5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely idea, 15 Jun 2013
This is a lovely idea for a story involving the alphabet. It incorporates both upper and lower case letters which is nice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 4 Mar 2013
Mr. S. Goodman "Steve" (Ayr, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Good book although didn't attract a two and a half year old attention. However, for younger it should be good.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book for kids using the alphabet, 16 Sep 2012
This has been popular with all of my kids, from age 6 down to 2. Would highly recommend...just be prepared to read it over, and over...and over again! My husband and I are rather tired of it, but the kids love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of our all time favorite books, 1 Sep 2012
V. Guerin - See all my reviews
This is a book that is frequently requested in our home. The fun rhymes and silly characters have our kids laughing and reading/singing along. Definitely a book to have before starting pre-school as it introduces the alphabet in an exciting way.

5.0 out of 5 stars chick a boom, 7 April 2011
Was not what I expected (some old song that my daughter used to sing) but it is a very good book and will come into good use when my grandchild is old enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 22 Dec 2010
Lovely book. The lap size is perfect for my 2 year old. I will look for more books in this size. The rhyming is lots of fun and I enjoy reading it to my daughter.

5.0 out of 5 stars BOLD, BRIGHT, AND BEAUTIFUL, 5 July 2010
Gail Cooke (TX, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
You're not going to believe this alphabet book - it's bold, bright and beautiful! Brilliant colors fill each polka-dot bordered page as the alphabet begins its adventurous journey to the top of a coconut tree. The rhymes are irresistible and fun to read again and again.

CHICKA CHICKA BOOM BOOM 2010 is the first oversized board book edition, and in this case bigger is definitely better - more eye-popping than ever. Originally published in 1989 this alphabet book has appealed to generations of youngsters and shows no signs of slowing down. Now, the latest edition gives an entirely new generation of children the opportunity to learn as they play beginning with "A told B, and B told C, `I'll meet you at the top of the coconut tree.''

What a festive way to learn ABC's all the way through to "Last to come X Y Z. And the sun goes down on the coconut tree..."

Enjoy!

- Gail Cooke

5.0 out of 5 stars Read to Your Child to Develop Bonding and Intellect!, 20 May 2004
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Researchers constantly find that reading to children is valuable in a variety of ways, not least of which are instilling a love of reading and improved reading skills. With better parent-child bonding from reading, your child will also be more emotionally secure and able to relate better to others. Intellectual performance will expand as well. Spending time together watching television fails as a substitute.
To help other parents apply this advice, as a parent of four I consulted an expert, our youngest child, and asked her to share with me her favorite books that were read to her as a young child. Chicka Chicka Boom Boom was one of her picks.
The book is designed to teach the alphabet, but has several other nice qualities. For some reason, children get really attached to the sound of hearing "chicka chicka boom boom" and love to repeat it. Not only did my daughter do that, but so did her friends. Have mastered that sound, they were one step along in memorizing the poem story of Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. Because the story contains the alphabet, memorizing that became part of the game. Then with so much memorized, they can "read" the story to you by repeating what they have memorized. Pretty soon, what they have memorized becomes identified with what they see. Voila! Reading progress begins. Very subtle and very effective is this method!
The drawings are equally cleverly designed to help with recognition and memorization. The letters are printed in LARGE sizes and in different colors, surrounded by lots of white space to increase the differences in their appearances. They are also tilted and come alive so they become interesting rather than just abstract. "A told B, and B told C, 'I'll meet you at the top of the coconut tree.'"
If only adult books were this well designed, learning would be fun and easy for almost everyone.
Overcome your misconceptions that children cannot master complicated material, by helping your child learn with this wonderful resource! Then find other books with similar structures to continue the reading progress. Hop on Pop is a good selection for that purpose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright colors, simple illustrations, fun rhymes-enjoy!, 2 Jun 1998
By A Customer
Up the coconut tree, falling down and back up again--my 16-month old has had his second favorite book ever! Almost as soon as he said "MaMa" he said "BoonBoon??" when he wanted the book. Great color, simple pictures and the alphabet front to back twice make this book enjoyable for a broad age group. I received Chicka Chicka Boom Boom as a baby shower gift along with The Read Aloud Handbook. I found them just as essential as diapers and pacifiers!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful...great...outstanding...marvelous, 18 May 1998
By A Customer
My grandchildren insist that this wonderful book is read to them before retiring to bed each night. The book encourages interaction and creates a desire within the child to want to do it themselves...it encourages reading. I would rank it very high with the Dr. Seuss' books. I learned to read phonetically and the book is presented to the beginning reader in such a format.
If you have children, purchase this book and you will see the gleam in their eyes as they rush for bed and insist that you read it again and again. We have been known to read it at least five times and always with cries of "again grandma".