5.0 out of 5 stars An Engrossing Page-Turner

1.0 out of 5 stars A promising book ruined by editing
Published 24 months ago by Ms. K. Murdoch

5.0 out of 5 stars An Engrossing Page-Turner, 2 July 2012
Marsha Moore (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sholes Key (An Evans & Blackwell Mystery #1) (Kindle Edition)
After reading the first page of this mystery, I was immediately hooked, and I devoured the rest! Author Clarissa Draper has penned a wonderfully engrossing read with a fantastic cast of characters and a tightly plotted storyline. With plenty of twists and turns along the way, the novel kept me entertained until the very end. I'm already looking forward to the next in the series.

1.0 out of 5 stars A promising book ruined by editing, 24 Aug 2012
Ms. K. Murdoch (Kendal, UK) - See all my reviews
A promising book but ruined by poor editing and "Americanisms". Book is supposed to be set in London with a British DI but we get " mom", "neighbor", "favor" etc, I could list more but you get the idea. Slang totally out of context and character, since when would a middle-aged DI or for that matter a middle class MI5 code breaker use "innit". Sorry if this sounds picky but once you notice these things it gets hard to ignore. We also get an officer going from a DC to DI part way through! Ending felt rushed as if the author just couldn't be bothered and by then neither could I. The only good thing I can say is at least it was free.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 6 Jun 2012
I loved this book. I was hooked from the great prologue when we meet the killer. The characters are well drawn and thoroughly convincing, the writing is tight, the pacing is excellent, and the clever storyline kept me guessing right to the end.

I'm already looking forward to the next Evans and Blackwell Mystery!

2.0 out of 5 stars Needs a reboot, 10 Oct 2012
A promising start to this story in what is a crowded market, but I found myself quickly annoyed by the awful dialogue (particularly from Blackwell) and out of place cultural references: the story is set in the UK and nobody drinks tea, and everybody has closets, for example? I thought Evans had potential as a character - shades of Carrie Mathieson from Homeland in my mind - but again let down by the unbelievable situations she was placed in. I would reset the series in the US, ditch the cop and focus on the spook aspect a bit more, and it might get me interested but I wouldn't bank on it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Plot good, some parts a little weak, 15 Sep 2012
C. G. Williams (UK) - See all my reviews
I enjoyed reading this book (a freebie on my Kindle), the plot and storyline were intriguing, but, I must admit, there were a few places where I found some comments a bit confusing and unrelated to the story.

A good read for a free one, and I would try another by Clarissa Draper, but not in my top 10!

3.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed this book although it was spoilt by all the ..., 2 July 2014
Generally, I enjoyed this book although it was spoilt by all the Americanisms. Also, the 'London needle' was mentioned - was the author referring to the Shard? A British editor with a good knowledge of London should have gone through this book thoroughly!! Apart from these irritating points, it was quite a good story.

4.0 out of 5 stars A page turner, 4 May 2014
The Sholes Key is a very interesting crime thriller, that will keep you turning the pages, even when you're so tired that you're fighting sleep!

My biggest criticism with the story overall was that there were a few times when the dialogue seemed a little unusual. The use of Britishisms were occasionally too incorrect for me to ignore, but for the most part, it flowed well.

That said, The Sholes Key is a very enjoyable read and I found it really hard to put down! I would certainly recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Needed a better editor, 12 Dec 2013
This is a story apparently set in London, but some of the language seems to have been transposed from an American sleuth novel! There is far too much going on. It seemed to me that the author had drafted out a number of ideas then decided to use all of them all at once rather than editing the list to properly develop the ideas into separate novels. Frankly I found both Evans and Blackwell rather irritating at times, and again their conversations didn't ring true as indigenous English speakers. The premise of the story is good and did not require any sub-plot. The characterisation of the murder suspects and the deciphering of the clues should have been developed more fully, but this was lost due to the unnecessary story of Sophia's undercover work and love interest. This should have been developed into another story as I don't believe it added anything to this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit confusing, 19 May 2013
This is an ok book.. I didn't find it hugely engrossing and I felt that it skimmed the surface in that you didn't really get to know the characters or the killers. The code solution was confusing and to me it didn't suit the killer - I can't say more without giving away the plot. I also felt the sub plot was a bit ridiculous and inconclusive.
I got this book free so it passed a few hours and I did finish it so it's not that bad. I wouldn't pay for another book in the series but would probably read another if it were free.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyably Convoluted and Engrossing Suspense, 24 Feb 2013
Review of The Sholes Key by Clarissa Draper
Evans & Blackwell #1
5 stars

In this first of the Sophia Evans and Detective Inspector Theo Blackwell series, young single mothers are being targeted for abduction and subsequent killing. Blackwell understands it's a serial killer involved, but the puzzling numerical and later, alphabetic, codes left with the victims make no sense; until he meets a government-employed cryptanalyst, the brilliant, and beautiful, Sophie Evans, whose current personal life and work status are in turmoil as she had been ordered five months ago to go undercover. Sophie is tracking a businessman who MI5 believes to be the mastermind of a violent animal rights group, but she hasn't been able to discover the key to unlock the embedded emails ordering a new bombing target.

Theo Blackwell has a personal life in continuous turmoil. Years ago his beloved wife Agneta was struck by an intoxicated driver. She survived, but has no memory, much like an Alzheimer's patient. Associating with the beauteous Sophie reminds him of all he has lost, but he must persevere before this clever killer takes out any more mothers.