Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop now Shop Now Shop now

Carolus Rex
Format: MP3 DownloadChange
Price:£6.69

on 30 July 2012
I have bought most of Sabaton's albums since I discovered the band last year, and I'll be seeing them live in November.
Of all their albums, this one is definitely the best, you can tell how much effort has been put in to its production, the lyrics focus on the thirty year war and are informative but easy to follow and fit the music perfectly, it is one of the best music albums of any type that I have ever heard.
The use of choral voices in places make this into a true piece of art, the album is magnificently set up in every way, from the music itself down to the order the tracks are in.
If you want a taste of the quality of this album, look up 'The Carolean's Prayer', 'Long Live the King' and 'Ruina Imperii' on Youtube, every song on the album is brilliant, but these are some of the best.
I would offer a warning with this album though, I had to listen to it repeatedly at high volume for the first few days after I got it.
In my opinion, it is well worth spending a little extra and getting one of the special editions, I did and that meant I got the album in English and Swedish with the bonus track, a cover of Amon Amarth's 'Twilight of the Thunder God'. The album is great in both languages, the overall sound in Swedish is just fantastic, and the cover is actually better than the original in my opinion.
This is a fantastic album, a must for any metal fan.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 11 July 2012
If you have any interest in the military history of Northern Europe, then you're likely to enjoy this record. And if you like top class power metal AND military history, like me, you'll LOVE this!
This covers different eras of the Swedish Empire's attempts to expand through Europe, particularly regards to the campaigns of Charles XII.
These guys have a way of bringing history to life. But it's more than that: they also know how to construct a good song. Lots of good choruses and a melodic touch make it very enjoyable.
I like the fact that Sabaton doesn't just glorify war, too. There are slower, more comtemplative songs like "A Lifetime of War". How do the people of a nation cope with constant war being waged by their nation?
A good overview of the themes behind the Great Northern War. And good songs!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Carolus Rex is the charismatic Swedish Power Metal band Sabaton’s sixth full-length studio album. The Gold-Certified album was produced by Hypocrisy’s Peter Tägtgren (and indeed features some guest contributions from him) and released on Nuclear Blast Records in 2012, just before a radical line-up shift that saw all but two members (singer Joakim Brodén and bassist Pär Sundström) leave the band.

Its too early to tell at time of writing, but this magnificent album feels like a future classic to me. This is such a strong, perfectly crafted, and interesting and entertaining album that it really feels like something of a landmark. It is the culmination of everything the band had always been excelling at. Its got brilliant lyrics about interesting Swedish historical subjects with surprising depth and occasionally quite good characterization (the Title Track especially), its got fun riffs, a nice mix of tempos and superb confident melodic vocals. I can really see it going down as a genre classic in a few years time.

Tracks like “The Lion From The North,” “Killing Ground,” “Gott Mitt Uns” and the Title Track are among the best in the band’s repertoire, and there is absolutely no weak moments or filler. It’s a good length that feels substantial but doesn’t overstay its welcome, and there’s a fine balance of variety versus consistency.

Most of all; there’s just so many great choruses that will stick in your head for days. Sabaton have always been masters of the hook, and this catchy masterpiece is no exception. These are memorable songs that make you want to sing along. Combine that with the bombastic, big, grandiose sounding music and you’ve got some serious umph going on here.

Overall; Carolus Rex is an excellent, catchy album full of memorable, well-produced and well-written songs. If you are a fan of the band its an absolute must-have and if you are interested in checking the band out it’s a fine introduction. I highly recommend anyone with an interest in this sort of music to give them a try.

