4.0 out of 5 stars A relatively light weight production of Goldman's drama
It is impossible for me to watch this Showtime remake of "The Lion in Winter" starring Glenn Close and Patrick Stewart without constantly comparing it to the 1968 theatrical film with Katharine Hepburn and Peter O'Toole. That was the first Hepburn film I ever saw and the way she delivers James Goldman's great lines (my favorite would be "I could peel you like a pear and...
Published on 18 Jun 2005 by Lawrance M. Bernabo

2.0 out of 5 stars A pale imitation of the original
Being a great fan of the original version of this film starring Peter O'Toole and Katherine Hepburn, I was quite excited about this remake - especially as I like a lot of Patrick Stewart's other work.

I have to say though that it's not a patch on the original, despite following the identical script. Stewart's and Close's acting is disappointingly wooden; this...
Published on 10 April 2011 by Hip of a Zep

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars A Lion In Winter re-make, 6 Oct 2012
Lionheart [DVD]
This is a total disappointment and I am in full agreement with what everyone else is saying here.
Listen very carefully and you can here the blunders of full modern english usage coming out in some of the scenes. Not necessary when some words used could have been more carefully reserched and given to the actors to recite in the script. I noticed this in a number of scenes but I am not going to list them all here. Watch the film for yourselves and then make up your own minds....but be warned firstly by reading all the reviews here.
I want my money back!

1.0 out of 5 stars As other viewers have stated this film has to be ..., 16 Aug 2014
This review is from: Lionheart [DVD] (DVD)
As other viewers have stated this film has to be the biggest load of rubbish I have ever seen on TV - don't bother.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite movies on DVD, 6 Mar 2010
I would like to review this DVD, may be this could be helpful for a decision of a future buyer. But in the first place because I'm really crazy about this movie on DVD. First I think, it made sense to mention in advance, that I'm german and normaly use DVD's in english language to keep practising it. So, I ask you to forgive me, if you find horrible mistakes by writing this. Ok, the movie: I expected an interesting and entertaining movie (although I like english history very much) and I got not disappointed. One thing but (not too important) would have me more delighted -> the subtitles in english. But besides that, it was/is for me a high quality, thrilling movie, all the characters are colorful, interesting and very well chosen. It was all in one: adventure, romantic, humor (a black one sometimes) and a tragedy at last. Of course, it depends on a true story - so it was in my opinion well made, I was able to imagine, how it looked in the 12th century -> the castle, the clothes, the court of Henry II. Not the Hollywood-made-ones, it was more realistic. I shivered, when I saw in the first scenes, when Henry awaked in the morning (wintertime)and he has first to break the ice in the washbowl, before he could get some water to wash his face. Uuuhhh, brrrr ! And I'm still laughing, when I remember a special scene with Eleanor and her sons -> first Jeffry joined his mother in her chamber, then John came, on purpose to be with his mother, who he loved and hated the same time, then Richard appears and he was moaning, that Henry II arrested them in the castle. Eleanor said, that this don't bother her, because she was arrested the last 10 years. No breaking news for her. And within this talk between them, John mentioned, that Richard lost all = the crown, the land, his father's love and so on... Richard got angry and took his knife to get after John, who ran and cried out loud -> ahh, he's killing me, he's got a knife ! And Eleanor said very calm and cool: of course, he has a knife, we all have knives, it is 1183 and we all are barbarians.... ! It hits me from my couch, every time, when I watched this special scene. But it is only one of many very interesting scenes in this movie. So, as you can hardly overlook, I'm really crazy about this movie, I watched it more then a half dozen times and I guess, not for the last time. If you are searching for a movie, which is interesting, has some action, shows love in different ways, which presented history in a convenient form, has actors which are really nice to look at -> I would like to recommend to you this movie. Hoping, you enjoy it as much as I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars lioness in winter!, 10 April 2011
glen close proves that she's a magnificent Actress (with capital A). if katharine hepburn got an oscar for her portrayal of alienor, glen close should get two!

