on 10 June 2013
I'm all for reading young adult books, even though I'm 36, as some of them are right up there with main stream adult fiction for pure entertainment. Alex Scarrow, Mark Walden, Carl Ashmore & J K Rowling spring to mind.

I was attracted to this book after seeing it in my local library with the tag line "The Da Vinci Code for kids".

In a nutshell, a secret group of code breakers recruit a group of talented kids to hopefully crack an unbreakable code whilst another group try to stop them.

There's a nice mix of characters, particularly the kids, and the story moves at a fairly speedy pace. The one thing I felt was lacking, however, was any threat to our heroes. The "baddies" aren't particular sinister or menacing (kids book, I know, but you still need danger) and I felt it could have benefitted from a "Silas" type character.

I did enjoy this book and I'll definitely read the next. Just hope there's a little more danger to it.
VINE VOICEon 17 April 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Hi, I love books like this along with a good murder mystery. This is a really good storyline which keeps you interested from beginning to the very end. It has a few twists and turns too which is always good.

Although it is a Da Vinci Code for Kids book, I really enjoyed it and it was very easy reading. Well worth a read.
VINE VOICEon 1 June 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was really impressed with this book - I was expecting something fairly simple and with more emphasis on the codes and puzzle aspect than on the story, so I was pleasantly surprised to find that the writing is skilful and enjoyable. The rattling pace of the plot, as the three young secret breakers race to uncover the hiding place of the fabled MS 408, means that there's not too much time for deep characterisation, but there is enough to make us like the characters. I especially liked that the adults were well-drawn, with interesting back stories and more than enough hints and mystery surrounding them to make me want to buy the next book. The many factual elements behind the main plot will surely have lots of kids googling happily for more info about the historical context involved, which is great, and the codes are well foreshadowed so that young readers can be just one step ahead of the characters in working things out. Great book, equally enjoyed by myself and my kids.
VINE VOICEon 5 December 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The first in the 'Secret Breakers' series, 'The Power of Three' introduces us to Brodie Bray, a young girl who is invited to join a mysterious code cracking school in order to help solve one of the most difficult enigmas the world had ever known - the Voynitch Manuscript.

'Secret Breakers' is a great, fast paced, fun and fascinating read! I enjoyed unravelling the coded clues along with Brodie and loved the way both fiction and fact had been woven together to create a well developed background and history for the plot. The cast of characters alongside Brodie are a great mix too, adding both humour and mystery.

The book is aimed at 10-15 year olds but, as an adult, I still enjoyed reading it and am looking forward to the next in the series, 'Orphan of the Flames!'
on 8 September 2012
Described as the Da Vinci code for kids, this is the first in a series about three kids who are head hunted by former members of the Black Chamber at Bletchley Park to solve codes and find a lost "key" to solving the riddle of MS408 also known as th Voynich Manuscript (a real manuscript which was the inspiration for the book). Reasonably fast paced, with lots of different codes and a few drawings, it's plausible and interesting, and for anyone interested in code breaking, introduces lots of avenues to explore. Can be read by adults as well, although a couple of times I was ahead of them in solving the next stage - this didn't detract from the enjoyment of the story. I'm now intrigued to see where we're going with the story as MS408 has never been cracked!!!!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 30 December 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Brilliant first book in this series! It's aimed at ages 10-13 and upwards (I think) but I thoroughly enjoyed it from an adult perspective. It's so good.

It's billed as The Davinci Code for kids and that may be true, it's got puzzles to solve and secret mysteries and shadowy villains etc so it's similar, but just because it's aimed at a younger audience doesn't mean it's been simplified or dumbed down. It's just as exciting and engrossing for older readers too.

There are lots of similar adventure book series around at the moment and this one can stand shoulder to shoulder with the best of them.

I'm out of the age bracket but I'm really looking forward to getting the next in the series to see where things are headed.
VINE VOICEon 16 April 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
i loved this book. its got a great story that will lead YA on a journey that will inspire and intrigue everyone who reads it! it captivates from the first page to the last and has a great mix of characters.
on 16 September 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As I've previously been intrigued by the Voynich Manuscript, I was keen to read H L Dennis' take on it in fiction.

This is best for younger readers, probably ideal for 9-11 year-olds. The main characters are very well fleshed out and memorable, and the background to the story incredibly well researched - and explained without ever feeling like an info dump. Generally the locations were brilliantly described - I now want to visit Brighton's Royal Pavilion - but in one or two places (only) the writing didn't paint enough of a picture for me to see what was going on. Well paced and gripping, I recommend this highly.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A short spell of `Googling' will demonstrate to readers just how much of `The Power of Three' is fact - not merely the existence of the encrypted Voynich Manuscript but also historical events as burning of Louvain Library, establishment of Station X etc., actual places as Bletchley Park, Brighton Royal Pavilion etc., real people as Van der Essen, William Friedman etc., and published literature or music as Le Morte D'Arthur, Enigma Variations etc. Around this reality author H L Dennis skilfully weaves a fascinating fictional story involving 3 children and personnel from Bletchley who combine as a team to find the truth - Veritas. They set out to solve what has puzzled and defeated the best of code-breakers over the years, but the Voynich Manuscript has been put off limits and to proceed they must break rules. This injects tension into the story and it exposes the team to dangers - and it makes a cracking code-cracker of a novel!

The Voynich Manuscript dates back to the 15th century and it is written in some secret script of unknown language with obscure and unascertained illustrations. At the core of `The Power of Three' is fictional new evidence to suggest a form of code-book exists, and the team must deal with this before tackling the original manuscript. This allows H L Dennis to outline a diversity of strategies in code-breaking, and in addition to the gripping text he introduces illustrations (by Meggie Dennis) consistent with the historical aspect. These include numerous diagrams, sketches, doodlings etc. demonstrating a variety of codes and indicating thought patterns for unlocking and solving clues, and it is possible for readers to interpret evidence as the narrative progresses. The imaginative and intriguing story of `The Power of Three' continues to excite and entertain up to a satisfactory conclusion that sets the scene for a sequel - promoted as `The Orphan of The Flames' - and it's on my wish list!
on 9 September 2014
O wow! If you want an excellent book full of mystery this is for you! I bought it girls my almost 10 year old son to read on his kindle but added it to mine for a flick through to see what it was like. We'll neither of us could put it down and it prompted lots of discussion between us! You literally want to read on to find out! It's quite a challenging read fir a child, but that adds to the appeal in my sons opinion, but he is a confident reader. I heard it was a Divinci code for kids. Just save it for the holidays unless you want your child up all night reading!!!