5.0 out of 5 stars glad to see it back in print
Loved this book when it first came out. One of Kathy Lette's best I reckon. Good to see it back in print as now I'm no longer forced to find second hand copies to give to pregnant friends.
Published on 12 May 2012 by Cazza

1.0 out of 5 stars Just awful!
Given the subject matter which I am very interested in, I thought I would really enjoy this book. Sadly not.

I found it very dull and hard to get into. The author tries too hard to fit as many puns as she can into one sentence, whilst neglecting to follow a storyline.

Published on 27 Aug 2012 by I'd-rather-read-a-book

1.0 out of 5 stars Just awful!, 27 Aug 2012
This review is from: Foetal Attraction (Kindle Edition)

Most of the book is full of too many adjectives, which becomes confusing and gets in the way of actually being able to understand the story! It's almost like Lette has plucked as many words as possible out of the dictionary just to increase the word count!

She has tried too hard, and unfortunately it's neither funny nor makes good reading. Highly un-recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Silly, out-dated and quite offensive!, 15 May 2014
This review is from: Foetal Attraction (Kindle Edition)
Contrary to some other bad reviews, I was optimistic through the first chapter, with the Aussie heroine enduring the first stages of labour in a run-down NHS hospital, which was quite funny. Alas, it went sharply downhill from then on. Lette's plotting is terrible - I never knew when/where we were supposed to be, and she tries FAR too hard to be funny. I am surprised that a well-known cookery school didn't sue her for libel; when the heroine is given a cookery course by her English lover, attended by pearl-wearing "debbie" types called Clarissa and Octavia, the menu includes - wait for it - haggis, tripe and black sausage!!! Is that what they serve at posh dinner parties?

It is littered with out-dated stereotypes of England and the English - as one commentator on here put it, quite racist in some ways - do the English still have cold baths? I doubt it, and you'd struggle to find tripe in any butchers these days!

Lette obviously hates England and the English - strange she chooses to live in London. But the book - well, okay, I'm FAR too old for "chick lit" - but LOVE Kinsella and Costello, whose disaster-prone heroines are warm, zany and engaging! I just wished Maddy would go back to Oz and give England a break. I gave up in the middle of Chapter 3.

Don't bother!

5.0 out of 5 stars glad to see it back in print, 12 May 2012
Cazza (highest branch of the apple tree) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Foetal Attraction (Paperback)

Foetal Attraction