5.0 out of 5 stars great little boiler
Published 18 months ago by diamond

2.0 out of 5 stars Problem with burning heat plate
I like this product but at the same time I really hate it. It cooks great! but the biggest problem with this is when water evaporates the plate burns, which gives a nasty burning smell. It also leaves burning spots, which you need to clean often :-(

Published 5 months ago by quarkist

5.0 out of 5 stars great little boiler, 21 Oct 2012
diamond - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Shef Exclusive Electric Egg Boiler Cooker for up to 7 Eggs Stainless Steel construction produces 7 perfectly boiled eggs + Poacher & Steamer Attachment (Kitchen & Home)
It arrived quickly and well packed so of course I had to try it out straight away! It has detailed instructions and comes with water measuring jug which has an egg piercer at the bottom lovely touch! The only gripe I have is the markings on the water jug are practically impossible to see when you have added water as they are imprinted on the jug, so its all the same colour, there is no definate clear distinction as such and I am terrible with seeing things closer now as my eyes have aged!! Black markings would have been better for aging eyes me thinks! I mention this only as the whole device works on the amount of water you put in per egg ratio and firmness you require, as when it has run out of water the device switches off! First attempt we cooked 7 eggs and wished them to come out mediumsoft the lowest time to cook, but due to my poor eyesight we added too much water and we had medium hard not fully hard boiled but more set than we wished! So we have now marked the jug with a pen and on our second attempt we cooked perfect eggs so maybe just a problem I have with the measure in that I cant see the markings properley but thought I would mention it!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly well designed, but incredibly poor button., 23 Mar 2013
I'd been after a replacement for my old egg boiler for a while, and I finally chose this one because of the steel cover and unintrusive look. I think an opaque cover is important in an egg boiler as the tray and cover get dirty quickly. A transparent cover is the last thing you'd want if you like your kitchen to look tidy. My old egg boiler was the 2003-2004 Aldi one (also branded as Princess and Bosch) and it was incredible. This one isn't quite up to the mark, but I think that's just because the level indicators on the water cup aren't quite in the right place. Also the pin on the water cup is too thick and frequently smashes an egg. I need to find my old water cup. I hope I kept it.

Somewhere along the way, someone made a stupid decision. Not only did they add a chrome-plated surround for the on button, they used the single worse button you've ever touched. Quite how they found such a bad button, or why anyone makes one, is... another topic. I fully anticipate that in a few months I will have to replace the button with something sensible, and I might ditch the awful chrome plate while I'm at it. Chrome plating is incredibly bad for the environment and doesn't even look good. If they can ban 60W light bulbs they ought to ban chrome plating.

It comes with an egg poaching tray, but no instruction on how to use it. And it's not at all obvious either. There are only two options: on the steel tray or on the white plastic tray. I wonder which is right.

There's no alarm, but practically every other egg boiler sounds a siren when ready, and on those models it goes until you turn it off. I prefer the silent approach to the emergency approach, but a brief buzz might be nice. Maybe I'll add one when I replace that button.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good but needs a buzzer, 19 Jun 2012
As I am on a high protein diet I am eating a lot of eggs. The Habitat electric egg boiler cooker cooks eggs perfectly, the only thing missing is an audible alarm to let you know the eggs are cooked. That said it is an attractive appliance on the kitchen work top.

5.0 out of 5 stars great little gadget, 11 Jun 2012
this is a great little gadget and it actually works it boils your eggs bang on if your like me and boiling an egg was a very difficult process to get right this baby is for u i rate it 5*****

2.0 out of 5 stars Problem with burning heat plate, 22 Oct 2013

They could have use non burning heating plates, or a proper thermostat to avoid burning. But, for this price you might not expect much. People who do not like burning smell should stay away from this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent purchase, 4 Nov 2013
I am so happy with the egg boiler, how can people complain when it was priced so low.the fact that there is not a buzzer to advice that eggs are ready does not create a problem

5.0 out of 5 stars Eggs have never been simpler..., 22 May 2013
The price we got this Egg Cooker for was amazing - something like 8 down from 30. Don't know why the price was low as the product is excellent. We use it for softly boiled eggs each morning (as well hard boiling / steaming occasionally). The process is simple and most importantly consistent.

I am not the most alert human being first thing in the morning and I can use this product with my eyes closed. Literally, most mornings....

5.0 out of 5 stars soldiers here we come, 23 April 2013
Ms. G. E. Huxley (Manchester England) - See all my reviews
utterly utterly fab so easy to use makes perfect eggs as you want them from soft boiled to poached absolutly love it would reccomend to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant little cooker, 21 April 2013
Just tried this out and it works brilliantly. Perfect boiled (well, steamed) eggs. The table that states how much water to use in the guide is a little confusing, and the numbers on the measuring cup appear to be backwards or upside down. For example, 7 eggs measurement is at the bottom (less water) and 1 egg is at the top (more water). Just reverse the numbers in your mind and you're good to go.

The lid also makes a great bell / gong!

1.0 out of 5 stars Egg over cooker, 25 Nov 2012
The egg cooker supplied did not work properly. The indicator light did not work, therefore I could not determine the correct timing. The defective item was returned to the supplier, and three weeks later I have not received a replacement or refund

ARRAY(0xa7235fa8)