5.0 out of 5 stars Top Quad Core CPU.
As of 04/29/2012, this is the current top-end "premium" tier Intel chip - about 5-10% faster than the i7-2700K which it replaces. The current top-end "extreme" tier is and will remain the six core i7-3960X until the second half of 2013, when the Ivy Bridge-E is released.

Published on 1 May 2012 by Dad

3.0 out of 5 stars Have i missed something?
Everyone says this is the best thing since toast and i don't know why this CPU seems to be not much faster than my old quad core q8300. Rendering times, it still takes like an hour to render a 30 mins 4Mbps WMV video with z77 mobo and 8GB 1600Mhz ram.
Published 6 months ago by Brad

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Quad Core CPU., 1 May 2012
Dad "Just a DAD" (Bristol) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Intel 3rd Generation Core i7-3770K CPU (4 x 3.50GHz, Ivy Bridge, Socket 1155, 8Mb L3 Cache, Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0) (Accessory)

It overclocks nearly as high as Sandy Bridge and heats up more with voltage. This means 4.4 to 4.7 GHz will be around the limit on air. Note that if you do not plan to overclock and/or intend to run virtual machines, the plain 3770 is the cheaper and better choice as it has Intel SIPP, vPro, VT-d and TXT enabled (the K has these disabled).

At its official retail price, three hundred and thirty two dollars, it is currently one of the best values for a high performance chip in the market. The next steps up are 2-3 times this price. At time of writing (the morning of release), it is marked up 5% above retail and has the wrong list price.

The GPU performance compared to the 2700K is about 50% faster, which is equivalent to a $40-60 video card. This is enough to play most games at mediocre quality with a mediocre framerate or run Quick Sync very fast (Intel's custom medium-quality h264 encoder; about 300 frames per second on 1080p video).

If you do not have much use for the GPU, most i5 and i7 owners will have a hard time justifying the Ivy Bridge upgrade. All other slower chips will see a substantial improvement. Another good value is the Ivy i5 3570K which is something like 0-15% slower and 30% cheaper.

The new motherboard lineup consists of the Z77, Z75, H77, Q77, Q75 and B75 chipsets. The major improvements over the Sandy Bridge generation is native USB 3.0 support, PCIe 3.0 (with Ivy chips only) and SSD-HDD hybrid caching. Z/H/X all have CPU overclocking. The 77s have the SSD caching. Most owners of this chip will probably get a Z77 which is feature rich and nearly the same price (about ninety dollars for the cheapest board currently).

[Sources: AnandTech, TomsHardware, overclock.net; see comments for some minor extra detail]

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good CPU for Workstation, 21 July 2012
The Intel i7 3770K is a fantastic processor, I wanted to build a workstation PC for 3D graphics, but I couldn't afford a proper Intel Xeon CPU, so I opted for this instead. I was a little apprehensive about using an i7 instead of a Xeon for professional level work, but so far I have been pleasantly surprised. Admittedly it isn't as fast as a Xeon, it was never going to be, but its not as far off as I had first thought.

I haven't tried overclocking this yet, but it idles at 1600mhz for most tasks, it only every changes when I start animating or modelling in 3D applications. The Intel Turbo Boost feature confuses me slightly, the CPU never seems to run at its described 3.5ghz, always shooting up to its 'Turbo Boost' levels of 3.9ghz, which I thought would have been reserved for only the most intense of operations.

Ultimately, you can't go far wrong with this CPU, unless you work for Pixar and need the most powerful machine known to man, this will be more than good enough for anybody's needs, especially if you don't want to fork out for the i7 extreme or Xeon CPU's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Everything I do, 27 Mar 2013
Garry Mcanally (Scotland, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Please let me start by point out I do some intense gaming and intense video editing as well as he light load stuff like word documents ect for college,

As a computer student, I knew what I was going to need to give me the 'horse power' in all round applications. And the I7 3770K is great for this. Whilst only having 4 physical cores, it can be hyper-threaded into 8 cores. I had previously read that this wasnt as good as an 8 physical cored processor -as your probably have guessed, but I went ahead with my purchase.

Instillation was relatively simple, but I was still neverous at placing the brackets back over - I didint want to damage a pin on a 250 CPU. But everything installed great! Please note, this does require 2x 6 pin power for the PSU.

After instillation I done what any other self confessed geek would do; I jumped straight into my benchmark software. Firstly, I tried the Intel Burn Test -which isn't actually made by intel. This little piece of software seen all 8 threads jump up to 100% load and reached around 68 Degrees Celsius. On a after market Corsair H60 Cooler.