5.0 out of 5 stars a great remake of the legendary 1968 movie, 3 Dec 2009
Amelrode (Vilvoorde) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
If a family meets for Christmas very often it ends in disaster as all the family troubles - not having been spoken about for the rest of the year and slowly poising everybody's mind - erupt.

Well, why should it be different in the Royal Family? But here it is worse than usual: the first Plantagenet King's family was known for its temperaments. Henry II and his consort Eleanor of Aquitaine and their sons Young King Henry, Geoffrey of Brittany, Richard the Lionheart and John Lackland are stuff for legends and endless books. On top the cousin of France poisons the atmosphere further. The struggle for power and crowns, greet, jealousy, hate and sexual lust are a powerful mixture which creates a most explosive atmosphere.

The legendary movie from 1968 with Katherine Hepburn and Peter O'Toole was one rare treat. So seeing it now with in the 2003 TV version was first astonishing and I had to get used to it as I was constantly comparing. I was comaring too much. But minute by minute the old movie faded and I was really enjoying this one. Patrick Stewart as King Henry II and Glenn Close as Queen Eleonor are great and on top I enjoyed Jonathan Rhys Meyers in his role as Philippe of France. Glenn Close Golden Globes are well deserved. All in all, an intense and enjoyable movie

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor in comparison to the original, 7 April 2007
Hisame (I am the Dragon from the desert who appears from nowhere and leaves no trace) - See all my reviews
The set is very steralised and makes me think not of a 12th century castle but an 80's photo shoot location. Alais' sulky pout got on my nerves and I longed for Eleanor, Henry or anyone to lock her up in the dungeon. Eleanor spends her time in tears and Patrick Stewart, while a fine actor, is script reading and delivers his role without conviction, unlike Peter O'Toole he didn't fit the part and seemed too mild to be Henry.

Richard speaks in a strange Irish\Welsh accent, Geoffrey, (when not strutting around looking like Da Vinci or some other renaissance painter), could give Alan Rickman's Sheriff of Nottingham a run for his money with that hair & beard combo and John - well John is just grotesque and comes across as the family Quasimodo. The only person I can really say anything for is Philippe - but then again he seems to think he's the lost brother of Hanson.

I was disapointed and felt flat after watching this so please, please watch the original first you won't be disapointed - as the original has actors with charasima who manage to make lines sound as if they where the first people to say it, not just script reading.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lion in winter, 11 Sep 2012
J. Matthews - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lionheart [DVD] (DVD)
Nothing could equal the original film with Peter O'toole and Katherine Hepburn, but this is a pretty good attempt. Not only are the leads fantastic, but the direction, music and design are pretty good. So, this is not a new film, but where the US release is only 167 mins, this is 252!

1.0 out of 5 stars Lion in winter 2003, 23 April 2010
Allan Pierce "Bilbo" (France) - See all my reviews
I bought both this and Peter OTools film of the same subject.
This film isn't anywhere as good and the acting not a patch .

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic bloody knight brilliance, 10 Aug 2012
This review is from: Lionheart [DVD] (DVD)
I was lucky enough to receive a press copy of this film. I have always been a fan of Patrick Stewart and he delivers in spades with this. The most messed up medieval family, sorting out their differences with epic bloody battles! Glenn close is back to her fatal attraction best and must be the ultimate matriarch. The pushy mums of today could learn a thing or two here! And Jonathan Reece Myers is simply a tour de force. In summary the best DVD of 2012 I have seen so far.

4.0 out of 5 stars STUNNING KNIGHT TALE!!, 12 Sep 2012
BA (South East) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lionheart [DVD] (DVD)
This was a real surprise. I bought it on the strength of the cast & they didn't dissapoint.
All are excellent, but Patrick Stewart steals every scene he's in, surely his best performance to date.
The script is excellent & the scenery absolutely stunning. A great Knight film, highly recommended

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 | Next ›

Lionheart [DVD]
Lionheart [DVD] by Andrei Konchalovsky (DVD - 2012)