4.0 out of 5 stars ...And the D was...Just Getting Started!
Published on 17 May 2012 by Max Watt

3.0 out of 5 stars Expected better
Considering this album was over four years in the making it's a bit of a let down. I am a big Tenacious D fan and went to see their show recently...but those who have given it five stars are kidding themselves. This is nowhere near the standard of their first (and best) album, either in terms of rock music or comedy.

It actually feels a bit rushed. A couple of...
Published 24 months ago by Andrew Totten

3.0 out of 5 stars Expected better, 14 July 2012

It actually feels a bit rushed. A couple of songs feel like they're there to make up numbers and several others have some tasty riffs that are crying to be expanded on but end up falling short of what I would expect. To top it off it's just not as funny as their other albums.

Only two songs really stand out for me - the title track 'Rize of the Fenix' and the excellent 'Roadie'. So to sum up, rare glimpses of the original Tenacious D still shine through to make it worth a listen...but it's not the sort of album that you'll want to listen to from start to end time and time again.

4.0 out of 5 stars ...And the D was...Just Getting Started!, 17 May 2012
Max Watt (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rize Of The Fenix (Audio CD)
This could be - and I'm still mulling this over as of yet - Tenacious D's best album to date. For me, it doesn't have the same addictive, "short but sweet" vibe as P.O.D, but it's certainly the strongest thing they've done. It branches out, it experiments, and each track has something new to add to the table. Don't worry though, it still has many traits of the classic D. It has that effortless, smooth rhythm that defines their sound.

1) Rize of the Fenix - A great opening song. Slow melodic start, and then the speed picks up and...The D is back! There's nothing amazingly different about it but it sure as hell reminds you just why you love the band. Reminds me of "City Hall", and that's certainly not a bad thing!

2) Low Hanging Fruit - This one is interesting. It's unusually fast for this band. It expands their talents and manages to be very addictive too. What's more, it has that balance of soft acoustic and distorted electric guitar which melds together for great effect.

3) Classical Teacher - The first skit of the album. You'll have to make up your own mind about this...humour is subjective. What the hell am I saying, you're a D fan! Funny stuff!

4) Senorita - Another new sound. I've just been reminded why I love Kyle's guitar-playing. At this point we're seeing some serious variety. The explosive ending is classic Tenacious D.

5) Deth Starr - Nice relaxing opening, then BANG! Addictive, fast-paced riffs and smooth flowing vocals from Mr Jack Black. You'll be singing along with this one, I guarantee.

6) Roadie - This one seems to be getting a lot of praise, but it doesn't do much for me. Objectively, I can see that it's a good song, but for me, there's nothing captivating about it. I've listened to it many times to get the hang of it, and I don't feel any reason to go back to it. But give it a shot. Music is subjective, just like humour.

7) Flutes and Trombones - Another skit. I know reviews are meant to be pretty formal, but I think a LOL is appropriate here.

8) The Ballad of Hollywood Jack and the Rage Kage - This is my second favourite on the entire album. I love the melody, and despite the humorous tone of Jack's voice it's quite a moving song.

9) Throw Down - My favourite! This is possibly D's most addictive song to date in my opinion. They've really captured something here. Again, a very different vibe and rhythm. But I must have listened to it about 15 times already.

10) Rock is Dead - Fast and comedic. This is one to headbang to from start to finish. Stick it on repeat.

11) This is one of those short-but sweet tracks, in the same vain as something like "History". If that's an aspect of the D that you like, then you're in for a treat, but personally, this song feels like it was given up on just when it got going. A treat for some, a miss for others.

12) To Be the Best - Same story here.

13) 39 - A slow, melodic and comedic ending to what I think could be the best D album to date. Jack's voice is experimental here. It shows a different approach in terms of vocal style, and I'm liking it. This one brings the tone down and leaves you quite fulfilled. "Rize of the Fenix" goes full circle.

All in all, I'm pretty satisfied with "Rize of the Fenix". It's enjoyable on many levels, and is superior to its predecessors in many ways. Each album holds something unique, and this one has something new. It's a lot closer in sound to the debut, but it cherry-picks some of the finer elements of P.O.D, and makes them work together. Meanwhile, in bursts the next generation of the D!

Highly recommended! It's melodic, smooth, and versatile. Pretty damn funny too.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Two Kings Never Fail, 17 May 2012
Another awesome album to rock out to from The D. Still the awesome riffs of KG and great vocals of JB. Lyrics are still awesome, listening now as I write this. Dave grohl on the drums again Love it.
Jables and the Rage Kage will rock forever. Two Kings for ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars funny but still rocking, 9 Jun 2014
This review is from: Rize Of The Fenix (Audio CD)
great songs that can make you laugh but still some great rock in there only problem is itunes censors the album cover probly there best album yet

4.0 out of 5 stars Good buy, 8 Jan 2014
This review is from: Rize Of The Fenix (Audio CD)
I had already heard this album on youtube and knew what I was getting.

Good album for having a laugh with some great instrumentals but not something you would want to put on in-front of your girlfriends parents :P.

Would have preferred it to be in a hard case instead of a card sleeve but hay ho.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible album, 13 Dec 2013
This review is from: Rize Of The Fenix (Audio CD)
Read the other reviews, and times that by 100. Very disappointed. Seriously terrible stuff, what were Jack and Kyle thinking.

5.0 out of 5 stars thanks, 26 Jun 2013
This review is from: Rize Of The Fenix (Audio CD)
my soon is a fan and was very pleased with this,,, again not seen in shops thanks very much x

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 4 Jun 2013
This review is from: Rize Of The Fenix (Audio CD)
Tenacious d never fail to make me laugh and get me through my day there other two albums outstanding this one out of this world 13 new songs and if you get the deluxe edition you get a DVD golden nuggets witch has the songs video's on and two bonus tracks you also get a awesome poster my favourite song has to be rize of the fenixs Jack black and Kyle gass are genius of the rock world I recommend you buy this CD if you are a tenacious d fan you'll love it

5.0 out of 5 stars Tenacious D, 12 April 2013
HKOK (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rize Of The Fenix (Audio CD)
What more can you say they rock and this is just another fantastic album I just love them live and albums

5.0 out of 5 stars Tenacious D are back!, 6 Mar 2013
K. Hitchen "kurtph" (BLACKPOOL, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rize Of The Fenix [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
Was a bit unsure that they could do it for a third time. I don't think their last album "POD" was that successful. Rest assured, "Rize" is a great rock album and I don't think fans will be disappointed. There are actually some really good rock songs on this album, though it's not as much discussion/comedy sketches as their first album. I would highly recommend the album, especially if you are a fan.