Format: Audio CDChange

on 16 August 2012
Too often I find that recent albums from my favorite artists of the 70s either reach too far in trying to recapture the magic from those earlier times and end up sounding like a sad imitation, or are just lifeless attempts to cash in on their names. Happily, Grahan Gouldman of 10cc fame has produced an album of really good songs done in his own style. Clearly Mr. Gouldman knows how to write a catchy tune, and he provides a dozen very likeable songs on "Love and Work" - I was really surprised how strong these songs are. He's in great voice throughout and the production is top notch.

The album is dedicated to Andrew Gold, his one time partner in Wax, who sadly passed away last year. His paean to Gold, "Daylight", is very touching.

This is a class album from a real pro. He's not breaking any new ground here, but when pop music is done this well, people need to take notice.
on 4 October 2012
Bought this on the strength of the two earlier Amazon reviews and I listened to the CD in the car yesterday going to a football match. It's very good indeed! The opening track "The Halls of Rock n' Roll" is excellent melodically and lyrically and the album just carries on that way. I was stuck in traffic which can make me impatient about what I'm listening to but as this CD played on I could only think how good each track was. Sound quality and production is superb - there's some lovely melodic guitar inter-play work. The whole thing is a gem. Probably won't be bought by many but that's their loss.

....and Graham - thanks for "Bus Stop", "No Milk Today" and "Pamela Pamela" - as good as anything from the Sixties (Beatles excluded....). Happy memories.
Being a long-time admirer of 10CC, I was interested to see that Graham Gouldman was releasing a solo album, but knowing that success, both commercial and critical, had been elusive for any of the ex-10CC members for many years, I wasn't sure how good this album would be. Anyone who knows anything about Graham knows what a superb songwriter he has been throughout his life, penning such classics as "For Your Love", "Bus Stop", "No Milk Today" and, of course, a considerable amount of 10CC's almost peerless hits. One of the best things about this album is that it demonstrates the quality and craft of Graham's art and, in fact, it's an absolute gem. Admittedly, it doesn't break any new ground, it is simply an album full of lovely sounding, intelligent pop/rock songs. "Daylight", written for his former, sadly departed, Wax collaborator, Andrew Gold, is a gorgeous, breezy, feel-good composition and "Let Me Dream Again", another one of my favourites from the album, is a jangly slice of intelligent pop which could have been taken from George Harrison's "Cloud Nine" album. The acoustic guitar and string quartet-led "Lost In The Shadows Of Love" is a truly beautiful ballad, as is the touching "Memory Lane", and the instrumental, "Black Gold", is a truly pleasing Shadows-esque toe-tapper. Graham is in fine voice throughout the album, with his vocals sounding like a mix of Gerry Rafferty and Edwyn Collins, strong, yet with a tiny hint of frailty. The glory days of 10CC may be long gone, but this album really does depict a classic songwriter in one of the richest veins of form of his life.
on 6 September 2012
A wonderfully crafted and melodic album from a truly great songwriter.Great production and some very catchy tunes from the former 10cc man
on 8 July 2014
Generally when I buy a CD, I find there are some very good tracks (well I do buy the CD because I like the artist!), but there are often also a few 'album fillers', mediocre songs which are OK but nothing special. And then, once in a while, I find a CD which is pure class music without one weak track. Love and Work is the first CD I've found like this for quite a while. Graham Gouldman is a national treasure, except the nation doesn't seem to realise waht we have. McCartney, Jagger, Bowie, Elton John are all feted, but Graham Gouldman goes his own way quietly just getting on with making his music. Wake up people - this guy is a genius with all the hits he has written (for 10cc and beyond) and he still has it.

This CD is one class song after another. But the absolute highlight for me must be 'Putting my faith in love' - one of the best songs I've heard for many years. Do yourself a favour and listen to the excerpts on Amazon, and if it's your sort of thing, buy the CD.

I met Graham at an acoustic gig in Bath recently - what a lovely guy (and a great gig). Sometimes your heroes do not disappoint. Sorry if this review seems a bit biased, but I am, and I have hardly been playing anything else in the last few months!

This is his first solo CD for 12 years. Don't leave it so long next time Graham, please.
on 19 September 2013
One of the finest songwriters of our era, I had to buy this after I saw him in concert at our local theatre with the current incarnation of 10cc. After you listen to this a couple of times and remember the stories he told on stage about the songs, it showcases his talent perfectly. He's a great guitarist as well!
on 2 November 2013
Well crafted songs reminiscent of his 10CC era. Consistent throughout. Not a bad track on the cd. Only 4 stars as no single outstanding classic track.
on 26 October 2012
Graham Gouldman is a National Treasure. This is a fine collection of songs from a fine composer.
If you manage to get to one of the current 10cc live shows some of the tracks on this album will be familiar from the
excellent 'acoustic first half'.
It has hints of Paul McCartney, Squeeze and Gerry Rafferty, but is distinctly Gouldman.

Give this album a try, it's a refreshing gem.
on 23 May 2013
I would not have got this prior to seeing GG and his latest 10cc incarnation on tour last year. These songs still have a 60s and 70s vibe in their construction and many feel like old friends after 2 or 3 listens. Tender ballads and catchy mid tempo tunes alternate and there are heartfelt lyrics along the way, especially in remembrance of his former partner in Wax, Andrew Gold who left us far too soon.
on 30 December 2012
This album is a great listen and continues this artists amazing string of work through 10cc, Wax and his underrated solo offerings. Looking forward to the live acoustic sessions in the spring when hopefully many of these fine tracks will be given an airing. Beautifully produced with some lovely guitar work, highlights include Ariella, Then Its Gone and Let Me Dream again. Nice work Graham....