5.0 out of 5 stars No-nonsense winner

3.0 out of 5 stars Flexible, reasonable second security
Published on 1 July 2011 by London Nige

5.0 out of 5 stars No-nonsense winner, 17 Feb. 2010
J. Hudson "J. Landi" (UK) - See all my reviews
I've been using the same lock on the same bike lock regularly in central London for 4 years now with no problem at all which is remarkable. I've left it overnight on many occasions and it's still been there in the morning and no-one ever seems to have tampered with it. The mechanism is clunky but works perfectly despite being dropped and knocked about untold times. It fits around the frame, wheel and most street fixing points with no difficulty.
The only small drawback is that it doesn't have a specific frame mount but it hangs fine over my bars with the lower end just clear of the front wheel.
All in all a highly recommended item to protect your precious bike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent thief prtection, 24 Sept. 2011
Marc (London UK) - See all my reviews
For those who have reviewed this lock and mentioned the difficult locking mechanism and given it a rating of one star... who dresses you each morning? Yes the lock isn't a simple 1/4 turn type, it does require a full turn and the key must be fully inserted before you turn - that's it, it really isn't that difficult.

I've been using this on my motorcycle in central London for around 5 years now, and never had a problem... it stays exposed to the rain and other elements all year round, and the most I've done to it is a quick squirt of WD40 once in a blue moon.

While this is a secure lock, don't be fooled to think that it will fight off all attacks... if a determined thief wants your bike, they'll have it.... but you can make it difficult for them with this Abus.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well, it thwarted my thief!, 16 April 2012
Like other reviewers have commented, this lock can be clunky to lock and unlock. It's also not the sort of thing you'd take on a ride with you due to its size, weight and shape.

Having said that, mine has withstood a screw driver, being jammed with screws and being repeatedly smashed with a brick. The brick came off worse and I still have my bike, which is suppose means that its done its job : )

I now need to remove the lock from the bike, which still has a screw in it. Hmmm.... Comments from other reviewers re Abus service has given me second thoughts about whether the replacement will be an Abus lock though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Lock, Great Cable, But...., 22 April 2012
S. Cameli "Lasareath" (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
a little tough to maneuver the cable through tight passage ways but once it is locked it seems to be very secure. I bought the 80cm version which is 31.5", it's great because I can store it inside one of my Panniers while I am Striding. If I am striding locally I only bring the ABUS lock but if I am Striding in neighborhoods that I don't know or may be a little ghetto I'll bring a TiGr Lock with me and a Grade 12 kryptonite U lock as well. 3 locks are better than one!

Here's a pic of the Abus on my StreetStrider tied to a flag pole at my local McDonalds [...]

3.0 out of 5 stars Flexible, reasonable second security, 1 July 2011
IMO this is a flexible secondary lock, to work in conjunction with a more secure quality D-Lock. One on the front wheel, frame and post, and one on the rear wheel, frame and post. Not as a secure as a quality D-lock (such as Abus' own Granit X Plus D-lock, which is lighter to carry, more secure and cheaper) as apparently it can be hand-cropped - but would still need big bolt cutters! Pricy for what it is, but it can go round wider posts and fixed points than a D-lock.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bomb proof, 17 Feb. 2014
A really good lock. It is heavy duty, robust and feels very secure. The lock is sturdy and finish makes me believe it is very well made. It was a relatively good price. The only downside is carrying it but it is not too difficult to wear it over your shoulder or put it in your bag if it is a decent sized bad. It is a heavy lock but this is what I wanted. I would definitely recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard as nails, 16 July 2013
This lock is one of the toughest available, as it's rated gold by Sold Secure. It's also really flexible, and allows the cyclist to wear it round the waist or shoulder. It's also possible to wear a secondary lock dangling from this if you need to fasten both wheels.
It has much more reach than a D-lock and can easily fit round thick lamp posts.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit too heavy to be carring around. Doesnt ..., 6 Feb. 2015
A bit too heavy to be carring around. Doesnt really have a dedicated attachment to the bit and since it is hard to bend, you have to think where to fit it. Also inserting key to open/close can be cluncky in winter (ie with gloves).

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete waste of money and time, 20 April 2010
Had this lock for 6 months. The lock has jammed on numerous occasions and now the key has snapped in the lock with no excessive force used. Abus and the UK distributor offer no assistance and I have had to pay for a locksmith. Terrible customer service. I bought this lock to replace a Kryptonite which never gave me any trouble but didn't look as bulky. I will use Kryptonite locks from now on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pukka Lock, 29 Dec. 2014
Good thick cable, does it's job timeless..