on 29 July 2012
MURDER BY MISHAP

Murder once again impinges on amateur detective Edna Davies of Rhode Island, willing or not. She struggles to juggle a number of baffling happenings: the discovery of a valuable brooch missing for decades, the appearance of a new neighbor with a major secret, a suspicious handyman, an abusive husband, the incidents cascade and culminate in a murder. Edna uses her native wit to unravel connections and solve several of the mysteries.

Young's writing is entertaining and fast-paced while avoiding the extreme violence and bloodshed found in some crime and mystery works. Her characters remind readers of people they might know. So when the resolution occurs, we breathe a sigh of relief and satisfaction, content that Edna has shown us the sterner stuff of which she is made, as well as the humanitarian connections she always exhibits.
on 10 May 2013
This third instalment of the Edna Davies mysteries sticks to the same formula as the others - a cozy murder mystery that isnt't too taxing but is enjoyable, especially the way the characters & their relationships are written. It doesn't surprise & the plot twists are obvious long before they are revealed but equally as well, its a light, relaxing read. The writing is much tighter in this instalment and the story bobs along nicely.

Although I thought this the best of the novels, as you would expect on a third one, I still got a little fed up with the needless repetition and overly explained actions in places. So, I've read all three, given it a good go and enjoyed the stories, but I think for me I'll leave it there now, as they just don't hold me enough to want to carry on with future instalments. However, I would still recommend them to fans of the cozy murder mysteries, as everyone is different in what grabs them.
on 17 December 2012
This is a good read, if you like the other books in the series then I think you will enjoy this one. I am not sure how the heroine is supposed to keep all this secret from her husband who is always conveniently away when things happen, this may become too difficult to maintain if the series continues.

The story is entertaining, the mystery engaging and the characters likeable.
on 5 October 2014
I gave this book a review of 4 stars because of the surprise ending,it was going to be 3 stars purely because it became for me slow on getting to the point of what was taking place,saying that it's possible I was losing patience and was longing for the end! I would however read this authors book because of the surprise ending.
on 21 July 2013
The third Edna Davies story I have read. It is an easy book to pick up and put down - not gripping but quite fast moving. Middle aged Edna does seem to find herself in the middle of some quite intriguing situations - a little far fetched but quite fun.
on 3 April 2013
Excellent mystery from suzanne young, a well executed plot including friend's and family, characters are clear and relevant in all aspects of this mystery, good plot and how each character fits in, look forward to many more of suzanne young 's mystery's
on 13 December 2012
I love Edna, she is me with more zip and an American family. I love the gardenning and herb allusions and the way her poor husband always seems to be in the wrong place until it's all over. Recommended.
on 15 May 2014
Good plot excellent descriptions great characters, I am really enjoying reading this series of books which are not too deep but keep you interested and guessing
on 30 June 2013
enjoyable light entertaining reading. I wish I had a life like Edna has,always in a slight bit of bother & her husband never knows. Wonderful,
on 27 February 2013
I enjoyed this book bit like a Miss Marple. Nice to relax to, just an easy read down loaded another one on my kindle