is interested in that?

3.0 out of 5 stars Cateye Velo 9 Wired Computer, 19 July 2013
Although overall it works OK, I have a couple of reservations:
1) it is very easy with one touch to delete the current trip information
2) I am uncertain about the value/accuracy/significance of the calorie consumption and carbon offset functions since it does not require input of any information about one's own weight (including baggage)
The other functions work well
John Rawlinson

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cycle computer, 10 Nov 2013
RAJ (Cambridge) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: CATEYE Velo 9 Cycle Computer (Electronics)
This was very easy to mount both at the wheel and the handle bar, and cable ties are included for the folks. It is a clear large dispaly and is not too full of options and snazzy extras to make it unwieldy. The quick setting for wheel size is much better than the old method of associating a number to a wheel size. There are many standard wheel sizes and then a manual set up for unusual wheel sizes (or if you want to cheat yourself your actual speed and distance!)
Well made and water proof. A great alternative to more expensive wireless sets.

4.0 out of 5 stars More than good enough., 22 Sep 2013
It's functional and does the basic stuff you need - odometer, average speed of journeys, at-a-glance current speed and clock, etc. It also doesn't seem to suffer from any design flaws, something that pushed me away from the absolute cheapest options.

The CO2 and calories burned options are useless to me - the calories in particular as calorie calculations for cycling are far more complicated than anything the inputs would allow it to calculate - but the price between this and the Velo 7 were close enough that I decided to get this in case it was worthwhile. In retrospect, having to click through those options is niggling enough that I'd reccomend the Velo 7 instead but they are incredibly similar and both worth getting.