‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great find and such fun!, 9 Jun 1999
By A Customer
I bought this book last week for my 3 year old grandson and I am not sure who loves it more, me or him. It is so easy for kids to get into and pick up the rhyme and rhythm of it, he is already reciting half of it. A must for any youngster's collection. Everyone will have fun with it! Chicka Chicka Boom Boom to you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Every Child Loves This Book !!!, 29 Aug 1998
By A Customer
I am a teacher in a daycare school. When I have the kids sit down for circle, they can't wait to sing Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. We read the book as well as sing the song. I'm glad that there is such a great book about the alphabet to grab the childrens attention! Buy it today...it is a fabulous book !!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A preschooler's book adults can love, 14 Aug 1997
By A Customer
Sometimes I despair of finding a decent children's book written after 1960. All that seems to be written these days is heavy, awful didactic stuff that appears to be written by someone who has never even seen a child, let alone talked to one. When I sit down to read to my little nephews, I generally turn to the classics of my childhood, or of my parents' childhood. And then I discovered Chicka Chicka Boom Book.

The book is nothing more than an extended rhyme about the letters of the alphabet climbing (and falling from) a coconut tree. The artwork is extrememly simple- it reminds me a little of Matisse' paper cutouts. The text has a wonderful rhythmic structure that has kids chanting along in no time. "Chicka chicka boom boom- will there be enough room? A, B and C up the coconut tree!"

It sounds silly. I know. But I really love this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars BOLD, BRIGHT, AND BEAUTIFUL!, 29 Sep 2009
Gail Cooke (TX, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
You're not going to believe this alphabet book - it's bold, bright and beautiful! Brilliant colors fill each polka-dot bordered page as the alphabet begins its adventurous journey to the top of a coconut tree. The rhymes are irresistible and fun to be read again and again.

This version is printed to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the original published in 1989, and gives a new generation of children the opportunity to learn as they play beginning with "A told B, and B told C, `I'll meet you at the top of the coconut tree.'"

There's a festive commemorative poster on the inside of the dust jacket decorated with brilliant polka dot candles and a headline reading "A told B, and B told C, `Let's celebrate twenty years of climbing up the coconut tree!'"

Enjoy!

- Gail Cooke

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is fun and exiciting for preschool age children!!!, 20 Dec 1998
By A Customer
This book is one of the best children's books around. The majority of preschool and/or younger aged children enjoy it. I am a college students who is starting to collect children's books for my classroom and Chicka Chicka Boom Boom was the first book I purchased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read to Your Child to Develop Bonding and Intellect!, 20 May 2004
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Researchers constantly find that reading to children is valuable in a variety of ways, not least of which are instilling a love of reading and improved reading skills. With better parent-child bonding from reading, your child will also be more emotionally secure and able to relate better to others. Intellectual performance will expand as well. Spending time together watching television fails as a substitute.
To help other parents apply this advice, as a parent of four I consulted an expert, our youngest child, and asked her to share with me her favorite books that were read to her as a young child. Chicka Chicka Boom Boom was one of her picks.
The book is designed to teach the alphabet, but has several other nice qualities. For some reason, children get really attached to the sound of hearing "chicka chicka boom boom" and love to repeat it. Not only did my daughter do that, but so did her friends. Have mastered that sound, they were one step along in memorizing the poem story of Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. Because the story contains the alphabet, memorizing that became part of the game. Then with so much memorized, they can "read" the story to you by repeating what they have memorized. Pretty soon, what they have memorized becomes identified with what they see. Voila! Reading progress begins. Very subtle and very effective is this method!
The drawings are equally cleverly designed to help with recognition and memorization. The letters are printed in LARGE sizes and in different colors, surrounded by lots of white space to increase the differences in their appearances. They are also tilted and come alive so they become interesting rather than just abstract. "A told B, and B told C, 'I'll meet you at the top of the coconut tree.'"
If only adult books were this well designed, learning would be fun and easy for almost everyone.
Overcome your misconceptions that children cannot master complicated material, by helping your child learn with this wonderful resource! Then find other books with similar structures to continue the reading progress. Hop on Pop is a good selection for that purpose.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book !!, 4 Mar 2014
Love this book and can't wait to share it with my granddaughter!Colourful, bright and sturdy and it will withstand lots of use from a young child.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 12 Feb 2014
Everything about this book is just amazing from the excellent illustrations to the amazing writing of Bill Martin. Clever classic that teaches kids the alphabet in a fun and loving manner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute and classic!, 21 May 2003
This book is really cute, and easy for small kids to understand. It is about the lowercase letters of the alphabet who have a race up a coconut tree and then they fall (chicka chicka boom boom!!! and they all fall down) and their "parents" (the uppercase lettesr) come to their rescue and heal their wounds from the fall. The illustrations are CHARMING and the text, as i said before, is simple yet cute and classic. I read this book when I was really little and i remember loving it :-) I can still remember some of it's lyrics. A MUST READ FOR YOUNG KIDS!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright colors, simple illustrations, fun rhymes-enjoy!, 2 Jun 1998
By A Customer
Up the coconut tree, falling down and back up again--my 16-month old has had his second favorite book ever! Almost as soon as he said "MaMa" he said "BoonBoon??" when he wanted the book. Great color, simple pictures and the alphabet front to back twice make this book enjoyable for a broad age group. I received Chicka Chicka Boom Boom as a baby shower gift along with The Read Aloud Handbook. I found them just as essential as diapers and pacifiers!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›