4.0 out of 5 stars Works pretty well!
It was with some trepidation that we set forth with the Crock-Pot for the first time this evening. My partner, for whom this was a Christmas present, has been on a mission for a long time to cook the perfect rice so this was baptism by fire for the Crock-Pot.

Published on 27 Dec. 2012 by A. O. J. Evans

3.0 out of 5 stars Cooks perfect Rice but has a few flaws.
Published 20 months ago by R.G.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works pretty well!, 27 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Crock-Pot 0.6L Rice Cooker Grey (Kitchen & Home)

The first point I would note is that the instructions aren't that clear. Fortunately it's obvious what needs to go where but there is no mention of how much rice to allow for one person nor how long it will take to cook. So we decided to test this to the max and went for the three cups of rice/six cups of water.

Using the maximum amount filled the Pot to the brim and this was a little concerning but we decided to roll with it. I can now report that calculation is just a smidge off. Right at the end of the cooking process there was rice and boiling water spitting out from under the bouncing lid - and it was very hot. I would suggest if you are using 3 cups of rice then 2.5/2.75 cups of water would probably be sufficient and that should be OK, but be careful!

However, it has to be said that the rice was cooked superbly and we were suitably impressed.

As to how much to allow per person, one cup holds five ounces of rice which is 140g. Most rice packets say to use 75g per person so I would advise that 1 cup is sufficient for two people with a regular appetite, 1.5 cups for a more healthy appetite.

Length of time to cook was roughly 30 minutes.

Definitely a worthwhile purchase for it's rice-cooking ability and very happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adorable and Useful Machine, 28 Jan. 2014
Miss R. S. Wood (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Having read a mixed bag of reviews on this cooker when I first decided to buy it I finally decided to do a summary/review of my experiences with it since it arrived (a week or so ago) - I hope this helps future buyers.

1) Issues of it boiling over

This was one thing mentioned in several other reviews and it has been the only problem I have experienced so far - and only once. I was cooking short grain rice (1 cup with 2 cups of water). I have since found several easy solutions.

1 - wash the rice thoroughly to get rid of extra starch.
2 - use a little less water for short grain rice or at least play around a little to get the perfect mix.
3 - (and this is the most important one) The cooker comes with a steamer tray that you sit on top to steam vegetables. Place this on top when cooking (between pot and lid) EVEN IF you are not using it. I found it instantly prevented any of the bubbling water reaching the top edge and spilling over. Though if steps 1 and 2 have worked, this shouldn't happen to any great degree anyway.

I have had no issues with this since I made these changes.

2) Size & Style

It looks absolutely gorgeous, is dead easy to clean (non stick coating - never use metal on it or it will wear off but if you treat it nice its great) and it is tiny and very easy to carry around.

3) Time & Rice

First off I'd like to say that whilst the manual suggests one cup of rice = a one person serving I would suggest that half a cup is nearer what you want, unless you are eating nothing but rice. This means this steamer could happily do quite a lot of rice for a group of people.

I tend to cook half a cup of short grain rice with one cup of water and the average cooking time is 15 minutes. I tried brown rice (half a cup with one and a half cups of water) and it was between 20 and 25 minutes. Both came out very nice. I can really, really recommend chucking in some desiccated coconut, a spoonful of honey and a few cardamom pods with the rice then letting it all cook together it is gorgeous.

Steaming veg in the steamer is good but quite slow, so you want to put the veg on early. On a side note, it was also really useful at keeping vegetables warm in the main pot too.

Really, I think this is a great piece of kit and I look forward to trying loads more recipes, not just rice. Particularly good if you are a student. It's gone up by a tenner but is still a great price for a neat little cooker.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great so far..., 11 Dec. 2012
I bought a Lloytron E807 0.8l Rice Cooker a year ago and it gave up after 30 or so uses, so I wanted to find something similar on Amazon that was a bit tougher as I don't want to keep on shelling out for simple rice cookers.

I bought the red/burgundy Croc - Pot and have now used it five times, so here is some initial feedback which I hope will help others.

