5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable.
Typical Merrell high quality shoe.
These do offer a lot of support and are fairly stiff. However, despite this rigidity, your feet are still very well cushioned so you wouldn't notice you are wearing such a solid shoe.

Published 23 months ago by MarcusMcA

1.0 out of 5 stars Heel came unglued almost immediately
I was very disappointed with these Merrell Phoenix Gtx Boulder hiking shoes as I wanted a pair of waterproof shoes for walking in during the winter months.

Published 2 months ago by Roissy Angel

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable., 28 Dec 2012
Typical Merrell high quality shoe.

The support from the sole is supplemented by the toughened rubber bumpers around the toe and heel units. This bumpers not only offer protection but also help keep the shoe in shape and allow very little foot slippage within the shoe.

As these are designed to be tough and protective, as expected in a hiking shoe, they have very little give in terms of foot moulding. Like other reviews before, I would recommend going up at least 1/2 to 1 size, as the stiffness makes them feel very snug. Especially if planning on using them as they were designed for and wearing thick hiking socks.
Width wise these are fairly wide fitting so no issue there.

As expected, the Goretex keeps your feet dry. Haven't tested them hiking yet, but certainly they had no issues with splashing or puddles from all the recent rain.

All in all, the quality product you expect from Merrell.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent shoes, fabulous price!, 24 Dec 2012
Mr. J. Greenfield "JMG" (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
These are really great shoes and I got them at a brilliant price. Very comfortable, good grip, gortex. You may need to buy half a size bigger than your normal size though.

5.0 out of 5 stars The usual Merrell high quality product, 22 Nov 2012
Having used a Merrell product in the past, I know that the longevity of the product is good. I needed a new shoe for some trekking. These are lightweight, waterproof and very comfortable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not 'alf bad, 27 Feb 2013
Bit of a problem with this review as it only involves the left shoe(I'm on crutches for 12wks) so my right shoes are having a bit of a holiday at the moment. However, well impressed with the left shoe and I dare say the right is as good too!! I was looking for good support particularly in my current position and a strong, waterproof shoe to take the knocks. Sports trainers are about as waterproof as cheese-cloth,so I always look for shoes with the Goretex TM stamped on them. These shoes have a firm but comfortable sole with excellent grip and the stitching on the uppers is of high quality too. An unseasonable dry spell has meant I havent been able to test how they keep the water out, but I've every confidence in them doing the job.
I bought them for around the £70 mark and intend using them for general leisure use. I call that good value as they are around £20 cheaper than the equivalent Clarks leisure shoes I normally buy and are as good as if not better quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like 'em, 19 Dec 2012
I was interested in Gore tex training shoes. These fit the bill and are warm & comfortable. I was really pleased with price most of all though ...

1.0 out of 5 stars Heel came unglued almost immediately, 15 Sep 2014

Upon receipt of these shoes I could immediately see that the soles were not glued on to the actual sole to the standard I would expect for such a shoe. There was no way that they were going to be waterproof.

There were bits of glue in various places on both shoes and, even worse, you could quite clearly see lots of gaps between the rubber sole and the shoe itself - either they had not applied enough glue to stick both sole and shoe together or the manufacturing of the shoe was faulty.

I don't know about you but I expect shoes marketed as waterproof to be waterproof - any shoe that has such numerous holes and gaps between the rubber sole and the shoe itself is certainly not going to be waterproof.

Any rain will simply run into the holes and collect beneath the shoe between shoe and sole. The same thing will happen if walking on wet pavements or occasional splashing through puddles. The water will no doubt begin to smell and, worse, leave you with wet feet.

In particular, the gaps between sole and shoe around the heel were just too much - lots of space - and I doubt that the soles would have stayed attached to the shoe for long.

The above was a real shame as the shoes felt really comfy when I tried them on. I ordered size 12 and size 12 was fine for me. I have wide feet and these felt the right width for me.

I have bought lots of Merrell over the years and most of the pairs I bought 8 to 10 years ago were fantastic - long lasting and waterproof. But recent purchases of their shoes has been very poor in terms of quality.

I have seen numerous Merrell shoes where there have been poor quality gluing between sole and shoe - i.e. loads of small and not small gaps along the seam between sole and shoe which should be perfectly sealed. IMPO they seem to have a manufacturing problem with large mens shoe sizes.

I did actually wonder whether the small hands of Chinese workers making these have trouble manipulating the large mens shoe sizes - and hence this is why you see so many large mens Merrell shoes with this above problem? It doesn't seem to be a problem with smaller sizes from what I have observed.

Merrell really need to crack down on their quality control or move their manufacturing somewhere where they can be assured of quality. Let's face it - the number one thing you want in a waterproof shoe is for it to be waterproof.

So, what do I think of these Merrell Phoenix shoes? If they had been a cheap pair of trainers that I did not expect to be waterproof they would have been about OK... just about. But for a high-priced quality waterproof shoe they were rubbish.

Maybe I just got unlucky and got a bad pair?

I returned them. Amazon returns were excellent.

September 15th, 2014.

5.0 out of 5 stars great shoes, 6 Jun 2014
Worn every day taking the dog for a walk. Mixed weather, normally wet, for Wales. Comfortable shoe, no water let in very impressed with the grip over wet stones and rough terrain. Bought a size bigger after reading other reviews, a great pair of shoes .No sign of wear after 10 months, will buy another pair if they ever wear out .I have gone through a few pairs of expensive shoes in my time.
Would recommend to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hiking shoes/trainers, 17 Aug 2013
Really well made, water proof even walking in long grass just after its rained. Very comfortable although you do need to break them in a wee bit. Only criticism is the size but so long as you are aware of that before you order you should be ok. I am a size 10 1/2 but more between a 10 and a 10 1/2 than a 10 1/2 to a 11 so I opted for the size 11 as having read the reviews the size is on the small side. They did feel a little tight to start with (not uncomfortable) and I had my doubts if I had done the right thing, but after walking the dogs daily for a few weeks they soon felt just right, you don't want a walking shoe that is too big where your feet move around too much, and these feel like you are walking bare foot but they are at the same time very comfortable and springy. Only thing to watch out is they can be slippy on wet stone/concrete but they grip very well on all other surfaces. I sometimes forget to take them off and wear them all day, they are that comfortable.
Just came back from hiking in the Swiss Alps and they were brilliant, felt you could trust them, confident and solid and comfortable.

3.0 out of 5 stars Firm and rugged., 12 Oct 2014
I have a few pairs of Merrell shoes and would say that these are not as comfy as my others. They are very firm and may need some breaking in. They have kept my feet very dry and are rugged. I only paid around £30 in a sale. I don't think I would have been quite so happy with them if I had paid the £60-£120 prices I've seen them going for on Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very comfortable, 21 Jun 2014
I am normally a 10 but having read previous reviews decided to go for a size bigger, fits perfectly and very comfortable and would certainly recommend these shoes and give them 5 stars