Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.31

on 19 April 2004
Maggie Gee has pulled off a remarkable piece of writing in The Flood. She manages to juggle serious political issues, a HUGE cast of characters and a highly interconnected plot-line with verve and flair. The Flood never falls short of being gripping.
The world of the novel is a very plausible version of our own, where global climate change and political instability combine to create a firghtened world on the blink. The president Mr Bliss is a convincing spawn of our own Mr Blair and the characters are ourselves in slightly more tense circumstances: war is raging in the hotter continents and conscription is being rumoured all to deflect attention from the political turmoil at home, where constant rain threatens our whole infrastructure. But for some life goes on, gilded gondolas carry the rich to the opera house across the flooded streets, books are written, read and published. There's a particularly enjoyable satire of modern publishing running through the book as well. I think there is something of Doris Lessing's post-apocalyptic Mara and Dann and Gee confidently knocks spots off the clunky satire of JG Ballard's Millenium People.
The book is definitely a 'message' book - but what makes it so wonderful is the living breathing characters that populate it so amply. My best read of the year so far. It would also be a great one for a reading group to get its teeth into.
on 14 May 2004
This novel portrays in full glowing detail the lunacy, mendacity and life-diminishing triviality of the modern urban world, through whose awful pall appear here and there shafts of golden humanity. The widow repining for her adored Alfie, who had been a park keeper, measuring everything against his principled standards and blaming herself for the failings of her disturbed son. The celebrity who leaves the care of her precocious daughter to her parents while vaunting herself as a 'caring mother', then overhears a wounding remark and guiltily recognizes that she has deprived her daughter of what she needs most. The abject hopelessness of the poor who return to filthy tower blocks after cleaning the houses of the privileged. The myopic smugness of the in-crowd; the inflated egos and competitive jealousies of political, literary and art world media icons. The intensity of language is such that, at a certain point, the reader recognizes that he is reading poetry; not prose, then slows his pace and pronounces each word to savour the cadences. The book concludes by endorsing Love as the one value that redeems awfulness. Fellow authors (of which I am one) will envy Maggie Gee her talent. I suspect that no one else could have depicted this subject so accurately and with such delicate and indefatigable wit. She has found just the right form, just the right words and just the right story, a majestic achievement.
on 11 December 2013
Very fast moving and exciting story but perhaps a little too long and drawn out in some chapters which could have been shorter
on 13 April 2014
Was what I wanted arriving very quickly I shall be using this again when needed. good response time to my order
on 1 October 2013
Heavy reading. Too many persons. Read a page and then you come up to another person and don't know who they are. I am disappointed with it. Pleased when I get to the end. Won't give up.
on 28 January 2013
Cleverly written how the characters interlink. I enjoyed it but wasn't desperate to pick it up to read. Not as good as The Ice People.
on 16 May 2011
Some of the characters from the White Family pop up again. Its another analysis of life in the modern world, again with some over-laboured points and analogies with the 'real world' (its set in a fictional place). A page turner nonetheless
on 2 May 2005
Having never read anything by this author before I didn't really know what to expect. I can say honestly that this is the best book I've read in ages.
The flooded city and its inhabitants seem very real. The reader is led through the story by the every day events and interactions of an array of characters whose lives overlap ina complex web that they are unaware of. Most of teh characters seem to live fairly normal lives, but throughout the book is the sense that underneath it all something isn't quite right.
The book is never boring, and I was riveted to every page. My only criticism would be the rather obvious Iraq comparison which doesn't really add much to the story in my opinion.
I'd highly recommend this book to anyone.
on 26 April 2004
As the previous reviewer has set the scene for you, you will have a tasteof what the book is about. In addition, I would say that this book is alsoa modernisation of the Noah's Ark flood.
Although the book may be clever, it is also a deeply depressing book whichbuilds up the pressure gradually.
I was pleased to revisit some characters from her previous novels, and inthis respect the book started a bit like a visit to old friends; however,I found that the further I went in reading the story the more and moredepressed I became.
In summary, I would only recommend this book if you are of an ironconstitution and feeling happy and optimistic. For all others the bookshould have a health warning ' DO NOT READ UNLESS ON VALIUM '. You havebeen warned!