Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£7.49

on 31 July 2012
I have always liked David Brin's books so when I came across this one I was a bit concerned about the low ratings but bought it regardless.

I found it a very good read, laughing out loud at times and really enjoying how all the various strands and ideas came together.

Although this is more an ideas book with the various theories about the Fermi paradox explored between the characters it does have an underlying believable world with it's share of well imagined SF elements and even a few action scenes.

I later read that some of the chapters were previously publised short stories (or developments of them) but I honnestly did not spot the joins while I was reading it.
on 24 April 2014
I found this book very confusing and hard to understand. I wonder at the reason for writing it! I must have missed the point completely!
on 19 December 2012
In answer EXISTENCE continually diverts the imagination. David Brin's style makes for easy reading and at every turn, there is a twist.
Brin has always been an author to make me not only think but one that generates a story that as a reader makes me think after I put the title down. It's inventive and of course the what if questions are ones that haunt you long into your sleep as you try and think what the events would do in our world if the events within were to come to pass.

The pace is solid, the prose decent and as usual with David's writing the reader is in for a treat as the pages take you through a real journey of discovery. All in a solid read but for me, asking the reader to question their own thoughts as well as understanding is a worthy thing in itself. Solid, capable and definitely a book I enjoyed.
44 comments|7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 February 2016
great post apocaliptic
on 7 January 2016
Very intresting book
on 8 October 2012
I was left struggling to finish the book just to find out where it was going. Numerous characters are brought into the storyline only to disappear without adding anything. If you are looking for a gripping read then I'm sorry but this is not it.
on 13 December 2012
If you love SF which folds in current technology and social trends, sticks to a universe where relativity turns out to impose hard limits to space travel, and yet manages to include first contact with a diverse selection of aliens, and tries to explore some of the hard questions about human existence that this poses, then this is the novel for you. It's big, bold, and diverse, a panoply of ideas and characters spread over many pages. Enjoy!
on 24 February 2013
Existence became quite the page-turner in the last half of the book, although that's not to say there was anything wrong with the first half!

I can't help but feel that David Brin discovered the word "ersatz" shortly before writing this book and then proceeded to use it whenever possible. It's probably a word I've come across once or twice throughout my life, but Brin manages to squeeze it in a good 30-40 times!
on 25 November 2012
Interesting plot, nice exploration of how stressful first contact will be for the human race. Apparently human self-delusion will outlast even human existence but will exist eternally, which is a kind of racial immortality, which doesn't look likely the more you examine the possibilities of the there not being a post-apocalytptic era