on 13 January 2013
This CD is about the time when Sweden had an empire in the 17th century, although people have sometimes heard of Gustavus Adolphus. It's well written heavy rock, with a bit of synthesizer and some choral work, generally fast paced and sung in English (apart from the song Ruina Imperii which is in Swedish on the English CD).
It's one of those CDs that you listen to and like, then like even more as you play it again. There are no poor songs, or things that you skip, just some that you like more than others. My own favourites are "Gott mit uns", a song about the battle of Breitenfeld (and the origin of the phrase on German belt buckles) and "Ruina Imperii", which has a heavy reggae-like beat and covers the retreat of the Swedes after their king was killed. The title track is about king Charles XII, it's quite chilling in the "divine right of kings" attitudes that are a part of the song.
Buy it and play it loud. It's also just as good in Swedish.
on 13 June 2012
Did you know that Sweden had an empire? Neither did I, however, thanks to the Sabaton guys, we now know a little more. And the way the history lesson is delivered beats the pants off most history teachers! An excellent album - the packaging, the fact that I ordered the Limited Edition meant that I also received the CD in English and Swedish, the actual words and, naturally, the reason I bought it in the first place, the music.
And what music, too. Right from the outset, they deliver a storming, fluent and awesome album. If it had been as good as previous albums, that would have been good enough for me, but this is way better than anything they given heretofore.
Whether you like their stuff or are completely new to it, buy this album and enjoy a really good history lesson with metal attached!
on 5 September 2012
I'm new to Sabatons music, and I brought this album after hearing "Lion from the North" on a free CD compilation and decided it was a belting tune. It was a bit of a risk to buy a whole album based on one song, but it was a decision not regretted!

Sabaton fall very firmly into the "Power Metal" category, which would normally make me run a million miles away, as most power metal seems to be pretencious arty rubbish with bands that take themselves far to seriously while having some outrageously silly lyrics. But what set this band apart as a really good band are that their songs are well written, well recorded, and most of all FUN.

This is a fun album to listen to. The production is brilliant, there is a degree of varitey between songs, from full on belting tunes [Lion from the North, Carlous Rex] to mid-pace stompers [Caroleans Prayer, Paltova] to some quite epic ballards [Lifetime of War, Long Live the King] It's an extremely well structured album as well - you are not bombarded with 3 or 4 ballards in a row; the album paces itself very well.

It's a concept album, based around the Great Northern War and specifically the reign of King Charles XII of Sweden. As such, many songs have a narrative that is there to drive the story onwards, but without sacrificing the ability of the songs to stand alone outside of that. It's this very clever songwriting that make this such a good album; you can listen to it to absorb yourself in the story or just to sing along and bang your head. There is a degree of heaviness to Sabaton's music that a lot of other bands of this ilk lack.

Stand-out tracks include The Caroleans Prayer, Carlous Rex, and my favourite song Long Live the King. I brought the 2-disc version with the album in Swedish, and with the English version having a rather excellent cover of Amon Amarths "Twilight of the Thundergod". The cover track is brilliant, and the Swedish version of this album sounds just as good as in English; although without a good grasp of the language the concept will be lost so I recommend familiarising yourself with the English version first if you want to listen to this for its story.

This is an album that is screaming to be played live; and I'm off to see them in Novemeber and hopefully have a great blast. This album has convinced me to check out more of this bands back catalogue and I already have Coat of Arms, Metalizer and Primo Victora on order. Because I'm not familiar with the band, I can't say for sure how it rates compared to their other albums, but this is definately on of the best albums I've heard all year. Throughly recommended.
on 23 September 2012
I have to agree with all the comments already submitted. Its as good as Art of War, which was a surprise as I was a little aprehensive after the group split and recruited new members, but they have made a seamless transition. The swedish language cd is indeed an exciting and unusual listening experience, the digi booklet is very informative, I too knew nothing about a swedish empire before reading it. I'm looking forward to seeing them live November 1st, I read somewhere they've been voted best live act 3 years running in Scandinavia. Funny thing though, the bonus track is the cover version of "Twighlight of the Thunder God", but is listed as "In the army now" by Status Quo ! I know which one I'd rather have................no complaints here.
on 5 October 2012
I First heard Carolus Rex and i loved it at once, I'm a huge Vinyl fan so i started searching for the Carolus Rex album on vinyl at once. Found this masterpiece worth every single pound payed! This album contains 2 blue 180gram vinyl records with absolute fantastic sound quality, exactly what i wanted. Also you get a poster of the album cover and a sheet with the song text's. This is the best album I've bought this year for sure!
review image
on 10 November 2013
I heard this album by accident and I liked that so much I bought it. Then I just could not stop listening it. So I bought all the Sabaton cds. They are good too ,but not even close as good as this one. A 5 star ,unique power metal wonder. I am looking forward to their next one.I wonder if they can outdo this,or not. Would be very difficult.
on 11 February 2014
I have not listened to all their work, but among the ones I have bought, following "Art of War", this is their second best album. The story flows well, the lyrics and most importantly the melodies are very good. For those who like symphonic / heavy sounds, this is definitely advisable.