5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended
Reason for buying:
I decided to buy this product because I wanted a quick release (High GI) sugar product to take during and after several different fitness activities that I do:
(I also realise that Dextrose is used a lot in cooking, however I did not use it for that purpose).

- Gym (Weight training & Cardio)
- Cycling

Very good quality.
Published 9 months ago by FRANK

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, 1 July 2014
PPS076 (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
Reason for buying:

- Gym (Weight training & Cardio)
- Cycling
- Hiking
- Squash

How much did I take?:
The amount that I would take mixed in a shaker with water (with a fast release protein - Whey) would entirely depend on which exercise I was doing at the time and the intensity level (I weigh 13st 0lb).

Summarised below are a few examples:

Activity Intensity Stage Amount taken (in grams )
(Dextrose & Whey)

Gym
(Weight training) Very hard After 75g / 35g

Cycling Hard During 75g / 35g

Hiking Moderate During 50g / 20g

Squash Hard After 50g / 20g

Taste:
As you'd expect, it tastes very sweet when mixed with whey. Although it was the first time that I had taken the dextrose, I felt that I had eaten something that my body really wanted and hadn't had before. I did not experience any bloating or side effects from taking such large doses.

Health benefits:
After taking the product for 2 month my fitness levels had improved and I had built more muscle which showed that the product had worked well. Taking the product during Exercise gave me near instant energy. It was more evident during cycling and hiking. Taking the product after my weight training sessions made the biggest difference. I could recover from each session easier and I had less muscle soreness.

Why Dextrose?
I had read from a number of different reliable sources that taking Dextrose (also called Glucose) immediately after a weight lifting session along with Whey protein causes a massive blood sugar spike. Under normal circumstances such an elevated spike would cause the release of insulin to signal the fat cells to store it immediately as fat, however if taken immediately after a session or during intense exercise the dextrose will enter the muscles rapidly and the insulin spike will drive the amino acids into the muscles (this does not happen to the same degree if you don't spike blood sugar levels ).

Prior to taking Dextrose I was taking blended frozen fruit with Whey and I did not realise that fruit contains mainly fructose sugar which can replenish sugar stores in the blood and liver but not muscles.

Value / Comparison vs other Dextrose / Glucose products:
At £19.99 /5kg this product offers very good value for money. Surprisingly there are no other competitors on Amazon that can match this price. Buying the product in this size instead of in the 2.5kg (£14.99) size works out a lot cheaper. After I tried the product in a 2.5kg tub, I went on to this size.

Verdict: Highly Recommended at this price.

I would recommend discussing taking this with your Doctor BEFORE buying it, especially if you are unwell or are taking any medication.

If you wish to provide feedback on this review please follow the link below. Thanks.

4.0 out of 5 stars BIG container!, 21 July 2014
R. A. Watson "Rolls" (Northampton UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deluxe Nutrition 5Kg Dextrose Tub (Personal Care)
Doing some pretty heavy lifting, get the dextrose to fuel those workouts is key.

One thing to note though, is the bucket of dextrose is just that- 5 KG is massive!!! I was thinking it would be closer in size to my whey powder containers... not even close! Doesn't detract from the product at all - and is quite satisfying having that amount... but storage is a little bit of an issue - i need a garage just for the container! :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 6 Aug. 2014