on 22 June 2009
This is such a useful book, you need to be able to do basic crochet though, as it doesn't describe how to do the simple stuff. But the patterns amd motifs are fantastic, best I have ever seen. The colours are lovely and appealing; the diagrams are schematic and if you are used to that way of working, it can speed it up, but the written explanations are excellent too. Recommend to anyone who wants to go beyond the square !
on 29 October 2009
Firstly it uses American terms, so beware
Secondly, the shapes aren't a consistent size so fitting several designs together can be a problem which means it's not for total beginners who feel they can't work without a pattern as you'll need to enlarge some to fit.

Apart from that, this book and Jan Eaton's 200 blocks book taught me to crochet, so buy both and you're away.
on 11 December 2008
I am a beginner and am finding this book really great and the instructions are easy to follow- am also a visual learner and maybe thats why I loved it. I hardly read the "written" instruction. I read th ediagrams and they are very helpful.

The book starts with the basics (yarn, sizing, reading chats and joining motifs..)and with some tips and tricks as how to solve/avoid common problems (cupped/ruffled circles, edgings ... ). Then it moves on to motifs. I liked the half-circle and the unusual shapes- It gave me an idea on how to make parts of a motif and that can become handy when you want to make large projects like a sweater (to join in parts, that is).

I also liked it for one important reason- I could actually make those shapes. Some of the other books I tried were all too fancy and the projects were a bit intimidating for a beginner--actually I dont feel like a beginner anymore now that I've made three projects- one more practical thing, I liked the book layout. its spiral bound which makes it easy to work and in the same time keep an eye on the diagram/instructions.

And the colors! I loved the color combinations in this book! and they were many ideas as well- I loved crocheting pockets for my jeans- it was fun.

Have fun!
11 comment|159 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 August 2009
This book demonstrates the truth of the saying that the people of the UK and US are separated by a common language. Having taught myself to crochet by working through every one of Jan Eaton's 200 crochet squares, I thought I would have a go at something that wasn't square, so I got this book. Immediately confusing was the fact that, in American, the stitches are not only differently named but are sort of 'moved down one' from English stitches. E.g., what, in English, is a double crochet is single crochet in American. English treble is American double, and so on. Also, I found this author's writing rather incomprehensible at times. I found myself reading and rereading sentences again and again trying to extract the meaning. The accompanying photos were't particularly helpful.
Having said that, the book does contain some very clever and useful tips for making your crochet look better and neater. For example, how to make the joins in rounds less conspicuous. And the motifs themself are very pretty. So far, though, I have only made a few because I find it so tiring trying to figure out what the author is saying.
If you are American, this book will probably delight you. If you are English, you may learn a lot if you can bother to persevere with it.
22 comments|135 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 August 2009
This is the first non-fiction book I have ever bought on the strength of reviews alone and they were absolutely right. I am not an absolute beginner at crochet but similar books have had projects that are far too demanding for me and I suspect other people at a similar level. This one is perfect: clear, well illustrated instructions, the spiral binding makes reading and crocheting together easy and, most important of all, the designs really work and anyone with basic knowledge could do them. UK readers should note that it uses American crochet terms. Thoroughly recommended.
on 14 February 2010
I am a relative beginner to Crochet and after working out that the stitches were written in the USA format, I found it really easy to follow. There is a description in the back of the book with the basic crochet stitches, so even those confused by the american terminology can easily work it out. Also for each motif, there is a chart which as a novice, I found really helpful to follow the location of the stiches. I love the book and have found it inspirational to explore the extensive patterns and motifs and start creating my own. I am confident it will keep me busy and be useful for years to come!
Beyond the Square Crochet Motifs
on 14 March 2010
a lovely ideas book, if you are English beware that this is an American book and the terms are different, but it is easy to translate so don't let this put you off buying this book
on 27 October 2009
I bought this book because 1) the recommendation of the girl that rules a crafts blog that I love and 2)the cover. Both says that the designs are new, beautiful ones and modern ones.
The organization of the book is really good, the explains are better and the amount of ideas is incredible.
Is not only a list of patterns, she gives also ideas of how to use the squares and tricks to make the work easier.
Even the spiral in the center of the book makes it easy to use and preserve. I love it.
on 21 July 2009
An interesting array of patterns both written and in diagram form suitable for all crochet workers. A beautifully illustrated book.
on 17 February 2011
Usually when I buy a crochet or knitting book I do one or two things from it and then it sits on the shelf gathering dust- not this one, I can't put it down!

The patterns are clear and easy to follow, her colour sense is inspirational, and for a tweaker like me it's also easy to follow her logic and come up with another 50 patches.

If you get confused by American terminology then you can easily follow the diagrams, and the photos of each piece are big and enough for you to see almost every stitch too.

There aren't any complete-project instructions, so if you don't like working out things like how much yarn you'll need and how many of each square to make it won't be for you. She gives a good explanation of how to do that in the introduction, so even if you've never tried before you'll be able to now.

My only quibble is that most of the triangles need a lot of rejigging to make the sides straight and the corners 60degrees, but even if you just ignore all the triangles there's plenty to get excited about elsewhere so it hasn't dimmed my enthusiasm.

Buy it, you'll be happy you did ;-)