on 12 September 2013
The book is split in two (in my opinion): the first part explains everything about the window functions implementation in SQL Server 2012 (and also what is missing still from the standard); the second part is about optimizing window functions.

However, it's one of those books that is so well written, that you just read it once, grasp the concepts, and never look back to it. I got the paperback, but now after reading it I wish I had bought the Kindle version.

As a SQL Server Professional, I rate it 4 stars, mainly because most of the stuff in the first part can be found on the Internet (up to a certain extent) or in other books Itzik wrote, but definitely the second part (Optimizations) it's pure Itzik magic that you won't find easily on Google.

Plenty of example code, explanations and lessons to be learnt in this book. Also some shockers (eg. when a RBAR cursor is faster than a set based approach), and even more shockers (I'll let you find out).

Must buy (on Kindle).
on 29 July 2013
This book makes it easy to understand TSQL Window functions, explaining which functions implemented in the SQL Standard and explaining each function and how they are implemented in all the most commonly used database management systems including Oracle,Mysql but concentrating on Microsoft SQL Server.
Explaining each function in detail with some useful real-world uses that you will be able to adapt for your applications and databases.
on 23 February 2013
Lots of info here about windowing function BUT its gets quite annoying learning all about a function only to find it isnt implemented in SQL 2012. This is a SQL2012 book, stick to SQL 2012 concepts. Too much "this isnt included in SQL 2012 but Im going to talk about it anyway" and "wouldnt it be cool if SQL did these things"
on 16 July 2012
This is a great book that I am learning lots from. As I implement these new techniques my query performance is improving massively and my SQL is easier to read and maintain!