5.0 out of 5 stars Looks Cool, Sounds Great!
Published 14 months ago by Dan G

3.0 out of 5 stars Good - although the £500 RRP is far too ambitious!
If you've got a 30 pin iPod or iPhone and are looking for a speaker dock, you could do a lot worse than Denon's kidney bean shaped Cocoon. This is the smaller portable version which claims to be waterproof (I haven't tested this claim) and offers Apple Airplay and Internet Radio as well as playing music from your iPod.

As another reviewer mentions, this comes...
Published 5 months ago by inky

3.0 out of 5 stars Good - although the £500 RRP is far too ambitious!, 23 April 2014
inky (Perthshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Denon DSD300 Cocoon Portable Wireless Dock - Black (Electronics)

As another reviewer mentions, this comes with a European 2 pin plug as standard. As the unit needs charged prior to use, and without a UK mains lead, it's effectively useless straight from the box! Absolutely staggering considering the original £500 RRP! As first impressions go, it's not a great start.

Fortunately (for me), it uses a figure of 8 mains lead which I was able to nick from another appliance in the home.

Once charged and connected to my wi-fi (there's also an ethernet port if you want to use it with a network cable), sound quality from my iPod was good and a marked improvement over some cheaper docks that I've heard. It's relatively portable and was quite easily moved from room to room, even to the garden where it didn't drop the wifi signal. iTunes found it quickly and I was able to stream music via Airplay with ease. Internet Radio was also fairly simple to set-up.

The small screen displays battery life, wifi signal strength and track information. It's bright and clear and was fairly easy to read from across the room. There's also a small credit card sized remote supplied although Denon's app proved easier to use.

On the downside, there are only 3 pre-sets for the Internet Radio Stations, not a great choice (whilst you could play the radio directly from an iPhone if you've got an app like Tune-In, it's not much use if you're an iPod user). The buttons on top of the unit are touch sensitive but sometimes unresponsive - it took a couple of presses before anything happened on a couple of occasions. And sounds quality, whilst good, wasn't as stunning as I was expecting.

Maybe I'm being overly harsh but the above faults combined with the £500 RRP are unacceptable. Whilst (as with most docks featuring Apple's older 30 pin connectors) it can now be picked up at a fraction of the suggested price, I'm rather underwhelmed by Denon's offering.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks Cool, Sounds Great!, 17 July 2013
First impressions, really well built and easy to set up with the quick start guide. I just docked my iPhone and after downloading the free app it found my home network and prompted me for the password. It then connected to my network and it was ready to go! It suggests a running in period to get the best sound out of it - I think it sounds great already, so I can't wait to hear it after a bit more use!
The app is really straightforward to use and I like the fact that I can just stream my music to it through Airplay from my iPad, iPhone and my laptop. I’ve also had a bit of a play with the Internet Radio which has too many stations to even think about!
Due to the great weather, I haven’t yet been able to test its ‘Water resistance’ but I have had it in the garden with me and it still streams my music with no problems.
On top of all this, I found out I can claim a Free pair of Wireless Denon Headphones too!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Features but a Definite Lag!, 1 April 2014
First things first, the most important part of this review is to WARN all UK purchasers that you will need a Europe to UK plug adapter as the lead is a two prong, circular plug. For the price I was quite disappointed that there was not a UK adapter included with the docking station.

Also, it may be because I only received the item today and haven't given it the "warming up" period that is advised, but there is a lag when using the touch sensitive buttons or remote and switching to preset stations is also quite slow. The system is not ready to use on start-up but takes a few minutes to load and the station is quite slow at responding to airplay.

However, when listening to music the sound is clear and crisp with good quality at a reasonably high volume. The Wi-fi was quick to set up and it's nice to see each song displayed on the interface, with the dock storage making it neat when it's not in use. The internet radio is also a nice addition.

Overall, I gave it three stars as it is not as smooth as I expected due to the lagging and I am slightly disappointed in certain features due to the brand and the amount paid. However, the sound quality is definitely better that its Philips predecessor and I like the internet radio feature.

