on 24 March 2014
Jazz IIIs are renowned for their accuracy, stiffness and ease of playing quickly. So what would Petrucci bring to the formula?

The Petrucci Jazz III is made from Ultex, and in size it's a touch larger than the regular Jazz III. A little thicker, and somewhere in between the regular Jazz III and the XL in size. The result is that they're a bit more comfortable to hold than the smaller Jazz III while still retaining the feel, and the polished Ultex tip skips across the strings fantastically well.

If there's any downside at all its that they're slightly less grippy than most Jazz IIIs. The JP logo is the same on both sides, and gives you slightly less to grip onto than the Dunlop and Jazz III logos on the other Jazz picks. The Ultex material around the gripping area is slightly rough, but I find it doesn't make much difference to the grip. At first I thought that the slightly more slippery feeling was going to stop me from liking these, but it didn't take too long for me to get used to them and now I barely notice it. I've adopted them as my pick of choice, hence the 5 stars.
on 30 September 2015
I have been using Dunlop tortex 2mil picks for about ten years and couldn't envisage straying from them for a long time... But a friend recommended these to me a little while back, and they happily popped up in my suggestions, so I bought them on a whim. It took me a couple of tracks to settle in with them fully, but I think I have made the switch for good now - I am VERY impressed with these picks.

They are significantly smaller than my previous workhorses and have a grip finish that I guess is designed to make it a little easier to keep hold of them in sweaty gig situations - never a bad thing! I was worried that the smaller size might make keeping hold of them (I have wide thumb/fingertips!) problematic, but on the contrary, these are very usable even with sausage fingers like mine. The defined point of the pick (way more sharp than other Dunlops) means attack is clean, crisp and needs to be much more precise than with other picks that allow for (and cover) a bit of sloppiness. The coating on the pick-tip makes skipping over the strings in lead breaks very, very easy.

Overall, I am greatly impressed. I shall be sticking with these for a while to come.
on 31 January 2014
Great picks for fast light work. Better feel than the yellow ultex picks and have the advantage of no going 'chameleon' on you when you want to find them!
on 20 March 2016
I always use Jazz III picks for my guitar playing and being a massive Dream Theater fan I thought I had to try these.
They are slighty bigger than regular Jazz III picks and are almost as slippy as the red ones.
There is just something about them that feels uncomfortable to me when im using them, I much prefer the white or the see through yellow Jazz III picks.
The black Jazz III picks normally have a bit extra grip on them however these dont and since they are black they are very hard to find if you drop one on stage and since they are so slippy I find this happens more than I would like.
They are very well made and have John Petruccis logo on them but they are not for me.
If you like your Jazz III picks give them a try but I will be sticking with my regular white Jazz III's
on 8 December 2013
For a guitar player of metal and rock, these picks are perfect.

Slightly larger than fiddly little Jazz IIIs, but not much thicker. The smooth surface of the pointed end allows for smoother soloing too.

Kudos to Petrucci and Dunlop here
on 4 January 2014
started off useing the purple tortex picks so there was a transition period . after a few weeks of using them i'm finally "getting to grips with them" lol, the main thing is they have got better clarity
on 25 January 2015
I thought that if they were good enough for JP then they were good enough for me. Wrong.
As soon as I held one of these I could tell straight away that it was not for me. It just feels so slippery. They're made out of ultex, but I find the regular ultex jazz III's much better. On the plus side, the tip allows for fast and smooth lead playing.
Maybe they will grow on me, as other reviewers have experienced, but I have other plectrums that fell better for me.
on 22 July 2015
Good pick, comfortable to use. The raised logo isn't as grippy as I expected but it's as easy to hold onto as my old tortex picks, despite it's smaller size and it's great for general single note/double stop/power chord riffing. I'd look for something else if you're doing lot of strumming though. A few weeks of daily use and it's not visibly worn at all which is great.
on 26 November 2015
Awesome guitar picks for electric and acoustic. I've been a long time user of Jazz III picks as they give you greater control when alternate picking. The John Petrucci edition are a little thicker and the JP logo makes it harder to lose your grip. They're expensive plectrums, no doubt about it, but I've consistently purchased these picks for two years now.
on 12 October 2013
Many centuries ago twas written in the stone that a plectrum would be forged unlike any crafted before... Harnessing the ancient wisdom of the druids and modern high performance polymer molding techniques, the prophecy has been realised... Behold!! The John Petrucci Jazz iii. Swift like a griffin and steadfast as the kraken this enchanted pick will unlock the forbidden melodies from thy lute that will leave the maidens moist and wanting! It's also quite good for sweep picking.