5.0 out of 5 stars Carolus Rex - Sabaton's best album
I have bought most of Sabaton's albums since I discovered the band last year, and I'll be seeing them live in November.
Published 24 months ago by JFleming26

2.0 out of 5 stars The least interesting Sabaton album so far
I should start by saying that I really like Sabaton as a band. Their pompous, epic, power-metal is just on the right side of cheese-flavoured and, most importantly, they're good musicians in the classic heavy metal style. Essentially, they take the Iron Maiden formula of chugging riffs and dual guitar melodies and mix it up with some ear-worm synth riffs and whole choirs...
Published 8 months ago by Killbetter

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Carolus Rex - Sabaton's best album, 30 July 2012
This review is from: Carolus Rex (MP3 Download)
Of all their albums, this one is definitely the best, you can tell how much effort has been put in to its production, the lyrics focus on the thirty year war and are informative but easy to follow and fit the music perfectly, it is one of the best music albums of any type that I have ever heard.
The use of choral voices in places make this into a true piece of art, the album is magnificently set up in every way, from the music itself down to the order the tracks are in.
If you want a taste of the quality of this album, look up 'The Carolean's Prayer', 'Long Live the King' and 'Ruina Imperii' on Youtube, every song on the album is brilliant, but these are some of the best.
I would offer a warning with this album though, I had to listen to it repeatedly at high volume for the first few days after I got it.
In my opinion, it is well worth spending a little extra and getting one of the special editions, I did and that meant I got the album in English and Swedish with the bonus track, a cover of Amon Amarth's 'Twilight of the Thunder God'. The album is great in both languages, the overall sound in Swedish is just fantastic, and the cover is actually better than the original in my opinion.
This is a fantastic album, a must for any metal fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Metal for History Buffs, 11 July 2012
E. R. Wilding (Hull, UK) - See all my reviews
If you have any interest in the military history of Northern Europe, then you're likely to enjoy this record. And if you like top class power metal AND military history, like me, you'll LOVE this!
This covers different eras of the Swedish Empire's attempts to expand through Europe, particularly regards to the campaigns of Charles XII.
These guys have a way of bringing history to life. But it's more than that: they also know how to construct a good song. Lots of good choruses and a melodic touch make it very enjoyable.
I like the fact that Sabaton doesn't just glorify war, too. There are slower, more comtemplative songs like "A Lifetime of War". How do the people of a nation cope with constant war being waged by their nation?
A good overview of the themes behind the Great Northern War. And good songs!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a tour de force!, 13 Jun 2012
Mr. P. D. Ovenden "PhilO" (Falkland Islands) - See all my reviews
Did you know that Sweden had an empire? Neither did I, however, thanks to the Sabaton guys, we now know a little more. And the way the history lesson is delivered beats the pants off most history teachers! An excellent album - the packaging, the fact that I ordered the Limited Edition meant that I also received the CD in English and Swedish, the actual words and, naturally, the reason I bought it in the first place, the music.
And what music, too. Right from the outset, they deliver a storming, fluent and awesome album. If it had been as good as previous albums, that would have been good enough for me, but this is way better than anything they given heretofore.
Whether you like their stuff or are completely new to it, buy this album and enjoy a really good history lesson with metal attached!

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome to War Metal, 13 Jan 2013
Neil Lucock (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Carolus Rex (MP3 Download)
This CD is about the time when Sweden had an empire in the 17th century, although people have sometimes heard of Gustavus Adolphus. It's well written heavy rock, with a bit of synthesizer and some choral work, generally fast paced and sung in English (apart from the song Ruina Imperii which is in Swedish on the English CD).
It's one of those CDs that you listen to and like, then like even more as you play it again. There are no poor songs, or things that you skip, just some that you like more than others. My own favourites are "Gott mit uns", a song about the battle of Breitenfeld (and the origin of the phrase on German belt buckles) and "Ruina Imperii", which has a heavy reggae-like beat and covers the retreat of the Swedes after their king was killed. The title track is about king Charles XII, it's quite chilling in the "divine right of kings" attitudes that are a part of the song.
Buy it and play it loud. It's also just as good in Swedish.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 5 July 2014
This review is from: Carolus Rex (Audio CD)
all this bands cds need to be heard this band are sheer class.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cd, 12 Mar 2014
This review is from: Carolus Rex (Audio CD)
Music for my son, excellent service, many hours of listening, not to my taste but my son loves it :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Their second good album..., 11 Feb 2014
This review is from: Carolus Rex (Audio CD)
I have not listened to all their work, but among the ones I have bought, following "Art of War", this is their second best album. The story flows well, the lyrics and most importantly the melodies are very good. For those who like symphonic / heavy sounds, this is definitely advisable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Sabaton album by far, 10 Nov 2013
This review is from: Carolus Rex (Audio CD)
I heard this album by accident and I liked that so much I bought it. Then I just could not stop listening it. So I bought all the Sabaton cds. They are good too ,but not even close as good as this one. A 5 star ,unique power metal wonder. I am looking forward to their next one.I wonder if they can outdo this,or not. Would be very difficult.

5.0 out of 5 stars C.D., 24 Oct 2013
This review is from: Carolus Rex (Audio CD)
As you would expect from Sabaton another great recording and selection of songs.all sang with feeling this time about Sweden

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent album, 21 Oct 2013
This review is from: Carolus Rex (Audio CD)
I was introduced to this band by my 15 year old son who described the album as "Rammstein meets Wagner with a Swedish history class thrown in" - definitely looking for more music from Sabotan.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›