5.0 out of 5 stars Portable, water resistant, fantastic product, 17 July 2013
This is the first Denon product that I’ve owned and I was surprised by the overall excellent quality of the dock. I’m usually not very good with electronics but I soon found the cocoon user friendly and easy to steam music. If you spend a good amount of time outside, or you’re like me and enjoy gardening then the cocoon is the perfect audible companion due to its light weight portability and resistance to water. It’s this flexibility of listening environments which I’ve come to love. The long battery life allows me to do my work without any worries of the machine turning off and when the day stretches on I can take it back indoors.

3.0 out of 5 stars A mixed bag, 9 May 2013
First Cocoon I ordered didn't work, the battery wouldn't charge. Amazon were pretty good about that though and sent a replacement in in 2 days. The unit itself has plenty of features. I mostly got it for Airplay which works fine most of the time. Set-up was a bit hit and miss. The 3 preset digital radio stations is a nice bonus feature and the portability is great as long as you stay within wi-fi for Airplay.

My main gripe with the system is the sound quality. I've had a Bose sound dock for several years and I'm used to the extra punch that it delivers. The Denon just doesn't compare, it has little bass to speak of.

Also has other little niggles which a firmware update would probably sort out. All in all, the unit looks better on paper then it performs in real life.

2.0 out of 5 stars glad i didnt pay full price for it, 3 Sep 2014
glad i didnt pay full price for it ..

its ok when its working , looses connection with WiFi, and i cant link it up with my iphone like it says you can.

use it more as an ipod docking station but i can do that with most devices around the house .

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful thing but the software needs work, 4 April 2013
Guido Wilden "GuidoLondon" (London) - See all my reviews
It took a while until I had managed to connect it to my home network and even longer to apply the firmware upgrade. How I managed the latter I'm not entirely sure but in the end it did work. Don't ask me for replication steps because I couldn't give any. I just kept and kept and kept pressing the same buttons and in the end it worked.
There is the option to apply the firmware upgrade through a browser but good luck finding a download link for the flasher. I couldn't find any. At least there are software updates. I had a Philips Soundring that I bought in November 2011 and am still awaiting an improved software for this device.
However I think that AirPlay the way it is now is a wet towel which is Apple's 'fault' and nobody else's. It's improved a little as of late but still has some way to go.
If you enjoy sussing out how stuff works and are persistent this might be the thing for you. If you look for something that comes out of the box and 'JUST WORKS' ... this device is not for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 14 Aug 2013
does everything I want and sounds fab. can airplay all my music from I phone, I pad and computers. can play all internet radio stations from bbc to small inde stations also has with 3 presets and with you tube having airplay can play absolutely any track i fancy . Can dock the i phone 4. rechargeable so can listen in the bath. sleep set and alarm. Took a little while to configure it to the g5 but once figured brilliant. We are totally apple (phone, i pad touch computers) so dont know how easy it is with a pc. Sounds really good too, my main amp is an arcam and hardon speakers thru the g5 so want good quality which it is.

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, 11 Aug 2014
very weak wifi receiver. Heavy to be portable.

1.0 out of 5 stars AWFUL, 24 May 2014
WOULD NOT CONNECT TO MY WIFI, TRIED EVERYTHING POSSIBLE, RANG SKY UP THEY SAID ITS A PROBLEM WITH DENON, NOT VERY HAPPY AT ALL. THOUGHT I GOT A BARGAIN, HEAP OF JUNK, CAME WELL PACKAGED BUT I HAD TO COLLECT IT FROM A COLLECT PLUS STORE AS AMAZON INSISTED ON USING AMAZON LOGISTICS WHICH ARE EVEN MORE WORSE THAN YODEL, THINKING IT WOULD BE QUITE LIGHT I WENT OVER TO PICK IT UP IT WAS SO HEAVY, AND I HURT MY BACK,