I then used 3D Mark 11 and Vantage, unfortunately I do not have these results to share but the end result wasn't stunning but it was highly respectable.

But I guess it more of a work load based thing. So I opened up my Sony Vegas Pro 12 (64 Bit) and started doing some video editing. The results were brillant! I edit in 1920x1080p full HD and the CPU was utilizing all threads for the work @ around 50-60%. I then rendered the video and the cores reached the expect 60-80% work load and raised to 50 Degrees Celsius. My 10 minute video was done in 7 minutes! I was astonished! I was previously using an AM3 AMD Phenom x4 955 BE and that took up to and hour for a similar piece!

But for the gamers out there, I highly recommend this! It will be coming down in price and games will start to use those all importent threads within the next couple of years. Especially since the next gen consoles have up to 8 cores! You're really wanting a system that will run games brillantly. As I said, video editing wise this is dandy but in-games it's actually great! I play things like Shogun 2 and the recent Total War installments and the thing runs them great - I dont have any stats sorry,but It copes with any issues in 4v4 land battles at 50-60 FPS. Please note, I use a dedicated video card (GTX 570 2.5 GB).

Overall,I love this CPU! It idles at around 30 Degrees for me and is clocked perfectly-I haven't tried O.C yet. But Im confident in doing so in the future. If you do alot like the things above, Get this! You'll not regret it!

My Specs:
Mo/Bo: ASUS Maximus V Gene
RAM: 8 GB : 1333 Mhz
GPU: EVGA GTX 570 HD 2.5 GB
CPU: I7 3770K @ 3.5 Ghz
PSU: X-Case 900 Watt
Case: X-Case S1

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 26 Jun 2013
There is no need for Haswell the boards are more expensive and as a gamer you will pay more and get a 2% benefit. This CPU is just as good and will be future proofed for next-gen games with hyperthreading. You WILL need 8 threads in the future to run next-gen games at good settings. The 8 threads on this CPU will prevent being CPU limited in games. You must get this over a 3570K or a 4670K.

5.0 out of 5 stars As expected, 12 Nov 2013
I’ve chosen 3770K over Intel’s 4th generation processor (Core i7 4770K) as I was concerned with the latter’s oveclocking abilities. 4770K runs much hotter and there is also a big chance it will not go over 4.2GHz. It is also marginally faster at the same clock speed.

The other reason to chose 3770K over the newer one was the slightly lower price for the motherboard and the CPU itself.

I was not disappointed and the processor passed an 8 hour Prime95 stability test at 4.5 GHz and 1,176V. The temperatures were in the upper 60’s C with my SilverArrow cooler which is perfectly acceptable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Use this at work and now at home., 3 Aug 2013
J. M. Jones "JJ" (Hampshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
I use this for commercial C++ devel at work. Heavy build loads, heavy data loads during unit / functional / system testing.
Perfectly adequate for a cruncher. It's nice putting the -j7 on the make command. Saves time.
I now have one at home in a nice new Intel z77 board. Runs at 4.2 using a Zalman cooling fan. All good. Amazing in fact.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerfull chip for....everything, 26 July 2013
Had this for over a year now and its still destroying anything i throw at it, its an easy OC to 4.6Ghz and runs stable and cool on air, people may wince at temps over 60degrees when benchmarking which is higher than sandy go to but you have to remember that the TJ Max on this chip is over 115 degrees which gives plenty of headroom even if your up to 80 in benchmarking. Remember that bencharking will provide the hottest temps you will ever see as it runs your chip at 100%, even the most demmanding aplications will only hit this for a few secconds here and there as they are limited by other factors.

If your not going to overclock don't buy the K version and dont waste money on a Z77/Z68 mobo when a H67/61 will give you all the features bar overclocking and save you a fair few quid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice CPU, 17 Jun 2013
Came Quick and without a scratch. Love this product. 4 day after i purchased the item it was on my front door.

5.0 out of 5 stars Replacement CPU, 31 Mar 2013
Very good for video editing as this can use a lot of power and sometimes freezes this does not it handles multiple progs with ease and power to spare a good companion to the sabre tooth Asus motherboard

5.0 out of 5 stars I7- 3770K CPU WoW..., 9 Mar 2013
Decided after many happy years with AMD to go back to INTEL this time, slotted into the asus p8z77-m pro with corsair 16gb 1600MHZ vengeance dd3 memory, make sure you use paste on the intel cooler and its fine. my last cpu was a AMD X6 BLACK 1100 T 3.3, A great cpu too, but with the I7 everything seems so much more quicker and smoother :)