* The measuring cup is 5 fluid ounces and all the help in the manual is based on the measurements of this cup.
* One cup of uncooked jasmine rice makes two cups of cooked rice
* Each cup of jasmine rice needs two cups of water added to it
* Each cup of brown rice needs three cups of water added to it
* The maximum capacity is 3 cups of uncooked rice (6 cups of cooked jasmine rice)
* After 15 minutes, you need to stir the rice. The average of my 5 completed cooking times has been 22 minutes
* This rice cooker makes far less noise than the previous one and does not splutter or put pressure on the lid whilst cooking
* When the rice is cooked, the pot automatically switches from "cook" to "warm".
* The "inner pot" which holds the rice does not appear to be non stick but the rice does not stick to it
* I would say the rice could be called "sticky". The last time, I put a bit less water in the pot and the rice was a little less sticky
* For softer rice, put the water and rice together in a pot to soak for 15-20 minutes before cooking
* Left over rice can be reheated in the pot by adding a quarter of a cup of water per cup of cooked rice
* I steamed mixed vegetables and broccoli on their own. Add about a third of a cup of water and it takes 35 minutes to steam 300g of veg.
* The Croc - Pot came with a 2 year guarantee which I liked and it takes up about the same amount of space on my counter as the kettle
* The rice is delicious but don't forget to wash your rice thoroughly before it goes into the Croc - Pot or the starch will make you ill !!!!!

UPDATE. Two years later and the Croc Pot is still going strong! The pot itself has not been damaged in any way despite being used three times a week and the rice does not have a crusty bottom if you put enough water in and remember to stir it after 12-15 minutes. This was a really good buy, I simply did not expect it to work as well two years down the road as it did when it was new and it has no scratches/cracks etc.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cooks perfect Rice but has a few flaws., 20 Aug. 2013
This is a good little cooker for the money and it always makes delicious and perfectly cooked rice. However, the steam hole in the lid isn't sufficient to let enough steam escape so the water boils over and leaks out. I simply put the rice cooker on a large plate to catch any over spill. The non stick coating also wore off the inside after 6 months. I contacted customer who were excellent and sent me new bowl to replace it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 15 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Crock-Pot 0.6L Rice Cooker Grey (Kitchen & Home)
Lovely , perfect size rice cooker , it helps me alot . I don't have to waste food . Just the right quantity for my family . We are family of four. And it does not take much space in the kitchen .

5.0 out of 5 stars Rice cooker, 30 Jun. 2013
Super product, not only cooks rice, but can steam spinach and broccoli to perfection. I recommend it to anyone who cooks for 4 or less.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rice cooker, 10 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Crock-Pot 0.6L Rice Cooker Grey (Kitchen & Home)
Ideal for cooking small quanity rice meals
Space saver
The top shelf as a steamer cooked my marinated chicken very well
Will try to steam fish this way as well

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT RICE COOKER ....AND ATTRACTIVE COLOUR, 26 April 2014
I've always used this size rice cooker for many years and felt it was about time I bought a new one. I was hoping this new rice cooker would be as excellent as my old one.....and yes it was...perfect fluffy rice!!!. I have read all the review and I really don't understand how other users cook their rice but as a oriental myself, the secret is to fill water up to the first line of your index finger. Put your finger on top of the rice in the rice cooker (make sure rice is levelled first), if the water touches your index line then that's sufficient water. Too much water, it'll become messy whilst cooking, too little it'll burn the bottom. So about an 1" water above rice for thai rice and long grains. However, for basmatic rice would take just a bit more water. Hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for porridge too., 28 Dec. 2013
I had initially got this item as a small slow cooker (as we were making porridge in our slow cooker but it seemed excessive using a 4.7ltr cooker for two) or so I thought, but they run quite differently. Can't fault the product just my understanding of it. So after a lot of boil overs the way that works for us is:

For one person
3/4 cup of porridge oats
2 and a 1/4 cups of water

You can soak them in the cooker overnight or use straight away. Turn on the cooker and cook for 15 minutes, stir the porridge then turn off the cooker and let it sit for 5. Perfect;)

As a rice cooker we just followed the directions in the manual and perfect rice every time. Well perfect for us as in a little sticky.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rice cooker, 2 Jan. 2013
A very handy gadget. Cooks rice to perfection, with very little input from the cook. Loved the colour and the size of it. Enough rice for two.

Crock-Pot 0.6L Rice Cooker Grey